Class 2: "Megasonic"

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Class 2: \"Megasonic\"

Here are the details of the "Megasonic".
Image-BF315503BC4311D8.jpg-thumb_202_269.jpg

When i discovered Luxeons last summer I was determined to modifiy my drill lantern since the batteries have like a 200W+ capability, combined with the large head, it's a perfect blend.

I bought a couple 4.5" square x 1" thick heatsinks last aug on eBay.

enter: loooong pause... I had to wait for Lumiled to invent the Lux3 ;-) and in april when I discovered the Lux3 and the CPF.. it re-kindled the fire inside.

So.. I bought some emitters, and reflectors (SO17XA) the xa is for x-tra awesome, and a BuckPuck buck driver 1000mA model with the external pot for brightness.

I built a 'breadboard' of the parts, just setting the emitters on the square heatsink..

Image-479D8D4CBC4011D8.jpg-thumb_269_202.jpg

I was able to dim the 3 emitters down to about 30mA and maxxed out just shy of 1000mA.

Naturally.. to make this work, I had to get the monster heatsink into the light... so after about 40 minutes with a sawzall and a belt sander, i turned it into something resembling a round 4 1/2 inch heatsink.
Image-BF2EA348BC4311D8.jpg-thumb_269_202.jpg

I had to drill holes in just the right places to power the emitters (to miss the fins)... the emitters were attached with arctic silver thermal epoxy. here is a pic of the emitters and reflectors on the heatsink:
Image-BF2EC976BC4311D8.jpg-thumb_269_202.jpg

Initially I had no place to put the pot... it actually was in the face between emitters, and also I had the driver hooked up through the built-in driver, so lost more power..and had a max output of about 9W... where the buck puck drew about 11.5 at max so that had to go..

Problem: the low-voltage cutout was built into that circuit, so i had to built a new one.
Image-022C2D48BC4311D8.jpg-thumb_269_202.jpg

I built it with only ONE active device.. originally with (2) potentiometers and (4) resistors but did add in a third potentiometer to control the minimum brightness... way cool.. now i can run 1/4W at the emitters (total) for 7 Days straight!

You can check out the detailed pictures here.

The results?
It turned this:
Image-479F61CBBC4011D8.jpg-thumb_202_269.jpg

into this:
Image-479F3BCEBC4011D8.jpg-thumb_202_269.jpg

You can check out all the beamshots here.

Here is the Megasonic Web Page. It inclues all the pictures i've taken of what used to be called 'MegaMod' and now is called "Megasonic" from the panasonic drill battery lantern used as the host.

I almost forgot to mention... one of the best improvements.. was BREAKING out (it was glued in) the original crappy (excuse me... VERY crappy) lens and getting a custom-built 3mm thick ultra clear glass lens from flashlightlens.com I will never make a light without one.

Where the future lead? Well... as awed as I am... just like the poll on my lux3W tasklight post shows... "if bright is good than brighter is better"... On purpose when I designed it I put the emitters spaced far enough apart i could add more emitters; originally considering doubling the emitter count to 6; imagine that! Of course that would bring the battery life down to 3hrs or so, but 360 lumens of BEE YOU TEA FULL Luxeon light... I am not sure if the heatsink can dump 20W of heat, but it does fine with 10 or so.

Being more practical... I think i'll be adding a 4th emitter because i don't have to add another Buck Puck to do so, just another series emitter... it's just begging to be done, right?

Power summary: I have it set to dim down to exactly 1/4 W total at the emitters and up to just shy of 9W... It will run 6.5Hr at full power and the heat sink never gets remotely too hot to touch, not to mention it's internal so kinda difficult to try.... at min power the math works out to 7.04Days runtime! some time I will try it out, but I can say.. that when the battery dies at full power... i can let the battery recover for 5 minutes and get 2 more hours at min power... love my light.

Well that's all folks... check out the detailed pics and captions, let me know what you think... it would not be unthinkable that i'd build one of these for an interested party it was a lot of fun to build the first one.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Class 2: \"Megasonic\"

Any thoughts or feedback? I'm planning to add another emitter when i make my emitter order for the minimighty.

geek

Newly Enlightened

Pretty neat.

> ...considering doubling the emitter count to 6... I am not sure if the heatsink can dump 20W of heat,

You could incorporate a small fan to blow air through your heatsink fans when the temperature exceeds some arbitrary limit. It would be pretty easy to build a little fan control circuit that would consume almost no power, and a small fan wouldn't drain much either (compared to your emitter array).

nexro

Enlightened

Very nice. That looks like one of the heatsinks I can find in my computer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Will this be the first flashlight with a fan? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

It is one of those heatsinks from a computer.. I have been considering putting in a fan, but really didn't want to build yet another ckt to control based on the temp as sexy as that is... i've found a bunch of nice fans on eBay since i'm working on a similar mod for other drill-batt flashlights all of which have a much much smaller head and no way a convection heat sink can dump the 11W or so... I think i'm just going to add 1 emitter to mine vs 3 so i don't have to add another buck puck, however since i could run the second buck puck off the same low volt and dimmer ckt it would be pretty easy, maybe i have to talk my self into or out of it... how about a vote from the peanut gallery...

[ ] go for broke.. go to SIX baby... 360 lumens can't be beat

[ ] nah 240 is plenty and costs about $20 vs $85

I have to say i'm still in awe by the light.. my most frequent use is 'nightlight' I aim it straight up at the ceiling while i'm typing on the computer at night and i can see all the keys in the perfect dim white light that lights the whole room. (probably set to about 1/2W... would run 3+days at that setting).

-awr

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

I wanted to mention, i use my megasonic every single day... typically hours at a time... as a nightlight... the perfect amount of light for typing on a computer late at night... and also always have with for handyman jobs..

I do need an 'audio' pot to swap out for the linear model that comes with the buck puck (very illogical)... anybody have a source for a small 10k audio (log) taper potentiometer?

-awr

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

too funny... i just voted for army light... and it bears striking simlarities to a current design i'm working on... to down-size megasonic into a smaller head to use with the traditional drill-batt-lights which have a smaller head... i need to use a fan just like you did for army light, i found a very cool (oops i really didn't mean that) fan that is a 'blower' style and is made of copper...

Minimighty is taking it's time but slow and steadily being fabricated, comforably i think by laborday i'll have a couple kick butt prototypes fully operational and the pa patent already applied.. at that point i'll be figuring out the fastest way to produce a couple hundred... i would like to have them available by hunting season.

-awr

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the vote....
Yeah my other project (other then a tiny 1w light) uses 2 x 5w. And right now I am looking at ways to cool this thing without losing the waterproving. I dont know whether there is a way... maybe a heatpipe... but thats probably too big for a 3D light.... Challenges everywhere...