1W - 3W in dorcy AA question

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a modded dorcy AA with a 1W white and a NX05 optic as my EDC. I use it all the time, for work, for checking on the children, and for lighting up the back yard. Even on an alky AA it is a great mod. I have used a lithium 3v from a CRV-3 pack, and at spec power it really impresses other people. I recientally took apart a Li-ION cell phone pack and found two of those AA sized 3.6v cells. I have made a charger for them and use them in my AA ( with a coin style diode in series to keep the luxeon current at 370mA. if I run with the cell straight I got over 800mA to the emitter. (I am going to upgrade to a LUX-III as soon as funds permit. My question is this.. what is the MAX current a 1 watt star (with adiquate heatsinking) can handle? or should I just not push it until I can get a 3 watter?

Jeff

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I'm pretty sure the Lumileds spec sheet says that 350 ma is the max that the 1 watt will handle in continuous use. Run it with more current and some Damage should be expected. That damage could be pre-mature death of the LED or just getting dimmer (much) quicker.

I like your use of the 3.6v li-Ion. I run mine on the 1/2 crv3.

Daniel

john_bud

Newly Enlightened
Jeff,

Can you provide some details on the 3.6V Li Ion battery pack and charger? Those CR-V3's get pretty spendy...

Thanks, John Bud

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont remember what phone the battery pack came from, I will try to dig up the pieces. I took apart the battery pack, and seperated the two cells and smoothed the ends. Then I took the charger,regulater board that was inside the battery pack, and glued it to the back of a RS 1AA battery holder. Then I hardwired the old battery IN contact points to the wal wart charger that was for the phone. Presto, custom LiION AA charger. Only thing is there is no low voltage cutoff circuit now. Oh well, the phone was free.
Jeff