Opalec or Inretech?

ws

Newly Enlightened
As I may have mentioned before, I have a Maglite 2AA lying on my table for a few years now, collecting dust. A drop in mod sounds good. I was thinking of either Opalec or Inretech. Which is better? Any one with experience of both, or either? Cost?

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depend
if you are much more inclined toward runtimes and constant output over the runtime, then the Opalec is for you. But if you prefer a more brighter light, one that dimming over time, then the inretech is good. Inretech does not work properly (eg, too dim) with rechargeable while opalec does support rechargeable. i am sure you know that opalec gives you indication if the battery is too weak (red light) while you have to notice the weakened battery from the dimming of the light in the case of the inretech.
Again, it is all up to you. At similar price point, it is just a matter of usage, would you prefer constant dimmer output and has long runtime or rather a quite-bright-on-the-start-and-dimming-over-time one.
Btw, why don't you go with the MM with lux 1W on the shoppe for $30 + shipping? it is only about $5 more.

ws

Newly Enlightened
Re: Opalec or Inretech (or any others)?

Hmm. It seems I have more options than I originally thought. Any one able to give me a run down on the various options and their merits, apart from what has already been said about Opalec and Inretech? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Thank you.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast

My personal opinion here. I like the Madmax and Badboy in the Min*mag and never liked the output of the Intretechs emitter color or the the brightness of Opalec. I haven't tried a TerraLux because I have been happy with the runtime of about 2 hours of bright light and the color of the emitter light that comes out of the MM and BB. My favorite has been the MM Lite and the BB 400, both with Lux3T emitters. I like the color of the beam.

I like "sleeper" lights. No one notices them until I turn them on.

Many people are horrified to see others put fancy and expensive electronics in a cheap light. I'm not one of them.

How much runtime do you want? How much light do you want? How much money do you want to spend?

paulr

Flashaholic

The Inretech really works best on lithium AA's. For ordinary AA's, the regulated Inretech will give you steady output for a very long time.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
The Inretech really works best on lithium AA's. For ordinary AA's, the regulated Inretech will give you steady output for a very long time.

[/ QUOTE ]
--------------------
Paul...- don't you mean:

The Inretech really works best on lithium AA's. For ordinary AA's, the regulated Opalec will give you steady output for a very long time.

???

daloosh

Flashaholic*,

I think Sig's got the right idea.

ws, you said your Mag was collecting dust. Depending on how old it is, the Newbeam may not be recommended. They have a diagram on what the base of the Mag should look like to accept their dropin.

Now, you can uses the dropin on the older model, I have, but it's certainly less stable and I don't recommend it. I forget what the Inretech looks like and I'm not sure if the same applies.

daloosh

paulr

Flashaholic

Sig, yes, oops, sorry for the typo. The Inretech is a direct drive Luxeon LED, no regulation at all. It needs the higher voltage of lithium AA's to get reasonable output.

ws

Newly Enlightened

Ah, yes. I remember unscrewing the bezel to have a look. My Minimag is the new type.