Why do I need that many LEDs by my bedside?

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lastnight, I was looking at my bedside and noticed something rather interesting [to which my wife gave me the "oh brother" look]. I have 8 different LED flashlights beside my bed.

1. W2W SNII Clone
2. TWAK 2D Maglight with UCL
3. SV1J 2D Maglight with UCL-LDF
4. Blaster III modded with a LuxIII and reflector.
5. A Palight modded with an 8mm LED.
6. A Bowling Pin modded with three 8mm LEDs.
7. A 3AAA light with a UV LED.
8. A Starlite [that has a 2 cell PR-Base side emitting LED].

I DID have another one in there [one of those silver colored goldengadgets.com lights], but took it back into the computer room.

What's at YOUR bedside? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

jtice

Flashaholic
Usually an Arc LS Rev1,,,, and Always an Arc AA.

But, 5 feet away, is a shelf with over 50 lights on it, so lol

DaveT

Enlightened
PALight, Minimag with Madmax+/R2H and an X2 glowring on it, Space Needle II with the 6AA baton extender...and on a nearby shelf there's a Mag 2C with the 3x123/KPR112 and a 12-LED lantern.
My wife has that same "oh brother" look on her face...and a PALight on her nightstand.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lurker, . . . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

Wow, jtice. Over 50 lights. If you're married, how does your spouse react to seeing that shelf? I I had that many, my wife's eyes would roll so many times we'd have to visit the optometrist for help. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

capnal

Enlightened
Just one. Pelican black knight M10 4C. Bright enough to handle any task that might arise in the middle of the night. I have double windows on my house, the originals and insulated storm windows added to the outside brick window frames. There is about 1.5 inches of free space between them. Pelican is bright enough to punch through both panes (with all that back reflection) and still spot targets in the back yard. If I don't need that much light, I have this other tool...it is called a LAMP. You know? 40 watt soft white bulb? Matching one on the wife's bedside table?

jtice

Flashaholic
Orion,

Heh, no wife here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif .... maybe thats why? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif hehe

[EDIT} OHHH! heres one for ya,,,

How many of you have needed a light,,, went to you shelf of lights,,,, and stood there for 10 minutes, trying to deside which to use?
I have so many lights now, I find I cant make up my mind what light to take with me. LOL

I will get ready for a Hike, and its like I am picking out a House,,, hmmm this one,, no,, maybe this one,, nah, .. LOL

flashlight_widow

Enlightened
We actually had this discussion at my house not long ago. We decided that our bedroom didn't need to look like a booth at the gun show or a surplus store, so my husband chose a good small spotlight. It's a good light that can handle anything that might arise in the middle of the night. On my side of the bed (in a nightstand drawer) I keep the Brinkmann Rebel 2AA LED, with the red filter attached. It is a good choice for getting up in the night without having my half-awake eyes blinded.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bedside has a CMG Ultra velcroed to the charger for my SL Ultrastinger. In the table is a SL TL-3 Xenon, a SL 2L Twin-Task, and a SL 4AA7LED.

I have it covered.

The other thirty or so are sprinkled elsewhere.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Orion, I had the KL1 mod-Vital gear, Arc4+, LSH-P, XM-2 lined up near the bed. I added the VIP and my wife started rolling her eyes. So I put them all away.

But always on the dresser is a Stinger HP XT, and by my wife is a 6C Mag (it's dreaming about a led); by me is a trinket giveaway lite that has a red, blue and green led in it, the thing blinks in different colors and has a plastic wand with bubbles in it to look pretty (note: not useful to see by).

jtice, sometimes I make myself late in the morning as I stand in front of a tray of lites, deciding which one to EDC! LOL!

flashlight widow, welcome to CPF and why dontcha stay awhile!

daloosh

oops, did I say my wife *started* to roll her eyes? I meant she started to roll her eyes so much that she looked like a one-armed bandit in Vegas!

MDM

Newly Enlightened
With six lights at my bedside, I was starting to feel a little odd, but after reading this, I realize I don't have a problem at all!

paulr

Flashaholic
No bright lights next to my bed, just a few dim LED lights, e.g. Photon II in yellow, or Countycomm light in white with 1x2032. This is plenty for checking the time or finding the can. 2x2016 is too bright and bothers my eyes when I'm used to the dark.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one at each end of the spectrum:

1) A red Photon 3 set to the dimmest level for midnight navigation and

2) a Mag 3-D for thunking anything that shouldn't be there.

Photonian

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Orion said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Mrs Photonian, not a flashlight--the only photons emitted are from the intense heat under the sheets...

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Next to my bed I have only one light, an Arc LSL with twistie tail and an X2 glowring attached. It's all that's needed for any nighttime trips. And it's great for squeezing the last drops of juice out of my old 123s, because the light doesn't have to be too bright.

On the other side of the bedroom I have an L4, an A2, and E2+ for any possible emergency activities.

Paul

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
OH, I FORGOT ANOTHER ONE THAT'S BY MY BED. . . . . So I guess that makes 9 by my bed.

9. Variable output custom light. 1 watt luxeon, no optics, just the flood effect.

Maybe I need to put some up.

Oh, by the way, sometimes my wife makes fun of me because, when I go to take trash outside at night, I carry my "outside Flashlight". Then when I come back in and get ready for bed [and turn out the house lights], I carry an "inside flashlight". Yes, her eyes are still rolling.

Of course, she did appreciate my lights a couple of nights ago when the power went off during a storm. I gave her the Palight on low setting. Eyes that are adjusted to dark can hurt with even a relatively 'not so bright' flashlight.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
Orion said:

[/ QUOTE ]
Let's see here...

1: Milky Candle
2: SureFire KL2
3: SBP (Super Baby Pin)
4: Positron Laser (5W cyan LS mod)
5: Inova X5T UV
6: SureFire KL1
7: Likki Lights AK-38
8: Six watt UV LED mod
9: 385nm UV LED flashlight
10: TSI 3-way Torch
11: Starlite 213R
12: SureFire KL4
13: Lambda Illuminator HD flashlight
14: Aitec AT200L flashlight
15: SureFire L5
16: Hyper Lux V with clicky tailcap
17: Trek 4
18: POS 3-LED flashlight I bought on Ebay last year
19: SureFire KL3
20: AB NUV Glow Lite
21: Streamlight TL-2 LED
22: Mini-Mag with InReTECH red Luxeon drop-in
23: Tektite Trek 6000 EX60
24: Pink Mini-Mag with a Flashlight-Tuner tailcap
25: Coleman Compact 3-LED Light
26: Nine Glow Rings
27: Two Glow Disks
28: Large (3") glow tube
29: Three green laser pointers
30: One red laser pointer
31: Unknown SureFire bezel on a G2Z body
32: Golden Gadgets 1W Luxeon rechargeable torch
33: Elektrolumens Elektro Blaster
34: eternaLight EliteMax
35: eternaLight Derringer
36: Sauce LightSaucer
37: UV Starlight
38: 6-LED/Laser Pointer flashlight
39: Arc AAA RGB
40: GLBL (Gentle LED Birth Light)
41: ArcFinity
42: CMG Bonfire
43: CMG Bonfire Blaze
44: UView MicroLED Lite rechargeable
45: Sauce LightSprite
46: Teknolite with Trasers
47: Sci-Park light with Nichia high-powered SMD white LED
48: Glo Toob
49: Several strings of Forever Brights
50: Two Arc AAA UV flashlights
51: Neon "fish lite"

That's just the ones I know about...these are in the bed headboard and on the small shelf at bedside, two or three feet from the floor. There could be several hidden behind a set of Panasonic RX-5090 and JVC RC-M71JW ghetto blasters in the bed headboard.

And there are about 30 more flashlights in two dresser drawers about four feet away from the bed. Those flashlights would include a Tektite Excursion LS4, a TigerLight, an InReTECH Trilight 4, a Fire~Bug, two McLuxes, and a bunch of others.

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lights I can reach without getting out of bed are my Arc LSH, CMG Ultra, Inova X1, Moonball, and my 1,000,000 candlepower Spotlight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleepy.gif
If I sit up in bed, then I can reach my Arc AA, Inova X5, Surefire Z2 and my Scorpion. Some of those aren't LED's, but they are laying around. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Blades

Latest posts