could you live on rice

raggie33

*the raggedier*
could ya live on white rice if ya had to.i always wondered lol i know it is a odd thing to wonder but im a odd guy lol.it is so darn cheap i bet ya could live on it for 1 buck a year

Topper

Flashaholic*
I love Rice I could eat it every day but I would want other
things with it. I think the Brown rice is better for you however I do not care much for it.Basamati is the best to me.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can live on rice no problem. I agree Basmati rice is pretty good and brown rice is better for you.

Did you mean 1 buck per day or really per year? 1 buck per year....are you eating just one grain a day or something /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
lol every time i cook rice it grows like 3000% .first time i made it it was scary pot almost overfilled..i still always make to much. i think it will probaly be maybe more like 10 bucks i always see thease like 10 lb bags for 1 buck..im getting so i dont like meat no more

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
White rice by itself has very little nutritional value. Add beans to rice however, and you get some protein, and a big percentage of the 3rd world lives on little else but rice and beans. You can buy both in bulk for very little $$ per day.

-Keith

Topper

Flashaholic*
Raggie, 2 to 1 plain and simple 1 cup rice 2 cups water or swap a cup of chicken broth for water so I guess 1 rice and 2 liquid is the answer. Try some Lentils if you decide to stop eating meat,chicken,fish and lots of greens. I am starting to sound like my mother it is past my bed time.

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Being an Asian family, we eat rice for dinner all the time. Of course, we cook other stuff to go with it. You don't want to just have plain white rice with nothing else do you?

It is easy to make rice if you have a rice cooker. They are usually marked on the inside so you can see how much water you need to add. Then just plug it in and push the button.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is a zen thing to slowly enjoy the fragrance of white rice. We Chinese always go for different variety of dishes to consume our rice but sometimes I consume them plain just to appreciate the fragrance. Don't do that all the time or you would end up malnutritioned. Go with a balanced diet of fish, vegetables, and some red meat.

dark star

Enlightened
My usual diet ( between going out to eat chinese food and hamburgers ) is 70% lentils, 20% whole wheat pasta, 10% brown rice plus onions and tomatos for flavor. I cook this stew in a rice cooker- tastes great and is very easy to store/make. this is my dinner like 4 nights a week.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
that sounds good. there is a bean i realy like but i dont know the name. i get them.in a 15 bean mixture there kinda big and white. i realy am starting to lose my taste for meats..

Reaper

Enlightened
I could definately live on a food product known as "Jung". Almost every Asian knows this as a sort-of Chinese tamale that is made up of large sweet rice stuff with sausage, peanuts, salted egg, yellow beans and pieces of pork (fatty type I hope) steamed in leaves. There's different types with different stuffings but this is the one I love to make and eat. I could definately exist on this alone except for the fact that now my type 2 readings would go sky-high after having just one of these. Two of these would see me through the day.

paulr

Flashaholic
I never bothered with a rice cooker. 1/2 cup rice, 1 cup water, bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover the pot and cook for 20 minutes. Uncover the pot and stir in a can of bean chili and cook for a few more minutes to get the chili heated. Yummmmmm.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might try wild rice. It has a stronger flavor but has more nutrition and fiber. It's best to eat a variety of food so you get enough protein, good fats, minerals and complex carbs. White rice has a very high glycemic index and is instantly converted into sugar.

Limiting one's food to just a few choices may prevent proper absorption of all the necessary amino acids required for good health (mental & physical), and energy. Variety is the keyword.

Topper

Flashaholic*
I like Wild Rice as well however it is really a grass seed not rice at all. (my 13 year old pointed that out) has a sorta nutty flavor. I tried Black Rice and it turns purple the wife was not amused so I don't buy that any more.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
black beans are good. i love freid rice but im sure thats bad for you.my dad knows how to make it.next time i viset ill have him show me how.

Delta_FHInX

Newly Enlightened
I can eat fried rice until I make myself sick. You just get rice, butter, vergetables, chopped meat, and stir in frying pan.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definitely go for the brown rice over white. I no longer buy white rice, white bread, or white pasta. I'm whole grain all the way. The only exception is if I go to a restaurant. Even there, some chinese restaurants now offer brown rice, so if I'm lucky I can get that instead.

You get used to the taste. Just hang in there. You won't want to go back.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Delta_FHInX said:
I can eat fried rice until I make myself sick. You just get rice, butter, vergetables, chopped meat, and stir in frying pan.

[/ QUOTE ]
Right on!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
egg foo young is very good to. nowim hungry. only chinease i make well is the one that comes in that big can that has a small can atached to it i forget brand name.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
NeonLights said:
White rice by itself has very little nutritional value. Add beans to rice however, and you get some protein...

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, humans can get all of the protein they need from plain white rice. The old studies that claimed we needed massive amounts of protein were terribly flawed. They tried to use rats to extrapolate how much protein humans need and there is no comparison. Newborn rats grow very quickly. If human baby's doubled their body weight three or four times a year like rats do they would need a corresponding amount of protein. You could actually satisfy your total requirement for protein with a great many simple, boring foods, like canned corn, for instance.

High protein diets have now been shown to have adverse effects, such as calcium depletion.