High Power UV LEDs

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I use mine to murder scorpions. I can now spot a large one from better than 20 feet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

Larry

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Of course any longwave UV lamp is good for checking bathroom and kitchen areas for cleanliness. In the bathroom, urine fluoresces, and in the kitchen, soap scum and other contaminants can be revealed by UV.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Never, ever shine a UV light around toliets or wall-mounted urinators if you do not want to receive a very unpleasant surprise. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
The_LED_Museum said:
Never, ever shine a UV light around toliets or wall-mounted urinators if you do not want to receive a very unpleasant surprise. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

At LEAST don't try it immediately after eating!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

K-T

*Moderator*
What other UV/forensic LED products are available except for the modded Pelican and the 180xLED UV light mentioned above? The only other one I know about is the ARC4 - I saw a 4xLED in CSI but have no clue as what it could have been.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
K-T,

If you do a google on UV curing epoxies and adhesives, you will also find some references to portable UV lights as well as fixed lights. Although I haven't looked into it, the Dental Blue Luxeons have been used in this market and I suspect that the SHARK and the Nichia 2W will be used in similar applications if not already done so.

K-T

*Moderator*
Thanks for the explanation, Don.

Would 'Dental Blue' Luxeons be the same as 'Royal Blue'?

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
K-T said:
Would 'Dental Blue' Luxeons be the same as 'Royal Blue'?

[/ QUOTE ]
Pretty darn close:
Dental Blue>460nm
Royal Blue>455nm
(Royal Blue is also waay cheaper to buy)

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
so basically you're saying that a royal blue luxeon serves as a UV light? I guess not, I think I readed that the dental luxeon matches the wavelenght needed by dental materials and have no UV.

Speakink of UV, I also saw on CSI that they use UV lights all the time, what is the correct procedure for using it for:

spotting scorpions
detect fluorecences in kitchen/bathroom

does that funny orange acryllic is really needed?
is this orange any particular hue?

Pablo

K-T

*Moderator*
The orange glasses are needed as they filter out certain wave lenghts and make certain fluids realy shine - I've tried it with a blue KL1 and cheap orange sunglasses and while this isn't a forensic setup for sure some things realy started to shine when usind the KL1 with these glasses. So if the setup is correct the results must be even more 'useful'.,

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anybody made a torch/flashlight with a 365nm or similar LED?

IMHO the lower wavelength counts more than sheer output (at least for minerals).