Inova Lights?

IsLNdbOi

Newly Enlightened
Hi all. I'm a n00b here. Anyway, I'm looking at getting an Inova light. Not sure which model to go for though. I was looking at the X0, X1 and X5. I just want to get a replacement for my AA Maglight. Which do you guys recommend out of those three Inovas? Money is not an issue and I am set on the Inova brand. Thanks.

chumley

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF Island boy. I have the X5t and the XO. I like both lights, the XO has a bright, tight beam that is good for lighting up to 100 feet away. the X5 is better for close up lighting. I think that for me the X5 is more useful.

I don't want the X1, from what I've read, it would have a spot, but no spill light. It is a nice looking light however, not bad for the price.

nexro

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF...
If money is not an issue, my suggestion is to get all 3 lights and then you pick which do you like the most /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Anyway, chumley is right. It all depends whether you need to do some closeup work or you need a light with more throw /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My suggestion is to get both the X5T and XO /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I own an X5T and X1. To date, I can't find any uses for my X1 but planning to mod it soon. The X5T is much more useful as a flood light and also to "drain off" used CR123A batts.

I have both and love 'em. If I were forced to pick one over the other, I'd have to go with the X5. Bigger, more solid body and better all-purpose lighting. These Inova's are great lights. Good choice.

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
For an all-purpose light the X5 would be your best choice. You probably won't like the X1 because the beam is so narrow. I never found a use for mine and eventually sold it.

StuU

Enlightened
Inova X5 is extremely useful. A great floodlight which is eminently useful in a number of applications. Fantastic for practical tasks and a work light. Does very well at walking around outside at night. However, my X5T-HA is just slightly slippery to hold....it wants to slide out of my hand. Also, the switch is a bit finicky at times.

The X1 is not a bad little light for specialty work- like when you need a very bright, round spotlight to illuminate a narrow work area such as in the back of a computer or in a cramped area of an engine etc. Not much sidespill but still a useful little light. And very well made. Switch is like the X5 is also a little finicky.

flashlite

Enlightened
My advice would be to avoid Inova lights altogether. I haven't noticed the flickering with the switch yet but the lens on my X1 has a little "fisheye" and lots of dust on the inside of it (and you can't remove the lens to clean it). I would hold off on Inova until they get some QC problems worked out. In my experience, customer service wasn't the greatest either. There are lost of other manufacturers out there who hold themselves to a higher standard. I'd keep the AA Mag and buy a retrofit kit for it - like the Opalec NewBeam.

C

Cosmic Superchunk

The X5 is far more useful as a floodlight than the X1. I find the smaller X1 has limited uses for me.

If you're dead set on getting an Inova light, the XO would probably be the one to get if you want the brightest beam. Once you go Luxeon, it's hard to go back to those little 5mm LEDs.

groutboy_1

Enlightened
I would also recommend the the inova x5t for a practical worklight, or general use. almost as bright as the larger
dorcy 8 2-c, but in a smaller package. also, the Xo, very good output, & throw. then, theres the mysterious inova T-series tactical lights, in luxeon favors of 1 watt for the t1, 3 watts for the t3, and 4 watts ?, for the t4. (p.s.: I hate to drag this up again, but has anyone heard of a release date, or shpping date for the t3 ???)

Moe

Newly Enlightened
In my opinion you can't go wrong with the X5T. Of all the lights i own, the X5T is the one which gets used most often.
Its built like a tank and bright enough for most daily tasks. I think its my overall favorite light, although i have some that are much much brighter.

StuU

Enlightened
Last year people were complaining that their X5s had crashed after being dropped on a hard surface. Haven't heard any similiar complaints for a good while. Anyone have any recent experience with this problem?

IsLNdbOi

Newly Enlightened
Thanks all for the suggestions. I think I'm gonna go with an X5. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

IsLNdbOi

Newly Enlightened
Another question, how many LED's do each of the Inova lights have?

X5:
X1:
X0:

Aloft

Enlightened
I've got an XO and several X1's. It's true that the X1 has a very narrow beam with no sidespill. But that makes it quite useful for navigating otherwise familar areas (like your house) without lighting up the whole place and awakening your significant other. It's also built like a tank, as is the XO. Lot's of folks on CPF seemed disappointed that the X1 had no sidespill. . .I found it quite a unique and fun light, and now keep one bedside. I think Battery Station was selling off their stock for $15 each, so you might pick one up along with the X5 you said you were getting. I really like my XO as well. . .some rings in the beam, but very bright, very white, and great throw for an LED. BTW, both the X1 and XO have only one LED each.

mbt25

Newly Enlightened
I also have all three of the lights discussed here. I find the X1 to be usefull in my job. I work as a system admistrator and it is great for lighting small area's like back sides of servers switches or computer. Any area where it is not the only light source and a specific area needs more light it works great for what I need. I belive the X5 has been covered and I agree with the reviews. The X0 is a very good light. It is bright white. The rings are noticable inside but not outside when shining at any distance. The light is slightly bigger than I would like but very well made and reasonably priced.