Photon Freedom in Yellow and map reading?

Commander

Enlightened
I need yours help once more CPF!

Dose the yellow Freedom (at the lowest level) blurs the map reading like red?/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I normally use white (which is rather blue) because of this but the whit Freedom has only 12 hrs vs. yellows 120 hrs.

Furthermore yellow isn't as hard on the night vision IMO.

Thanks in advance!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
Thomas L.
Denmark

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Commander said:
Dose the yellow Freedom (at the lowest level) blurs the map reading like red?/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
Furthermore yellow isn't as hard on the night vision IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yellow LEDs are true mono-chromatic lights and there is virtually no color rendition to speak of.

Just like under normal tungsten household lighting (yellow'ish) one has difficulties seeing yellow on white print - this will be the main problem with map reading with a yellow LED - any yellow on white printing will "disappear". The rest of the colors look nice and contrasty with good definition - at least to my eyes.

So it really depends on which is more important -
being able to see all the colors correctly on a map - or preserving any dark adaption that one may acquire (note in most urban environments - this very unlikely to be true scotopic night vision - but for some, yellow doesn't seem to dazzle as much as white or any other wavelength color).

The following thread might help a little - where there are photos of map details under a photon yellow LED (5th post down - as well as other colors - including "yellow" made up with red and green LEDs) -

LED Colors and Vision (pics)

YellowPhotonEnhS.jpg

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maps typically contain a lot of color-coded information and you really need white light to read them easily and get the most out of them. Yellow would work, but will have drawbacks.

I recommend using a white Photon and putting a single 2032 battery in it. This will reduce the maximum brightness, lessening the tax on your night vision and it will also extend the battery life considerably (even more than just using the dimmer function).

paulr

Flashaholic
There's no free space. White Photons usually run on two 2016 cells (2016 = 20mm diameter, 1.6mm thick). Replacing the two 2016's with one 2032 (20mm dia, 3.2 mm thick) uses the exact same space.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Commander said:
[ QUOTE ]
Lurker said:
I recommend using a white Photon and putting a single 2032 battery in it.

[/ QUOTE ]What to do with the extra free space?

[/ QUOTE ]

A single 2032 is a direct replacement for 2x 2016 found in white LED coin-cell lights - it's a perfect fit.

But if you don't already have a 2032 - you can easily use just one of the 2016's and a homemade dummy battery - by using some plastic and alumium foil - see this thread -

joys of a DIM flashlight

there's a photo on how to make a dummy 2016 battery in this thread:

are Coin-cell LEDs Waterproof?

Edit - Link corrected

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
rfdancer said:
Vincent - both links go to the same place.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I've corrected the link in the post above -
thanks very much for pointing it out.

Commander

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
UnknownVT said:
A single 2032 is a direct replacement for 2x 2016 found in white LED coin-cell lights

[/ QUOTE ]

YES! It's a perfect fit!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

What will be the new runtime?

Regards
Thomas

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't measured the runtime and I haven't seen anyone else post that they had measured it, but I would guess that it will approach the runtime of the yellow Photon. Probably not as long as the Yellow, but a whole lot longer than on 2016 batteries. And the LED will last longer, too.