Canon S100 digicam R.I.P.

paulr

Flashaholic
It was my third serious digicam and the first one I really liked. When it was first announced on the review sites like dpreview.com, I read every article eagerly and I knew I wanted one. I figured it would be months before they actually became available and I was going to order one over the internet as soon as they showed up.

To my surprise I happened to be in a local camera store during lunch break just a few weeks later and spotted one on the shelf. "You've got an S100 already?!" I asked. "Yes, would you like to see it?" they responded. "Nah", I replied. There was no need for them to pull it out and show it to me. My credit card was already on the counter. $699.95 plus tax plus a spare battery (I already had some memory cards from previous cameras that I kept using) and I went back to the office with the box under my arm.

It was a 2MP camera that slowly became obsolete but I liked it enough that I never felt a serious need to buy a better one, even as it was replaced by the basically similar S110, S200, S300, S400, and now SD110 and S500. Until yesterday, that is. I was at the beach throwing sticks into the ocean so that my friend's neighbor's dog could chase them, and somehow the camera fell out of my pocket (I usually don't carry it that way but there was an odd combination of events that led to it being there). I didn't even notice but my friend spotted it and said "what's that". It was in its belt case, and just a little bit of salt water had splashed it, but nonetheless the camera was dead as a doornail.

I have another, bigger camera that I'll use for a while, since I don't feel like spending the cash on another camera right now (an S100 without accessories today is probably worth around $150 on ebay, so it's not like I took a bath for $700). Sooner or later I'll have to get another small camera. I'm not especially looking for recommendations right now since new models will keep coming out. But I'm going to face a dilemma between getting another camera in the same series (my memory cards and batteries should still work fine), or something larger that uses AA batteries (as much as I like the S100, the proprietary batteries are a PITA).

I haven't yet tried retrieving the pictures off the memory card so I don't know if that's trashed too. It was just the pics I shot at the beach that day, nothing really memorable that I couldn't more or less go back and shoot again. The memory card is a 192MB Sandisk card that cost over $300 about 3 years ago. It's worth about $25 today, so no big tragedy if it's busted too.

Anyway, farewell to a faithful piece of hardware, that really did stand the test of time.

K-T

*Moderator*
I am sorry to hear about your broken camera - it always stinks to replace things that could have worked if one would have payed a bit more attention. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

jtice

Flashaholic
Paul,

So sorry to here that man. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif
Funny though,,, I JUST got my S100 of BobVA yesturday !!!
Great little camera indeed. I bought it from him, mainly for two reasons, the size, which I can EDC with me,, and it came with..... are you listening?.... a water tight dive case !!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Have you tried taking it apart,, and laying it out for a few days, it might be ok once its dried out, I have had luck with some electronics this way.

Your memory card should be fine. I even bet you can get the pics off it.
If you dont already have one, get a USB card reader, they can be had for as little as $15 now.
IF, you cant get the pics off it, you should be able to at least format the card with the card reader, and reuse it.

I agree with what you say though,,, it tempting to get a nice new camera, thats $500+,,, but then, would you really feel good about carrying it around like that? Thats what a $150 cam off ebay is good for. Its not a big deal if you break or loose it.
Yes, there are a few S100 and S110s on ebay right now, for around 150 to 180.

I have a Canon A10, its alot larger, and only 1 MP, but its been a great camera. Its been through hell too. Nice thing about it, it takes AA batteries. Thats about the only thing I dont like about the S100. But I found batts on the net, from $8 to $18. The stock batts are only 680mAh,, i found some that were 1000mAh.

Let me know if you have any questions about cameras, or the accessories. I have a few resoarces and things for them.
Have you seen www.steves-digicams.com ? I love that site.

-John

Saaby

Flashaholic
Were I you, I'd gently take it apart, let it dry for a few days (Perhaps even rinsing some of the less delicate items, like cirtuit boards, with fresh water) and see if it comes back to life!

If you had the Digital Elph before I'd say stick with it. Maybe your battery will work with the newer models? I originally wanted to get a tiny digicam and ended up with the small, but not tiny A80. It's an excellent cam with excellent battery life from AAs. My brother got the S400, same thing as the A80 only in Elph mode. He's taken lots more pics because the cam is small enough he can take it anywhere.

As for as the proprietary battery for the Elph, it's better than having to shell out for CR123s eh?

Take that for what it's worth.

-Ryan

jtice

Flashaholic
How you liking the A80 Ryan?
I have had my eye on it for a long time, but other things just keep popping up.
I almost didnt get the S100 off BobVA, cuz I thought, well Im wanting to save for the A80,,,, but I knew I couldnt EDC the A80,,, sooo...

S400 is basically an A80 in ELPH form huh? hmmm is it much more $$$ might be worth me getting it later on instead.

K-T

*Moderator*
You could infact try what Ryan said: try to rinse it with destilled water and let it dry - I have read that this is how one should proceed with mobile phones and also SLR's (and other stuff of course) if they were dropped into water. If it is broken already you cannot break anything else, can you? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
The A80 is huge compared with the Elph series. It uses four AA's unlike some of the smaller A series (A20?) that use two AA's.

Thing about a dive case for the S100 is it makes it a lot bigger, so even if I'd had such a case I don't think I'd have used it.

Taking the S100 apart doesn't sound easy, and usually unless the salt water is washed away immediately, the corrosion kills electronics once and for all. I was visiting someone when this happened and couldn't really have gotten away to flush out the camera.

Getting a replacement S100 or S110 from ebay is definitely an option I'll consider. Everyone seems obsessed with megapixels but really 2 MP is about as good as you can do with a camera this size, in terms of what the lens can resolve, especially in the corners of the picture. More pixels just means you get a higher magnification view of the same blurry details. For higher resolution I want to get a Nikon D70 when I get the cash together someday, which has more serious lenses and a much bigger CCD sensor.

Yes, the S100 battery will work in the S200/300/400/500 but not in the SD110, from what I understand. I do like the Elph series better than any other cameras I've seen in its size class.

I was not a super high volume shooter. I feel I got my money's worth from the S100, but over 4 years I probably put around 1000 shots through it not counting just screwing around with the camera. If they made a CR123 version that got 100 shots on a 123, then I'd have used just ten 123's in that time, so I'd think that was less hassle than messing with the rechargeables (the OEM spare was around $40 and I think one of the two batteries I had doesn't hold a charge so well any more).

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
Sorry for your loss there Paul, that really sucks. I would try the advice already given, and try to carefully take the main parts apart and wipe them off lightly with a damp cloth. Let it sit for a day or two, then put it all back together and cross your fingers. I imagine you've already tried this, but does it work with the other battery that didn't go into the drink? It may be only your battery that bit the dust.

My dad has one of the original APS Elphs, and on a fishing trip several years ago we got poured and hailed on for about 30 minutes. He had the camera in the front pocket of his waterproof coat, but didn't realize the zipper was open under the rain flap. The pocket filled with water, and the camera was submerged for at least 45 minutes. It didn't work right away, but after we got home he dried it out for a couple of days and put it back together. Viola! It worked again! So the moral of the story for you Paul, is keep your fingers crossed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The A80 is a great all-around camera. I'd say the A80 is actually more comparable to the S500 in it's Elph form. The A70 compares better to the S400 in features. I have an S300 that I love, and I think had the A70 been out when I got my Elph, I would have gotten the A70 instead.

If you've ever looked at the A series and the Elphs together side-by-side, they're really not all *that* much different in size. I weas surprised when I compared my S300 to my in-laws' A70. The biggest difference on the A series is that the "handle" where the batteries go and the lens stick out from the body about 1/2", where the Elph is perfectly flat when turned off. The main bodies of both cameras are nearly identical in size though. However, there and many more manual features available on the A series that aren't available on the Elph. IMO, the Elphs were designed to be a good point-and-shoot with size kept in mind. For that, they're pretty hard to beat.

jtice

Flashaholic
Paul,

My A10 uses 4AA,,, i think all the A series ones use 4.
The A10, and A20 are alot bigger yes,,, but the A60, 70 and 80 are a good bit smaller and more streamlined than the A10. (my buddy has an A60) excellent cam BTW.

Yea, true, the dive housing does make them ALOT larger, so for what you describe of that day, I probably wouldnt have had it either, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

You might as well try to take it apart, clean it, and let it dry, like KT said, you cant break it lol
Besides,,, if that doesnt work,,, you can always send it to me, as spare parts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

1000 pics in 4 years !!!!?????
I have over 8,000 pics, and Ive been snapping away for only about 1.75 years. lol

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened
Since this was in SALT water it realy should be cleaned so there is not a salty resedue all over the insides of the camera. I would try to find de-ionized water for that. some stores may sell it. other wise K-T hit the nail on the head and use destilled water. If not you could allways give it to Me? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
The A80 and S400 are both 4 MP and more or less identical (2 A80s in the family and 1 S400). The S500 is 5 MP.

The S400 is excellent, takes nice pics. Doesn't seem blurry in the corners.

The SD110 takes SD cards. SD cards suck, CF is the format for digital pictures. Cheap, fast, rugged. If you got a S400 or S500 your 2 batteries would work and you'd have 1 more.

Oh wait, you weren't looking for suggestions on a replacement at this time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I love the A80, and it doesn't really kill me that I can't EDC it, because if there's something that I absolutely have to have a picture of *now* I have my camera phone. Does it take decent pics? No way! But it's better than nothing in a pinch.

If you're just a light photographer I'd go with an A80 but if you EDC the thing than S400/500 is the way to go.

Oh wait /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif you aern't /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif looking for suggestions /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif at this time.

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
Saaby said:
The A80 and S400 are both 4 MP and more or less identical (2 A80s in the family and 1 S400). The S500 is 5 MP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Ryan! I thought the A80 was 5MP for some reason. I know the A70 is 3.2, which I thought the s400 was as well. Must have gotten confused. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Paul, like Jtice said, the A70/A80 aren't all that much larger than the Elphs.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I have an Olympus Brio D100 that I use as a beater camera.
It uses a CRV3 battery for power, but it can also use two AA cells if you can't find a CRV3. The AA cells won't last long (a few pictures), but they'll do if nothing else is available.
I believe it has 1.3 megapixels. Not super, but it certainly gets the job done.
Some of the photographs on my website were taken with this camera, when my Nikon CP-775 was out for service.
If I remember, it cost well under $200.

bucken

Enlightened
jtice,

Where did you find 1000mah batteries for the S100? How much were they? I just had to replace one of my S100 batteries recently. Found one at a local Meijer store for 29.95, but it was still just the 680mah version.

The S100 is a great little camera and supplements my Nikon 950 nicely, since they both use Compact Flash cards. Both of my cameras are obviously outdated, but I haven't seen anything yet that seems worth the extra $$$ to upgrade.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The A80 is significantly bigger then the S400 but lots of nifty features such as swivel LCD and full manual so if I could only have one digicam, I would probably take the A80 over the S400 unless size was the number one priority. The A70, now A75 is smaller then the A80 but not in Elph class. The Elph slips in the pants pocket pretty easily. I love the Elph for what it is. It takes great pictures under good lighting and tends to be with me more then other digicams.

paulr

Flashaholic
How many batteries does the A70/A75 use? I'd rather have a 2 cell model than a 4 cell model. Thanks.

jtice

Flashaholic

bucken

Enlightened
jtice,

Thanks for the link... "Bought It Now" for $2.73 (+6.00 shipping). A Great Deal for a 1200mah, if they're any good.

jtice

Flashaholic
Bucken, glad I could help, I know they arent name brand, but for this price, they are worth a shot, I think Im gonna buy 4 of them LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

isnt Ebay hell on shipping all the time? $6 shipping on a $2.73 item /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have saved many drowned items by cleaning up with a toothbrush and distilled water.
it is important to get all the salt residue off the boards/componants though.success rate depends on how fast you took out batteries,unplugged,ect
using a kenwood th-f6 ht i got at hamvention after someone dropped it into a puddle saturday.sunday they tried it and it still didnt work so they put it on the table for $20.
i took it apart and put it on an ac vent.
in the morning it was fine.