what kind of car was this?

turbodog

Flashaholic
A while back I was watching some "outdoor sports" type show. On it they were racing a type of dune buggy looking car up the loose sandy side of old volcanoes. Furthermore, the would start the race by skimming over the top of water, held aloft by some VERY fast tire spinning.

These were not volkswagon beetles either... they were running 800-1200 HP engines. I would like to find more about these on the net, but don't know where to look, and all my searching has turned up nothing.

Ideas?

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Not a clue but my testosterone level jumped 9% reading your post. That is a manly rig. If you find it please post a link.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Back to the "water crossing" for a minute. They would start the race by going over a stretch of water that was about 200 yards long. Much tire spinning was involved. I though that the water was only about 6" deep, or at least it looked like that.

Then I saw one of them slow down to "stall speed"... the whole car sank outta sight. This confirmed what theoretically I though to be true, that if you could spin the tires fast enough, you could "float" over water. Pretty amazing stuff in any case.

B@rt

Flashaholic
This maybe? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif
1.jpg

Icelandic offroad.com

turbodog

Flashaholic
Yeah, that's exactly it. I kept thinking it was new zealand though.

Also, in the meantime, I found some pretty good results looking up "sand rail" and "sand dragster".

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
The old piper cub aircraft pilots would use the oversized balloon tires (about 2-3x wider/larger than regular tires) and they could use a calm lake as part of a runway. They would get some speed up on land and pop onto the water to complete the takeoff--or land on the lake and run-up on shore to stop.

I had a similar plane (TaylorCraft L-2M) but never had the big tires or a place (and nerve) to try it.

-Bill

jtice

Flashaholic
Yep, Ive seen those before.
I saw a show on TLC,,, or Discovery Channel.

Most are about 1000 HP or more, and then have a Nitrous Boost !

They can go over water cuz of the sheer power and speed.
Just like those little lizards that can run on water, they are moving so fast, they hydroplain over the water.

Yes, most the time I think they do that in Iceland.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Bump for an interesting thread,
even if it IS seven years old !

:bump:

Top Gear (the BBC version) had an episode in Iceland.

They featured some of this Water-Driving, and it certainly looked Cool !

Latest posts