Any input on a LED light

jwfarr

Newly Enlightened
I am about to srart my PD career, and I am looking to gear up.Iam looking for a LED light to carry on patrol as a small backup light. May be something that might fit in a shirt pocket with a clip.I am really not sure what company makes what. Any info would be a great help.Thank you in advance.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi and welcome! Well, for a small one with a clip, you're probably looking at something like a Inova 24/7, Streamlight Clipmate, or a Quiglite (think that's what they're called). Mind you these provide low level lighting so if you're thinking of a backup for you patrol light, you might want to consider something slightly more powerful like the SF L4 for example, or a Pelican M6 Led... Happy hunting, and hope this helps! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
If you want a really small reliable light, the Arc AAA is the winner hands down.
http://store.yahoo.com/flashlight/arcaaa.html
It looks feels and acts like a piece of military hardware. It has a pocket clip to hold it where you want it. I clip mine to the bill of a baseball cap and POOF, instant headlamp. It DOES NOT make a ton of light, but it would be good for doing paperwork or other close work.
You're braver than I for wanting to be a LEO. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Boris

Newly Enlightened
I think the Arc aaa is not enought for a backup light in a patrol. If he will need some real brightness, i agree with the SF L4 or the PM6 Led.

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
SF L4 is probably the nicest candidate. Small diameter. Good length (shortish). Clip. Rechargeable battery capable. Bright. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
Stanley said:
...or a Quiglite (think that's what they're called)...

[/ QUOTE ]
The QuiqLite is made specifically for LEOs for clipping into a uniform pocket, and allows you to read and write in the dark. My page about the QuiqLite is right here if you're interested.
I do not have a shirt with a pocket, so I clipped it to a collar for testing.

duncanmx

Newly Enlightened
FOr what its worth, I have used the PM6 LED (Pelican 1 Watt LED) at work for the last few months and find it excellent. I do notice the beam lacks throw compared to my rechargeable Surefire though.

THe PM6 however has no clip. One of my compatriots has a TL2-LED (streamlight) and it DOES have a clip. He is able to keep in on his magazine holder, with the clip to the inside of the mag holder. This does not interfere with the ability to draw the mags in a hurry and makes a convenient placed to carry the light.

Its preference really.

I would reccomend you check out a few and try to figure out how you will carry this "back-up". It has to be convenient so that you will carrry it ALL THE TIME! Otherwise your back-up will just sit in the car.

Best of luck, play safe.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you explain what the backkup light will be used for? That might help people with their suggestions. If it's for taking notes, then something like the Arc AAA may suffice. However if you are looking for anything other than in close task lighting, stay away from the Arc and its many clones. They just don't have enough output, especially in an environment where there may be other sources of stray light.