Help: ARC or Peak LED Solutions ?

DaveH

Enlightened
I'm pondering cancelling my ARC AAA order and trying Peak LED Soutions instead. My problems are:

1) I find the Peak site impossible to use, so I don't even know what's available or the price. Can I get a plaintext listing? Maybe I should email them.

2) I haven't really seen that many reviews. Are thier products as good as ARC?

3) I could use more light in the AAA form, runtime I care less about.

What should I do?

K-T

*Moderator*
What Photonian said. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

fluorescent

Enlightened
I wouldn't go the email route with Peak. I've tried several times to email them. I used instant messanger to contact them and they said they would get back to me... didn't happen. I guess the best way to communicate with them is to call them.
I can't make a call on the quality issue. Looks like they have more offerings using better components ( brass, etc ). I've seen several mentions of battery rattle issues with Peak. I too am interested in more light out of the AA/AAA/123A form factor.
If you are going with Arc, get the AAA premium. If you were/are going with the Arc standard, it would be worth the try to go with Peak and their options...
just my two cents..

DallasA

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
DaveH said:
My problems are:

1) I find the Peak site impossible to use, so I don't even know what's available or the price. Can I get a plaintext listing? Maybe I should email them.

3) I could use more light in the AAA form, runtime I care less about.

What should I do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good Morning DaveH,

1. Could you please give us more information on problems you are having with the site. If you could or anyone could give me some more information on this I will be more then happy to look into this/these issues.

2. For additional light out put this can be done through our Custom Design Center you can find some comparison information here.

Please free to contact us direct with any questions or problems

Thank you,

MJ

DallasA

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
fluorescent said:
I wouldn't go the email route with Peak. I've tried several times to email them. I used instant messanger to contact them and they said they would get back to me... didn't happen. I guess the best way to communicate with them is to call them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good Morning Fluorescent,

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gifCould this email be in relation to dealer information request? This email has been forward to Misty Cole and I will inform her at once to touch base with you on this email. The information you are looking for is being put together this week. I apologize if this was not answered or replied to. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

If anyone has a problem on contacting us please PM me and I will have someone address it right away /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif.

Thank you,

MJ

DaveH

Enlightened
DallasA, got your note, I will be responding in detail later.

The problem I have is that it takes forever for a page to load, and if I use
mozilla browser, I get a blank page when I click on detail for any particular "collection".

stockwiz

Enlightened
I ordered an N cell version of their light with one LED in brass to complement my TnC n cell luxeon when it arrives, so I don't own anything from them yet, but hopefully by Saturday I can post a quick review and comparison to Arc AAA and Arc with N adaptor. Will be nice to have a brass light just for the novelty of it. One thing to note is that priority 2 day shipping is free, and from the reviews I've read so far of actual lights, not prototypes, people seem to think they are good lights. I'm not ready to give up on the company yet. They've gotten off to a shaky start, but seem to be heading in the right direction.

The form factors for the lights are great. It's nice being able to have so many choices in battery type, and if they can manage to make the different battery holders compatable with the different light types, I can see how they could economically make it work. If they can work a bit on the LED tint which tends to vary from bluer then an arc AAA from what I've heard to white depending on who you ask and depending on the light, and work on the battery rattle with foam inserts, I can see myself ordering more.. I've heard they don't overdrive the LEDs, which is another plus. Arcs have been known to lose brightness over a period of hundreds of hours of use from overdriving.

They still need to work on their website. Get some pictures up, rename the lights so people can more easily identify which battery types are being used, make the site brighter. The layout IMO should be overhauled, granted they have time to work on that.

With that said, the Arc AAA is proven, time tested, and durable.. if you need a light now, you can't go wrong with arc. Most people like myself hardly notice the decrease in brightness until happen to get a new light, because the loss is pretty insignificant for what the light is used for in most situations. In my case, I'd rather have it dimmer, so I'm hoping the single LED version I ordered is indeed not overdriven.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently received a 1xAAA 3 LED light from Peak in brass. It is an excellent light! The quality is excellent, and it is brighter than my AAA-LE. It is however, a bit longer and heavier. I highly recommend Peak for their wonderful lights....but not their website design. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

MaxKnight

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
stockwiz said:
...if you need a light now, you can't go wrong with arc...

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be good if they were shipping NOW /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

They still say they're on backorder for 2 weeks (and that notice has been there for several more weeks?). My order is still "on hold" so there must still be ongoing supply problems.

But peak are definitely shipping now with great service, fast delivery and a good product.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I cannot comment on the PEAK products as I do not have any of their products.

I am looking forward to seeing what offerings they have in the future, however, and how their products hold up. Their "design your own light" concept seems very interesting.

I can say that I have been very happy with my ARC products.

I own
1 ARC LS (old version) factory second
6 ARC AAA Turquoise
1 2002 CPF ARC AAA le (later sold)
1 2003 CPF ARC AAA le
1 3.1 ARC AAA (gave as a retirement gift to a Pastor)
1 ARC AA
(I am waiting for 3 ARC RGB lights in the mail, as we speak!)

1 of these, an ARC AAA Turquoise, resids (facing forward, like a headlight, not down) on my dog's collar, and it gets wet regularly, like several times a week, and I have had no problems at all with the light.

I am VERY VERY happy with the performance of the ARC AAA Turquoise on my Dog's collar. It works as well as I dreamed or invisioned it would. At night, I turn it on whenever she runs free, so that I can see her, so that others can see her, so that she can be seen by cars, and I think she actually likes being able to light up whereever she goes!

If you have read about the problems that ARC has had with their lights, jusr for the record, I have had only one that gave me any problems, my 2003 CPF ARC AAA, it sometimes does not turn on, but completely unscrewing the head, taking the battery out, and putting the battery back in, and rescrewing the head, fixes the problem.

I am going to send it in for replacement at sometime in the future.

Hope this helps.

Al

Enlightened
Have a Peak brass 1AAA 3LED and a 1AA 5LED. Have to agree with Quickbeam's review,

"It just looks like it belongs on a mantelpiece with a brass naval compass and a sextant. Very classy."

BUT because of the almost 1mm recessing of the LEDs, the beam is very narrow (not enough sidespill for my taste). They are bright enough, but without sidespill I find myself stumbling around because of losing nightvision. For walking around at night I find CMG Ultra, ARC 1AAA, or 1AA more preferable ... ordered a 1LED head for the Peak 1AAA.

DaveH

Enlightened
The Peak 3 LED AAA lights came today.

They are both brighter and longer than the AAA ARC. For me the heads are
not interchangeable, maybe I have older ARC's.

I absolutely despise the baby knurling. Whatever happened to real knurling? I guess it
doesn't matter since ARC just does baby knurling now too. The faceted head is good, I like it,
there are some small chips in the anodize, no biggie. Overall they don't seem to
be quite as nice as the ARC but I'll give them a try.

I won't be cancelling my ARC AAA backorder though.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I really like the tube of the PEAK AAA light. It's great that you can unscrew the bottom off for candlemode. Sure, it adds length, but the candlemode feature makes up for it in my opinion.

stockwiz

Enlightened
Received my Peak N cell, it's the same length as an Arc AAA and wider, too long in my opinion. The lights are also not regulated quite as well as the Arcs it would seem. I'd go with the arc if you are using it for a keychain, unless you don't mind the extra length. The peak 3 LED AAA light will last you forever given the LEDs are not overdriven.