LED Mod in July Popular Science

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out page 92 of the 7/04 issue of Popular Science. It's a short article on modding a flashlight to use LEDs. The article also has a link to the online instructions.

It should be noted that the article is in their "Ask a Geek" section. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

DBrier

Enlightened
I read it and there wasn't too much info there. Maybe because of the stuff that goes on here I am desensitized to to a simple LED mod.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
alberto said:
Pretty basic stuff. Maybe good for young flashaholics-to-be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Does it mean if I follow that....
I'll be
YOUNG? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing new in the article for us battle hardened flashaholics. Just glad to the topic promoted in a major magazine. PopSci is evangelizing for us.

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't understand why the resistances he used are so high? From what I have calculated, resistors such as 1.5 and 2 ohms should be used for 3 cells. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Negeltu

Enlightened
Let's say 3.5 Vf with If of 0.02A

3 cells... 1.5V a piece in series = 4.5V

That gives you (4.5 - 3.5) / 0.02 = 50 Ohms For EACH led /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hear the term "direct drive" a lot around here. If you add the resistor, does it still count as DD?

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting. To me direct drive would be anything that didn't have active circuitry (regulation, boost, etc.) But that's just me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

UK Owl

Enlightened
A simple constant current circuit for a 3 or 4 cell torch, or a boost curcuit for a 1 or 2 cell torch would have been worthy of this forum.

But the simple series resistor suggestion.....

.... Kinda lame !

Negeltu

Enlightened
What's so bad and lame about it? It gets the job done which is what MOST people care about. I have mostly used resistors in my mods...and I get many times more run time than I do with the stock incan bulbs...