Point Light by Lifestyle Fascination

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't seen anything on the forum about this light:

http://www.shoplifestyle.com/store/product.asp?dept%5Fid=39&pf%5Fid=6371&mscssid=DC9ES9CXP5U68H2CQCMKLAWUDVA78EBA

I'll be the guinea pig! I ordered one earlier today, and when it arrives I'll tell ya's all about it. I thought it looked sort of intriguing even though I'm not crazy about button cell lights...I already know that the advertised run-time is gonna be a BUST, but it still looks like a pretty cool light none-the-less. I'll keep ya posted!

PJD

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Powered by four Li means 12V. ...I also wondered when I saw that, if it's emitter is just a 5mm LED, or what?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Do keep us posted.......

gwbaltzell

Enlightened
Was a thread a short while back including a breakdown photo. Looks like a 5 mm. No mention of Li cells. Could these be the rare Energizer 1.5 V buttons. The more commonly available 3 V are the thickess of 2 std. A76. More detail will be interesting.

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay...I received this light in the mail today. As soon as I turned it on, I was immediately PO'd...the batteries were almost completely dead. I pulled them out and found that they were slightly corroded as well. In addition to that, the cells are NOT lithium cells as advertised by Lifestyle Fascination; they're either Zinc-Air size 312 or alkaline button cell equivelant...but they're DEFINITELY not lithium! I went to my local Wally World to get some new button cells, put 'em in and fired the light up. The output isn't bad for a 5mm one-banger, but I've definitely seen better. I don't have a light meter, but to my eye the output seemed to be about 2/3 or so of my Arc AAA standard. Not bad, but certainly nothing to write home about...even for a single 5mm LED. Add to that the incredibly poor run-time for button cells and this light isn't all that great. The up-side is that because of the modular design of the body, this little thing just SCREAMS to be modded (see the link provided by gwbaltzell above). The overall quality of the light is quite good. The machining is top quality, and the pieces all fit together quite nicely. The clickie switch in the tail has a very good feel to it, but there is no intermittent setting...it's "click on, click off". I don't think it was worth the $24.95 plus shipping price tag for what it is, but I may change my mind when I figure a way to mod it. The module of my MicroIlluminator does fit in the bezel end, but is just a hair too wide at the very outer edge to screw the bezel back on. A AAA cell is just a hair too wide and too long to use with the MI module, but a AAAA cell seems to fit quite nicely! The wheels are turning...I'll get back to ya on this one!

My impression: it's a sharp looking little light that is put together quite well, but could definitely use some help in the output category. Lemme tinker with it for a while and see what I can come up with...FYI

PJD