Blaster III with reflector

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently added a reflector to my Blaster III. Now, it isn't anything exciting, but I have accomplished the typical reflector type beam. This Blaster III has the resistance taken out, and a Lux III [SYOLW]. By the way, the reflector is rather shallow, so I had to add spacers from the reflector to the lens.

Sorry about the out of focus quality.
BlasterIIIReflector1.jpg

BlasterIIIReflector2.jpg

Beam Shot

BlasterIIIBeamShot.sized.jpg

While taking these pictures, I decided to take a few of the Goldengadgets.com flashlight I have. This is the one that uses one CR123 battery. It's riding in my pocket today. :

GoldenGadgets.sized.jpg

Beam shot

GoldenGadgetsBeamShot.sized.jpg

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
What reflector did you add to Blaster III. Did you test lux. Does it throw any further than the 30mm? etc.

Bill

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not real sure where the flashlight came from, but I believe it was just from a cheap-o flashlight. I don't have a light meter to test lux. I can say that it isn't as bright as some of my other flashlights. As far as a comparison with the 30mm optic, I think the 30mm optic may have a brighter hotspot, but I prefer the side spill effect given by the reflector. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Orion,

I may be mistaken, but do I see rings in those beams? If so, did you trim the skirt of the reflector, assuming that you used the SO17XA? If you didn't trim it, you might want to try that. I was occassionally getting rings too, until I started trimming all of them.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chop, it wasn't the SO17XA reflector. Just a cheap one from some other flashlight that I don't even remember where I had gotten it. If you're seeing rings, it may be from the spacers I had to use between the reflector and the bezel. Harddrive platter spacers are what they are. Perhaps light is reflecting off of them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

By the way. I did a flashaholic 'boo boo' in regards to the beam shot picture. I realized, after taking the pictures that the output wasn't all that great. Went home lastnight and checked the batteries. One of the batteries was just under 1.5 volts, one was just about 1.5 volts, and the third was not even 1 volt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gifI put new cells in and now it's much brighter. I may have to redo the beamshot pic. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif