Honest or bait and switch?

matt_j

Enlightened
As few of you remember I inquired about a notebook computer few days ago. After some research I decided to go with Fujitsu instead of Sony. I placed an order with an online merchant and few hours later I received a notice from one of the staff members asking me if I'm aware about new product (faster and better and more expensive) coming out in about a month or so. I tried to ask around but nobody seemed to know exact specs or release dates or prices, not even a salesman who recommended the "upgrade". I decided to cancel my order. Now salesman might have been an honest guy who was looking out for a customer or he was just trying to upgrade me to a higher priced machine. Now I'm back to square one but I got a friend of mine who gave me an old ThinkPad that needs a battery and some ram that I will use during next year or so…

Matt

maverick

Enlightened
Seems like a bit of a dodgy company. I still want to sell my NEC so if you're interested, send me a PM!

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are many internet companies selling electronics that use that type of sales tactic. Most of the ones I have heard of are located in New York City and carry digital cameras as well as other electronics. They put a great price out on a popular product, but the sale is never complete until they talk to you on the phone and give you some high pressure sales tactics to get more money out of you. Often with overpriced accessories that you "really need" with the original item. Often they will refuse to sell just the item you ordered if you decline the sales pitch.