SF G2+KL3

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, SF says that there is no LED conversion for the G2, yet the KL3 fits on all the other 2 cell P60 lights. Can I use a KL3 on a G2 with no ill effects?

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
The KL3 works on the G2. I haven't read of any ill effects. The KL5 will work on the G2 also.

Kitchener

Newly Enlightened
That's interesting. What does the KL5 bring to the table beyond the KL3's performance? Where would one look for a good price for one?

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
I only mentioned the KL5 because it's possible to use it on a G2.
The Kl5 is a 5 watt. It has more lumens. If you're going to run it continuously I would recommend that you use it with an aluminum body so that it could dissipate heat better than it could with a plastic body.
With a KL5 it's not so much a matter of finding a good deal on one as it is finding one for sale.

Kitchener

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like a non-starter (plastic body/heat, et al), but, the KL5 is not available as an a la carte item anywhere?

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am sure you could find them. I reside in Singapore and I bought a KL5 for my M2 months ago just shortly after the L5 is launched.

MXDan

Newly Enlightened
I was using a KL3 on my G2 for a couple of months with a clickie, until I bought a Z2 body for it. It worked great!

symes

Enlightened
Of all the SF LED heads, KL1-6 and I have the lot, the one that always impresses me the most is the KL5. Don't know whether it's just the one I have, but it is just the brightest, whitest thing I've seen. The KL6 does have a bit more throw and allows up to 3 or 4 cells which helps run-time, but that KL5 is just a nice size, perfectly defined white circle of light and dead bright.

I've used it on either an M2 or on an E2 with an E2C which makes it much more pocketable...

I have a 'power failure' KL3 on a C3 body for 7+ hours run-time, but it is not anywhere near the brightness of the KL5.

Awesome head. But I would echo the comments about having heat dissipation - my KL5/M2 combo runs almost too hot to handle after not very many minutes.

kind regards,

Simon

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
GarageBoy,

How you plan to use the light might help you decide.

For interment use of a bright light the KL5 is great.

For a light with more runtime the KL1 or KL3 are nice.

The KL1 will work on 1,2 or three cells.

The KL3 works on 2 or 3 cells.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
The L4/KL4 is "the" flood light and it works with a Pila 168s. The L4 is bright with similar Lumens to a P60 but more flood. The L4 is the size of a E2e.

The L5/KL5 has a tighter beam than a L4. The L5 is about the size of a G2/C2. The L5 works with a Pila 168S.

The KL1 or KL3 will give you less light with more runtime. The ones I have all have a purple tint. The KL1/E2e works with a Pila 168S. The KL3/G2,C2 etc works with a Pila 168S. The KL3 on a 3 cell (C3,D3 etc) works with 2 Pila 150S batteries.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I have a G2 with a KL3 on it.

A couple nit picks....

It's HEAVY and BIG on the G2. Light has terrible balance.
And my KL3 has the most putrid pink tint. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

I hope to someday get the KL3 modded by Chop with a warm white Lux3. And maybe get a 3 cell aluminum light to put it on.

I don't see either happening anytime soon... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif