digital camera

rp42995

Newly Enlightened
need help I NEED HELP I need a digital camera but don't want to spend alot of money does any one have any suggestions on one I want better than basic but do not want a piece of junk..

kaseri

Enlightened
More info please. What is your price range? Some would say that $600 for a digital camera is on the "low end" of the scale. So we really need a ballpark figure to be able to answer your question.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
rp42995 said:
need help I NEED HELP I need a digital camera but don't want to spend alot of money does any one have any suggestions on one I want better than basic but do not want a piece of junk..

[/ QUOTE ]

Stay away from CMOS sensors... they're the cheaper and crappier kind. I've tried several of them and they all suffer from slow shutter speed (and thus blurry images). Look for a CCD sensor.

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
That might blow the budget. CMOS are kind of ok if you don't expect prize winning images.

If you can afford it, the Canon EOS 3000D (or Rebel I think it's called over there) might be a good choice. Only you can't lock the mirror up (just in case you care).

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
The range of digital cameras run the full spectrum. It depends on what your going to do with it. I bought a 1.08 megapixel camera with 64 meg in the camera and I am using an additional 64 meg compact flash card,very short video segments capable,flash for still indoor shots,the USB connector cable and a nice software pack for editing and sharing and its a webcam also. It was $19.98 Oh! it is a CMOS Just search for digital cameras within a price range on google.I got mine at WWW.microcenter,com

paulr

Flashaholic
Rich, large CMOS sensors like in the Canon SLR's are fine, but in low cost smaller cameras, it's correct, they make noisy images.

What do you want to use your camera for? Travel/scenics? Sports? Indoor shots of people? Close-ups of tiny little parts inside flashlights? These issues all affect what kind of choice you should make.

stockwiz

Enlightened
If you are just looking for something to take everyday snapshots with and aren't a professional photographer, the best bang for your buck are the Canon 2 megapixil A60's which are under $150 on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3335&item=3821275236&rd=1

You can go a step up and get a canon A70 or the A75 which is the newer replacement to the A70, which are also highly rated and essentially the same thing as an A60, but with 3 megapixils and a roughly $220-250 price tag on ebay. The A80 is also available at 4 megapixils and roughly $315 on ebay.

Me personally, I have a Fujifilm S3000 which can be had on ebay for roughtly $220. It has a 6x zoom and takes excellent pictures, but does rather poorly in low light situations. Great bang for the buck with the extra zoom.

These types of cameras are all a general purpose user really needs for great printer quality pictures. Only truely professional photographers need to spend more then $600 for a camera.

Here's a site with a comprehensive listing of cameras rated by users.. you should be able to find what you are looking for here.

http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/

ChopperCFI

Newly Enlightened
I just got a Canon A75 for $250. My criteria was manual settings for me plus full auto for my family, low light autofocus assist, 1.8" or larger LCD and use standard AA batteries. The last may be the most important since I been with many friends that missed pictures because there was no easy way to recharge the proprietary batteries. I have no complaints at all with this camera.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Yeah if you can bump up to just over $300 the A80 is an awesome all around camera. Never heard a bad thing about it. Fairly small, swivel screen, manual controls if you want them.

What's 'cheap' in your book?

I started out wanting a cheap cam oh, a year ago. Slowly bumped my budget up and saved and saved until I could afford a Canon G2, then got the A80 instead. Which I'm glad I did. I'm glad I wanted until I could get something worthy of making 3x5 prints as well. Digitals are great, but sometimes you just need a print!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
This is all good stuff guys!

I have an old Sony FD 650 (I think that's the model) 1.2 or 1.3 MP (not here) 10x optical + 10x digital zoom. The important thing is it uses floppies, as my 'puter don't do USB.

One of these days I will upgrade 'puter and camera.

My Sony can take brilliant shots... but the conditions have to be just so. It flubs a lot of stuff.

The thing I feel my next digital will need is a fast shutter. The FD takes over a second from push the button to capture the image. WAY WAY too slow for anything but stills!

I still use 35mm for a lot of stuff!

rp42995

Newly Enlightened
thanks for all the replies I would probably spend 250.00-$300 or so. Hey some of my flashlights are quite pricy also..
I have a old kodak digital want something better Im not a professional photographer just need it to take pictures of my kids and of course my new fire-fly2 when I get it. thanks again everybody /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is the price range of Canon A75, a camera I highly recommend although I'd try to convince you to spend a bit more and go for the A80.

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
Re: digital camera under $150?

I can't believe I left off some of the details.
Looking for decent point and shoot most of the time. Would like more capability. I like the idea of short video but not a need. Would prefer memory card, capable of direct USB (via mini USB is fine). AA batteries prefered so alks can act as back up.

Spudman

Enlightened

Geepondy,

I was just looking at the A95 and A85 and saw your post. I went ahead and sprung for the 95 at that price. Thanks for the heads up.

Gary /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

mccavazos

Enlightened

That cannon A95 is a great camera.

Sony's new DSC-W1 has gotten rave reviews for quality, and it has a HUGE LCD display. I haevnt used one personally, but it looks outstanding, it will be my next digicam.

Latest posts