Maglite to introduce LED's in near future

flashlite

Enlightened
Maglite to introduce LED\'s in near future

Here's an excerpt from an e-mail I just received from a Maglite representative. Thought it was interesting.

".....please be advised that numerous new products are presently under development at Mag Instrument including LED flashlights. LED technology is a rapidly changing technology and, in Mag Instrument's opinion, the LED flashlight products which are presently being sold are lacking in the type of performance and quality needed by a consumer. Mag Instrument expects to introduce LED flashlights within the very near future. When they are introduced, we believe they will be the best LED flashlights on the market and worthy to carry the Maglite® name."

When asked why it's taking them so long, they said that they ".....invest heavily in automation so that it can compete with the pitifully low labor wages in foreign countries. Consequently, the development and introduction of new products takes longer at Mag Instrument than it does for companies selling foreign made flashlights."

C

Cosmic Superchunk

Re: Maglite to introduce LED\'s in near future

"In Mag Instrument's opinion, the LED flashlight products which are presently being sold are lacking in the type of performance and quality needed by a consumer."

Are they referring to the average non-flashaholic looking for affordable small LED flashlights under $25.00? I think Dorcy has that covered. As a flashaholic, I'm pretty impressed with the quality and performance of my Surefire, Arc, Streamlight and Inova LED lights. Can Mag top them all? They'd have to whip out some pretty impressive stuff to convince me, but then that would price them out of the range of the average consumer. Let's hope they don't start acting like they invented the LED flashlight and start suing everyone else. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Mister T

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
flashlite said:"[..] in Mag Instrument's opinion, the LED flashlight products which are presently being sold are lacking in the type of performance and quality needed by a consumer.[..]"

[/ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif I am anxious to find out what groundbreaking idea Mag has up their sleeves. Where is the preorder list? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think the problem that mag is having in there introduction is in the production process. I don't know this for sure but there is a fine art involved in getting a LED light to meet mags specifications. The first challenge is to make what starts out to be a perfectly white led and change it into a dingy **** yellow color. Then it would be totally unacceptable to have a nice hot spot with an even side spill so now you need to add the uneven wave patterns into the beam. This is actually a benefit because you have to keep moving the light around just to figure out what you're looking at. (Keeps you from falling a sleep from behind the flashlight.) Then of course you have to paten the concept of using batteries in a led flashlight so you can then sue everyone who produces led lights with batteries out of business so you can then make the claim that yours is the best. I'm sure everyone just can't wait to see what innovations (both legal and technical) mag can come up with.

turbodog

Flashaholic

I bet the people that are employed by mag and supply parts to mag and supply raw materials to mag are glad they are in business.

Before I found this place I liked mag. After being here a while, I disliked them. The more expensive lights I buy, the more I like mag.

jtice

Flashaholic

This is good, that they finally woke up, and are gonna do some LED lights,.
But you can bet, that the m@g mods we do, will STOMP whatever they produce.

They will do the same they do for their incan lights,,,,, make a cheapo light, that the general public will think is great.
And yes, it will sell great, just like their incan lights.

But us REAL light ppl, will know better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

When they talk about the cheap led lights they are seeing, they are talking about the crap $5 lights you see in Wal-Mart, and yea, theirs will parobably be better than those.

Its all about levels of quality and performance.
We just happen to be at the top. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Hi guys,

I have been pretty vocal in the past regarding my disdain for Mag's use of their legal department as a means to cripple domestic competition while actually giving an edge to manufacture outside US; all while standing behind the American flag and claiming pride for their high ground position. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

However, I do believe that mag is in a position to utilize economies of scale and more significant, automation and technology, to do just what they have stated. The big question is *what* will they do and will their efforts be at the lead or behind in component, design and function? When you consider that an American made Mag can sell retail for under $10, on sale in a store, that is quite an accomplishment! Mag can in fact bring good quality LED lighting, at a reasonable price, to the masses. Now...... Will they? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

EDIT: Man you guys are fast! Hot topic, I guess. I agree with Jtice on the likely target price point for Mag. On the other hand, one could argue that back when Mag actually *was* an inovator and leader, there really were no components or technologies that warranted a higher priced, more sophisticated product. The times have changed and it will be interesting to see if mag chooses to elevate the quality and features of "end cap" products. If their only concern is for bottom line, I won't expect to see anything really state of the art. If they want to reclaim a position of leadership, they are in a unique position of bringing the masses to significantly improved lighting tools.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast

If MAG thinks current LED products are lacking, what must they think of current MAG products? Extremely lacking?

C

Cosmic Superchunk

We don't even know if Mag is going to release Luxeon lights or if theirs will just be a bunch of 5mm Nichias clustered together. Will their LED models be limited to small sized lights like their Solitaire and Mini-Mags or will they release a complete line including larger sized lights? In any case, they will no doubt have to be priced higher than their incandescent lights. Just how much higher is the question. Since their target is the average consumer (non-flashaholics), I assume they would be priced to be sold at Walmarts/Kmarts/Targets and other discount store chains and remain competative with the likes of Garrity, Brinkmann and Dorcy.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm sure there are tons of people waiting for those LED Maglights and dying to see how them can be modded.

I've said in the past that this is the "do or die" year for Maglight with respect to LED lights, but I may have been wrong. I now think that most ppl are blisfully ignorant and will continue to know Mag as the best for a few more years.

I think that most of us here will be pleasantly surprised with whatever they come out with, but it probibly wont be what we expected.

GregR

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast

For the price I've always been impressed with Maglite build quality. That is one of the reasons many people use them for LED mods. I've owned many Solitaires and curently own three Dorcy single AAA LED lights. The Solitaires are definitely built better than the Dorcys (I carried Solitaires on my keychain for years before I discovered ARC), but are pathetic with their incan bulbs. I still own more than a dozen Mags, but the only ones I still use are modded in one way or another, most with LED's. I look forward to seeing what they have to offer, if they can bring out an LED Solitaire with the output of the Dorcy AAA, I'll probably buy several, but they won't replace my ARC AAA's.

-Keith

turbodog

Flashaholic

Mind you, this is all speculation. What if mag's led was a repeat of what they did back in the day?

Step back in time to before mag. Current incans were probably thought of as pretty good by most. Then along comes this light and it's like WOW!

What we now think of as a cheap price ($20 mag) used to be higher. I can remember paying about $26 for a 2d back in the early 80s. Taking ONLY 2% inflation into account that's like $38 today. You're telling me that ANY (arc/elektrolumens/etc) mfg can't make an awesome led light and sell it for that price. This is considering that they would instantly be stocked worldwide in an already setup retail distribution channel?

If your answer is no... ask Peter or Wayne what they would say to this.

Zigzago

Enlightened

If Mag goes with a Luxeon design and starts cranking out hundreds of thousands of units, what effect will this have on the price and availability of emitters?

In the short term I could see shortages occurring if Mag soaks up all the available product.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would be surprised if Mag came out of the gate with Luxeons. The only competitive pressure that Mag has right now is using 5mm LED. That is what is selling along side of them in Walmart and Target. The Brinkmann and Dorcy stuff.

They are probably going to do the Solitare with a 5mm and MAYBE one larger light such as one of the minimags or a new configuration with 3 x AAA batteries and 1 or 3 5mm LEDs.

A long-shot would be the AA Minimag with a 1 watt like the new Streamlight. That would be cool, but they don't have any real direct competition in that area yet, so we will see. That will probably come after a while.

I am confident they are interested in doing the Solitare because the Dorcy 1 AAA is going to spank the old Solitare and they have been clearing the field of other similar products through legal action. Also, look at the success of the Infinity, Sonic, etc. Mag can see an established market there.

C

Cosmic Superchunk

I agree with Lurker. I have a strong feeling that these new Mag LEDs will be released to compete with the likes of Dorcy, Brinkmann and Garrity LEDs. That Mag will go Luxeon remains to be seen. It's interesting that they believe their lights will be the best LED flashlights on the market. In order to live up to that claim, they would have to be seriously impressive regulated Luxeon lights.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

"Best Flashlight" is a Patented trademark identity of Mag instrument.

No other flashlight (in America) can legally call itself the "Best Flashlight" unless they risk copyright infringment.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
flashlite said:
"...in Mag Instrument's opinion, the LED flashlight products which are presently being sold are lacking in the type of performance and quality needed by a consumer."

[/ QUOTE ]

You see, the currently available LED flashlights don't have enough rings in their beams. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't think Mag wants to be the best flashlight in the market the way flashaholics percieve the market. They want to be the best flashlight that you can see hanging on the rack at Walmart, Target and Home Depot. There is a big difference. As far as Mag is concerned, those 3 stores ARE the entire market and they are basically right in terms of mass merchandising.

Stefan

Enlightened

I have a crazy idea. I would find it ironic if companies like Inretech patent their Mag light replacement bulbs, and in the long run sue Mag on their own design. The technology is available, the only problem Mag could see is the supply of parts. I'm figuring for what output they are going for they are going to require 3 watt or 5 watt Luxeons for the brightness they are hoping for.