Dorcy 4 LED - 2AA light

Al_Havemann

Enlightened
I recently bought a 4 LED, 2AA Dorcy at Target. This is a nice little light. Good momentary tailswitch, a bright, even flood beam with about the same output as my Inove X5 or Nightrider 5C. Quite white overall for a 5mm led light with a touch of blue in the center of the beam.

I have no idea whether it is regulated or just resistored but there's no change in brightness if I switch from Alkalines to Lithiums to an set of old batteries with little left in them.

Overall, a nice, cheap, daily work light with very good construction. I'm quite pleased with it and it's become my glove box light thanks to having AA batteries.

$20.00 at Target.

Recommended

Al

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I see a slightly brighter 'artifact' in the beam of my 4LED 2AA and 3LED 1AA lights. But overall they are quite nice considering what we pay for them!

Also I have swapped the heads between the two lights and can see no significant changes from doing so.

kd9uu

Newly Enlightened
Al,

a bit cheaper than $20 at Target here in the MidWest, more like $14.95. Do some searches at CPF and you will find out allll about the 1AA and 2AA Dorcy circuit and mods. I add a larger surface-mounted capacitor, jump the 1ohm resistor in the circuit, and use a 3V AA in my 1AA Dorcy mods. I think the step-up circuit in the 1AA and 2AA are identical, with the 1AA you WILL notice a change in brightness jumping from a 1.5V to a 3V lithium AA. I have 3W Luxeons in both style lights, a very fast and simple mod. Some folks mod the head, others thermal-glue a slug to the top of the battery-tube. Yah, as-is it's a darned nice light.