Dorcy 1AAA "mouth-light"

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dorcy 1AAA \"mouth-light\"

I don't really like holding a flashlight in the mouth.

If I was prepared I'd rather use a headlight.

But when out with just one's EDC's like the outdoors experience I recently posted:
Dorcy 1AAA Outdoors

To get easy hands free holding the flashlight in the mouth is quick, easy and convenient.

Now I wondered why the Dorcy 1AAA just seemed to be better at this?

Was it the rubber insert that I could "bite" on - I used the lips wrapped over teeth hold?

No, I eventually figured out it was because the light was light (pun) and small -
but more importantly the light is small enough that one could "bite" near the balance point (center-of-gravity) so that the light doesn't weigh/press down as much as a bigger light which would not be balanced in the mouth......

for example to use a well known light that lots of people have - the 2AA MiniMag is positively unpleasent to hold in the mouth in comparison - and I see a lot of people doing that with the MiniMag.......

Like I said I still don't like using a mouth light - but the Dorcy 1AAA makes it less UNpleasent.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Dorcy 1AAA \"mouth-light\"

Something that worked for me and the Dorcy 1xAAA. Get a piece of clear plastic tubing 1/2" I.D. about 1 inch long. Stretch half of it over the tail cap (remove tail cap first) and insert body through other half into tail cap. This provides a strong friction grip on the body which keeps the tail cap from shifting in your pocket (you can keep it in the "push button works" setting and it stays there) and gives you a cushion for your teeth. I know it sounds silly but it works and all my Dorcy 1xAAA carrying friends have taken to it once they see how it improves the flashlight's security and utility. Especially after I gave them the 1" piece of tubing...

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast

I mouthed my Arc AAA once. Made the mistake of adjusting it's position, with my hand, and the knurling practically filed some enamel off my front teeth! I much prefer the nice rubber of the Dorcy.

alberto

Enlightened

I'm not sure why other manufacturers don't make use of rubber bands the way that Dorcy does. It improves useability of the lights so much that it should be a design standard -- even if it's just a couple of "O" rings to improve the grip.

Stefan

Enlightened

A weird aftermarket idea, but I couldn't find a decent "non-slip grip" for some of my flashlights in the past. The solution that seemed to work to me at the time was to cut up a blown inner tube from my bike and use that to cover the flashlight. The advantage this way is if you start with a narrower inner tube than the flashlight you are using that the rubber will stretch to cover the flashlight.

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast

I once had a girlfriend who could carry a Mag 3D that way. Sometimes I'm sorry we broke up... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast

You will find it easier on the teeth if you stick the light up your nose.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast

I believe the streamlight Stylus uses a AAAA. Please do not borrow mine for your experiments!

RayT

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Lurker said:
I believe the streamlight Stylus uses a AAAA. Please do not borrow mine for your experiments!

[/ QUOTE ]Yes, it does. I have purchased 10 of the lights and have given all but two of them away. They are excellent lights although batteries are sometimes hard to find.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
They are excellent lights although batteries are sometimes hard to find.

[/ QUOTE ] Have any of your give away friends stopped using them because they weren't into flashlights enough to search for the AAAA batts? Just curious.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast

No, they mostly stopped using them when they got a nose bleed.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Lurker said:
No, they mostly stopped using them when they got a nose bleed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard some passed out when trying to get more light by using
TWO /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,

[ QUOTE ]
RonM said:
[ QUOTE ]
They are excellent lights although batteries are sometimes hard to find.

[/ QUOTE ] Have any of your give away friends stopped using them because they weren't into flashlights enough to search for the AAAA batts? Just curious.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just FYI, a Duracell alkaline 9V has six cells that are almost identical to AAAA. Be careful of the polarity though, the crimp might be on the other end. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

vtunderground

Enlightened

I used to have a strip of electrical tape wrapped around my mini-maglite, in case I needed to hold it with my teeth. Worked great. The Dorcy AAA is a lot better for any situation where I'd need to hold a light in my mouth, though.

wualta

Newly Enlightened

To paraphrase Douglas Adams, is there a market for LEDs that can be fitted nasally? I guess we've answered that one!

Walt Brand