Fixed my ARC4+ Rev.2 switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

*Retired*
This switch thing on my ARC4+ Rev.2 has been bothering me for quite some time.

I finally figured out how to get my Rev.2 ARC4+ switch working quite nicely.

My Rev.2 had all the factory switch "fixes" in it.

The switch has always bothered me alot, and imho, was a huge disappointment, even with those factory fixes.

Mine had the ground down battery tube, to "fix" it.

Well, a few weeks ago, I ended up providing additional height to the front gold plate that covers the snapdome (also called tact or microswitch) switch. It also pre-loaded the rear gold leaf to the rear. This improved the switch action considerably, over they way it was received from the ARC factory.

The additional height was accomplished by desoldering the gold plate in the head, and adding additional solder, to raise it.

The other day, during lunch, I took a bunch of measurements on my ARC4+ Rev.2. No matter how many times I measured it, the body looked a good 0.020" short. I scratched my head several times, why was it ground down then???

This would result in partial depression of the microswitch, and lead to the muddy feeling I don't like, when it was put together.

So, how to reverse the factory "fix". Pulled my hair out for a few days, trying to think of the least obtrusive way to do so, and without adding additional parts.

Then I had an idea. I further raised the gold plate that covered the switch in the head section, by stretching it up.

When put together, this causes the body gold plate to be pushed back a bit further, but results in the head microswitch not being partially depressed. It also makes the gold contacts contact the battery a little harder, which as a secondary benefit got rid of my flickering problems.

Now the switch makes a decent click, that can be felt and even heard. It has additional travel before making contact with the internal switch.

I can now navigate the menus with ease, and they are much less of an issue, than in the past. Man, this is so <font color="black"> ***<font color="red"> >AWESOME!< <font color="black">*** </font> </font>

I'd say the switch operation has been improved by several orders of magnitude. It's nice, and I am very pleased.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Peter, what would be the cost of obtaining a Rev.2 ARC4+ body that has not been ground down at your factory to shorten it? I'd also like to obtain both the top and bottom gold disks, to restore the now stretched ones, price?

EmissionLine

Newly Enlightened
Arrrg. I'd really like to try this, but I doubt I'm good enough to desolder the front gold plate. How much did you stretch it up? Maybe I can do that, then stick something underneath it.

I can now navigate the menus with ease, and they are much less of an issue, than in the past.

Aha! I thought the switch would make a difference. I hope Arc considers this when revising the software. We don't need a dumbed down version! We need a better switch. :)

*Retired*
I stretched it up, prying carefully, near each of the four legs. I slightly overstretched it, say 0.040" or about 1 mm, since the battery pushes it back, since my ARC4+ body was ground down too short by the factory.

Once that showed a difference, I went further, then pushed the rear one rearwards.

*Please* keep in mind, this was on a Rev.2, *not* Rev.1

geek

Newly Enlightened
I admire both your handiwork and your nerve, NewBie. The switch is pretty much the only think keeping me from loving this light, and it sounds as if you've solved the problem very neatly. I wish I could muster the courage to apply my soldering iron to my 4+.

Status
Not open for further replies.