What can I do with a Mercury Vapor bulb?

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Mercury Vapor bulb [that I got from a store that was going out of business] fairly cheap. It has a screw bass that looks like it would fit in a regular light socket, but [of course] that wouldn't work without a ballast. How much are they [ballast] and is it worth messing with for this bulb? If you were me, what would YOU do with it?

Thanks!

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened
First you need to know it's wattage. If it's a normal medium base it's probly a 100 watt bulb. You may beable to get a ballast from e-bay for cheap. I belive a 100 watt ballast for a metalhalide bulb of the same wattage my work as well, but I could be wrong on that.
If it where my bulb I would buy a ballast and build it into a work light ot table lamp and use the little guy.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should add another question to my original post.

How long do these type of bulbs last?

If I didn't want to mess with finding a ballast, how much would I want to sell this bulb for?

Thanks Draco. I should see what the wattage is for it when I get home tonight.

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened
typicaly these bulbs should last for over 10,000 hours. They will darken before there end of life but you still have thousands of usefull hours from one. As for resale price would guess not more then maby 10 bucks. I could be wrong though