Arc LSH or SF E1/KL1

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
The ARC LS is smaller.

ARC has 2 hour runtime.
KL1 has 1.5 hour runtime.

The ARC has a more efficient circuit.

The Brightness is about the same if you compare the LSL-S to the KL1 with a low dome. KL1s were low domes, but the new KL1s have high dome Luxeons (at least some have high domes).

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of the E1e's are being shipped with the clicke tailcap, It has a glass lens, scalloped bezel, and you can get modded upgrades for it, like the PR-T that absolutely blows away the standard KL1 and ARC or the two stage clickie that Mcgizmo is making.

I have this setup (E1e-Z57-PR-T) and has been very comfortable to carry 24/7. It is about the lenght of a Swiss Army Knife and very comfortable to use.

Both lights are good, just have to pick. Do a search it will help in making your decision.

HTH
Alex

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a personal fan of the KL1. I think that they are really cost effective. The ARC in stock form is a bit brighter and it does have a more efficient circuit. Of course, both can be modded to put out more light. The reason that I like the KL1 is because of its flexibilty. Although it is a bit longer than the Arc, the body portion is slimmer. Both lights are very pocketable.

What makes the KL1 so flexible is its ability to run on 1, 2 or 3 cells. 3 to 9 volts, that is. You could also replace the optic with an SO17XA reflector for a much nicer beam, if you get one of the latest that has a high dome in it.

I just remembered, what I wrote above applies to the older KL1's with the cooling fins. I haven't had my hands on a new one yet.

JimM

Newly Enlightened
The flexibility in using the KL1 on an E2E is a big plus to me, and the ability to use the AA body with the Arc LS is just as attractive.
Jim

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd have to vote for the Arc LS. I'd rather run 2 NiMH AAs than 2 x 123 with the KL1/E2e. Of course I would bump up the current on the Arc and drop a reflector in there too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Peter

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
to be fair, here are some similarities:

1. Both can be run from 2 AA nimh. KL1 + UBH is one example.
2. First run ARC LS is actually pretty inefficient and has approx (albeit higher) efficiency than the KL1. The second rev has a lot better efficiency.
3. Both available in two flavor, LD and HD.
4. Both can be modded, either by adding sense resistor in paralel, changing inductance, or even with custom circuit and heatsink all together.

Now the differences:
1. Arc first rev can run from 1AA while the second rev cannot. KL1 can run from 2AA, 1, 2 and 3 CR123 batteries on all revisions. That means, KL1 is both step up and step down, which explains its inefficiency, while Arc is step up only (even though some people reported it accepts rechargeable 123, which is 3.7V).
2. KL1 LD tends to have a purplish white tint, while ARC in general have a more whitish, more beautiful tint. I have no experience with KL1 HD, so other may add.
3. KL1 is longer than LS head.
4. LS is prone to over-tightening, while KL1 is stronger in that department

well, those are all that i can gather at the time.

mbt25

Newly Enlightened
I apologize if this is a silly question but how would you use two AA batteries with e1e and a KL1 head? Or am I misunderstanding what is being said? Thanks.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
The KL1 will work with a UBH, which is a 2XAA or 3X123 body. It will, of course, also work with an E1e or E2e body.

What is also cool about getting an E2e body and a KL1 is that it is a nice beginning of a Surefire collection. If you had an E2e and a KL1, then you'd have a nice LED light. A fairly bright incand. light, and the basis for using other E series compatible heads, like the KL4. You could also get your hands on an E2C adpater and use any of the heads for the standard sized lights.

From a pure aesthetics standpoint, I like the E1/KL1 (or E1e/KL1) better than the Arc LSH. With its slightly longer body and better knurling, the E1/E1e is easier to hold and push-button, too, for guys like me with big hands. Just overall a more user-friendly light.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Pilas are something that I forgot altogether. They are, of course, a plus.

mbt25

Newly Enlightened
I went to the http://www.vital-gear.com/ for a UBH. When you go to the page that shows the UBH's and click buy online it takes you to another site that just has the mounts that they sell. I was just trying to find out the cost, am I doing something wrong or is there no link to the page to purchase or at least price the UBH?

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
This is a tough choice. It's going to depend on what's more important to you.

-runtime?
-size?
-beam?

Anymore, I'm finding it really difficult to use an LED light with an optics. I really prefer the reflector vs optics, however there's a big difference in size and total runtime whereas the Arc LSH wins on both fronts.

illmatic

Newly Enlightened
What's great about the E1 is it's modularity which allows you to upgrade it easily. You could always go with the TW4(E1e/KL4) if you want to shell out more $ on a 5W Luxeon.