Broken emitter (pic)

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
okay, so i received ARC LSH-P second (prolly better named as third or fourth /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif ). Upon firing it (hey, at least it lights up), i saw the ugliest beam that i had seen before. The beam is very similar from one produced by SE + NX05 optic, but with the upper half of the dome cut. Or like a led with cut epoxy + optic. Very ugly. The beam is best depicted like the warp line you see on the side whenever you see scifi film about the outer space. Anyway, not happy with the beam, i decided to change the emitter. So this is where the mess-up started. I decided to use dremel to remove the circuit & the optic, so there go the retaining rings (both metal and plastic). I cut them in half. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
luckily, the circuit board is still intact /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif the luxeon, as you would expect, had its dome removed and had it stick into the hole in the optic. But guess what, both the phospor layer AND the bond wires are still intact!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

so, without further ado, here are the pics.

below, pic of the lux with no dome. not lighted.

nodome1.JPG

then, just to show that it still lights up:
(yea, i know, the pic blurs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. The thing in the center is the beam)

nodome2.JPG

another shot, dark environment:

nodome3.JPG

Trying to duplicate the result, i tried to remove the dome from one of my crappy lux (SE, too dim to be useful). But the result is not as good. the dome removed, alright, but it carries the phospor layer with it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif and it manages to cut one of the bond wires. So thinking "what the heck, it is broken already, might as well try repair it. It cannot get any worse anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif ," I tried resolder the bond wire together, and success /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
here is pic:

soldered_lux.JPG

notice, the solder flux on one of the bond wire and the missing phospor layer. Fired it up, the color is blue, as one would expect

anyway, thanks for reading /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
You must have had fun soldering that bond wire!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif