Longbow Eco tube

bald1

Enlightened
I've received (You *know* who you are: Thank You!!!) an OD Eco tube to augment my Micra with 2AA NiMh power capabilities. It comes with a white plastic sleeve to accommodate the AAs. The length with a twistie tailcap is the same as a AA MiniMag. The tube can also handle 3x123 (sans sleeve) but is not compatible in that configuration with the stock Micra 1W regulated LED capsule. Nor can the Eco tube be used at all with the unregulated 1W capsule in the stock Mini. When Longbow releases its projected Max torch with a 5W LED, my understanding is that it will feature this same tube for 3x123 power. They also are said to be planning addtional LED capsules besides this 5W piece. A regulated 1W for a regulated 2x123 Mini certainly. With their 1x123 Micra, 2x123 Mini, and 3x123 Eco tubes, as well as twistie and clickie tailcaps, Longbow is well positioned to build on their product line's modularity with additional 3, 6, and 9 volt LED capsules. I for one look forward to further developments from this company /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif And, of course, Don McLeish's Longbow McCapsules /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Also show here is BugOutGear's Ti pocket clip (a review of which is in the reviews area)
Micra_Mini_Eco.JPG

One thing I didn't initally notice is that there is 1 ring on the Micra tube's head end, 2 rings on the Mini, and 3 rings on the Eco. Kinda neat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

--Bob

C

Cosmic Superchunk

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif Great pics! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

I've got a Mini coming in soon from a trade I recently made and I look forward to getting a Micra.

Where do you attach the pocketclip on the light? Are they all pre-drilled to accept pocketclips?

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool. I'm hoping a Eco tube will be available soon for my (black) Micra.
CS, the tailcap is tapped for a clip, or other attachment. Rather large screw for a pocket clip, but it'll do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
There is a pic at www.bugoutgearusa.com under accessories.

edit: PIC

C

Cosmic Superchunk

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif Owen, many thanks for the link. I like that they decided to position the clip for bezel down carry, the way it should be. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

bald1

Enlightened
Owen,

Word was originally June, but it may prove to be July before the Eco tube is widely available stateside. I know some eschew the size of the Mini, but having an even larger 2AA regulated option for the Micra is quite nice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif And in a AA MiniMag size too! I still EDC the Micra in the normal 1x123 configuration.

CS,

Absolutely! Having the clip giving a bezel down pocket carry is the only way to go. As alluded to in my post above, I have a mini-review of Flavio's Ti pocket clip in the Reviews area.

Best!

--Bob

albert

Enlightened
Micra_Mini_Eco.JPG

Wow!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif Super nice!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif I'm going to faint soon!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif

You are so damn lucky, being the 1st person in US to get the Eco tube. Not even the distributor has it yet, make me wonder where you get it from. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

bald1

Enlightened
Albert,

You must have spotted the "You *KNOW* who you are" line! hehehehehehehehehehehee

Thanks buddy! Trust you got my e-mail sent earlier this evening.

Best!

--Bob

For those who are reluctant to deal internationally:

Being a newbie let me share some observations. This is a fantastic community with great folks from all over the world. Sure there are minor inconveniences and risks inherent with postal and other delivery services, but buying, selling, and trading with stand up guys like Albert in Singapore only enhances things for everyone. I personally was ashamed when I saw several "I'll take it!" posts in the various B/S/T areas from international members go totally ignored. I guess I just don't "get it" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

albert

Enlightened
hehehe... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

A good 2nd look at your picture, do you need 1 extra twistie tailcap for that Micra? I'm pretty sure my friend had some of them lying around in his house. Let me know.

bald1

Enlightened
Albert,

I appreciate the offer but with just two Longbow LED capsules right now it wouldn't be of much use. Then again I am in the queue for one of Don's McCapsules. He's doing a DB700/TX0J for me. Mmmmm.... Does you friend have clickies too? Kinda wonder how they are in use. BTW you looking for anything else?

Back OT, any more news about what and when Longbow will have new products and accessories out?

Hope nobody gets their panties in a twist about my "public service" comment above about dealing with international CPF members /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

All the best!

--Bob

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
I have had an OD ECO tube for my Micra for a couple of months now. I really like it but have not used it very much to be honest. Are you guys saying that people cannot order these yet?

bald1

Enlightened
Lifer,

Yup, none of the stateside distributors has any. Only folks I know that have one got theirs from show samples or contacts with folks located near the factory in Singapore.

BTW I really like your handle. I'm an amateur gunsmith, handloader, and long range shooting enthusiast.

--Bob

albert

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
LifeNRA said:
I have had an OD ECO tube for my Micra for a couple of months now. I really like it but have not used it very much to be honest. Are you guys saying that people cannot order these yet?

[/ QUOTE ]

According to bald1, these are still not available in US. I also had it for a month or so before i pass it on to the next person. Funny, right? Eco tube purpose to exist for quite sometime now.

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
Thanks Bald1 I used to shoot muzzleloaders in competition long ago. I really like your handle too. I got my ECO tube from Bulldog probably 2 months ago. Must have been a sample but it works and looks fine.

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bald 1, try to make sure you keep the "amatuer" status of gunsmithing- I spent over 10 years as a full time gunsmith. I loved it, but the pay wasn't enough to keep going. Now I'm back in school working on my BS in Network Engineering.

Just to get back on topic, nice pics! What did you think of the difference using the reflector and UCL? Made a lot of improvement in mine, curing the slightly off center hotspot and smoothing out the beam.

albert

Enlightened
Bob /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif,

I'll check with my friend and let you know. So you prefer the clickie more than twistie? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

From what i know, the clickie is a little bit longer than the twistie and if you have big thumb, is a little hard to press it, unless you do the LB clickie mod. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

I know you have been waiting for Don's goodies. I was actually suggesting you get the tailcap ready before the McCapsules and PR head. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Let me know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

bald1

Enlightened
Mike,

As I wind down towards retiring from my second career (I'm already retired military), I intend to enjoy my hobbies and do some volunteer work. So, no fear. No way I'm gonna go into the gunsmith trade. I've always just worked on my stuff not wanting the yoke of liability in doing anyone else's weapons. Living here in an area that is a hotbed for the firearms industry (Dakota Arms, Jack First, Black Hills ammo, Cor-Bon ammo, Bison Barrel Works, H-S Precision, etc.) helps as there are so many alternatives for folks.

I absolutely love the S017XA/UCL combination! There may be a minor trade off in ultimate reach or throw vis-a-vis the stock Carclo 6 degree optic, but for what the reflector/lens combo provides I think it's a "no contest" outcome. From my knothole if you want throw, use something like a modified Tigerlight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif!

Albert,

I'll e-mail you as our side discussion should best be done offline.

--Bob

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed on all counts! I'm interested in seeing what they come up with next at Longbow- I hope they consider using a reflector in the upcoming 5 watt lights. Of course I'm looking forward to getting my hands on a McCapsule when they're available!

bald1

Enlightened
Mike,

I have one of Don's PR designs as indicated in my signature although he didn't build it. It is a fantastic light. So, like you, I'm very much looking forward to his new offerings. Specifically a 2-stage tailcap for my McLux, and his McCapsule for the Longbow. I may not have been around here long, but I have sure come to very much appreciate his design engineering!

--Bob

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
The PR head is another item on my list of things I want but don't have. I picked up a SF E2D for a future home for one in black. I don't care about the crenellated bezel, but I like the tail on it for candle mode if needed. One of these days... I know what you're saying about engineering and craftsmanship- It's awfully nice to pick something up and know it doesn't get any better!

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have the ECO tube, however I have the ECO 8310S flashlight, I use the ECO all the time as my general purpose flashlight, it works well with rechargables it would have to be my favourite AA. Have also ordered a micra Micra 2310S
The micra will be my EDC when it arrives.