Arc Seconds

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanMan4142

Newly Enlightened
What do you all think about the arc seconds? do they tend to have major flaws or are they simply minor cosmetic ones? I have been considering the purchase of a longbow micra but if I can get a good arc second for $20 less then I may do that.
Thanks for the input.

m1match

Newly Enlightened
I have an Arc 4+ rev. 1 second that I can't figure out why it's a second. It's white, bright, and the switch functions perfectly. Arc has said that some of their Arc 4+ rev 2 seconds have difficult switches or flicker at the brightest level, but I'm very happy with mine.

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never had a problem with any Arc Seconds. Are you looking at any specific one (LS, Arc 4, etc)? Peter usually states the reason they are seconds. Also, I think they come with a two week satisfaction guarantee.

-Mike

DanMan4142

Newly Enlightened
I am looking at the LS models.

also what model of LS am I more likely to get, if any(LSH, LSL, first run, etc.) it seems to me that their newer models would be the ones they are selling at this point, but i have no idea

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought an LSH second and am very happy with it. I think the reason it was a second was the fact that there was some "striping" noticeable on the tailcap only. Other than that, it works pefectly. The one I got was an ST.

Glenn

Enlightened
I have both a LSH and an ARC 4+ second.

I am VERY happy with both.

Glenn

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Arc Seconds (warranty)

They don't come with a warranty (beyond the 2 week
return) AFAIR so you have to decide if the (say) 1% chance
of an infant mortality failure is worth the savings over
a non-seconds light.

If Arc and their suppliers burn in the electronics
(after assembly) then they should be at the bottom
of the bathtub curve (i.e. very low rate of failures).
If they don't then, you may get one that fails in
infancy. (Google for bathtub curve failure rate if you
don't understand electrical-engineer-speak.)

Greg

mahoney

Enlightened
I have had about 8 ARC LS seconds,some were a bit dimmer than average, but still usefull, a couple had greenish Luxeons, a couple were perfect except for anodizing defects or epoxy smudges, and one had obviously slipped in a vise when something was tightened leaving gouges in the head (that one was the brightest of all). All of them were quite useable and except for a couple I traded, I still have and use most of them.

I find all models of the LS usefull and even the rev. 0.9/rev. 1.0 models have some advantages in terms of alkaline battery life and being able to use a single AA. So no matter what you get it should be a decent light. On the other hand, if a "grab bag" is not to your taste, a first quality Micra is only $20 more.

Or you could just get both. :)

spgrk

Newly Enlightened
I have an Arc 4+ second (#0324), cosmetically perfect, functions as it is supposed to, but possibly is not quite as bright as a "first": at the highest level, it is still outshone by my Arc LSL-S. Then again, maybe the LSL is unusually bright - I don't have any other Arcs to compare them with. The 4+ has a beam which is very slightly greenish when viewed next to the LSL's blue-violet beam; on its own, most people would say the 4+ beam is white.

Overall, I'm very happy with the build quality and functionality of the Arcs.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
A while back, I bought six LS seconds. One had two slight scratches on the body. One was a definite green color, but very bright. Three were perfect as far as I was able to determine. The sixth one was flawed; I was unable to unscrew the tail from the body. Rather than try to mess with it, I sent it back. Arc gave me a new second in its place -- another perfect one. Seconds are the way to go if you have the time to check them out and the willingness to ask for any flawed ones to be replaced.

Paul

BobVA

Enlightened
I've had two - one was noticeably purple but I liked it (until it got stolen...with my only twisty on it!!) The second is darn near perfect - very white and seems plenty bright.

ARC seconds compare very favorably with other's prime, and the two-week return makes it relatively safe gamble.

Cheers,
Bob

DanMan4142

Newly Enlightened
well I just tried to order a LS second, and they are not in stock right now. Does anyone know how often they usually get more seconds? I know I can place a preorder for one but I dont want to wait too long if I can help it.

Status
Not open for further replies.