Darth Vader sculpted onto the National Cathedral?!

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMG_9762-closeup.jpg

That's... Definitely not a Catholic Church.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=National+Cathedral+Darth+Vader

Hmm, seems like a rather dumb way to deface a cathedral like that, even if it's hard to see. Appearantly there's also a girl with pigtails and braces, and another of an old man with an umbrella and buck teeth. Seems unwise to let kids come up with designs for gargoyles (or Grotesques, as some pages claim they're called) for a Cathedral.

Negeltu

Enlightened
Re: Darth Vader sculpted onto the National Cathedr

I've been there many times and didn't know that..LOL..

Kiessling

Flashaholic

why not? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
after all, it is a modern American Cathedral ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif
back in the Middle Ages in Europe the Gargoyles and skulls and things they put in and on churches weren't so nice either.
bernhard

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

it's called a gargoyle if water runs through it (it gargles, get it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )and a grotesque if it's just decoration.

I think it's fine. There isn't anything religious about the gargoyles in real ancient churches. They could have been simple lintels and downspouts but that is where the stone carvers got to practice the more artistic side of their trade and do basically whatever they wanted.

Kiessling

Flashaholic

ah ... thanx a lot for the explanation! makes sense ...
bernhard

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm not apalled out anything, just surprised.

As for my statements - you really wouldn't see that on a Catholic church, it's 'unorthodox.' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

StuU

Enlightened

The National Cathedral also has a large rose window(a multi-faceted stained glass window with round shape) in which pieces of the actual moon rocks are encased. Very cool.

Not biblical. However, the Episcopals are not known for any belief in biblical inerrancy.

lambo

Newly Enlightened
Well, since -- as Bernhard says (Hi, Bernhard!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif) -- it's a modern American cathedral, I think it's about time Homer Simpson went up there. In fact, looking at Darth Vader, I don't think it would take much effort to change him into Homer.

D'oh!

lightnix

Enlightened
A few notes gleaned from a quick Google search on the subject, edited together by Yours Truly...

Gargoyles were not invented by the Church. The earliest examples have been found in ancient Egyptian, Greek and Roman architecture and date back as far as 4000 years ago. The name comes from the Latin gurgulio and the old French word gargouille, meaning "throat", but which also describes the gurgling sound made by the water running through them. Along with gargoyles and grotesques, there are chimeras - figures made of a combination of many animals, including humans.

Gargoyles were introduced to Gothic architecture in the early 13th century, to keep corrosive rain water off the rooves of cathedrals in Western Europe. The most famous collection can be found at the Cathedral of Notre Dame in Paris. Grotesques became more common in the 16th Century, when the introduction of lead drainpipes meant that the practical purpose of gargoyles became redundant.

One explanation for their form is that in the 13th Century, the Catholic Church was attempting to convert pagans to Christianity. Since pagan themes and deities had a powerful history with the people, the Church deemed it necessary to use this imagery to help make the transition into a new religion more palatable. Integrating familiar images on churches and cathedrals was thought to encourage the populace to accept the new religion and ease the transition from the old ways and old beliefs. Indeed, many gargoyles from that period are similar to the legends and figures of the ancients Celts. Also, many people were illiterate, so churches used visual images to spread the scriptures and reinforce biblical stories.

Other explanations are that gargoyles (and grotesques) were intended to frighten away evil spirits. Some believe gargoyles represent deep rooted elements within human nature ... the love of the grotesque, possibly related to our desire to view horror movies, etc. They may originally (in pre-Christian times) have been inspired by the skeletal remains of dinosaurs and other fossils.

Gargoyles and grotesques have always given carvers and sculptors a chance to delight in their creativity and have offered a welcome opportunity to get away from the more mundane aspects of their craft. Artists who carve gargoyles and grotesques have frequently been inspired by elements of contemporary culture. The Darth Vader figure is therefore not a defacement of a religious building, but something which is in keeping with a living tradition.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't resist any longer I wonder if the national cathedral has a hillary grotesque to scare away all politicians

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif