Paul Johnson slaughtered

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
News is just now breaking. The terrorists followed through on their threats, and killed him. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

My condolences to his wife and family, and I hope they catch these brutal thugs.

JOshooter

Enlightened
Just saw some video(doctored no doubt) on CNN. It is an act I do not support for any reason, there is just no call for that. I just hope that we can get this conflict solved soon.

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess that it is too much to hope for that the Saudi goverment would behead all of the al Qeada prisioners tonight on national television...

14C

Enlightened
Even if they are ready to die for a cause or do so that will never change the fact that taking the lives of the helpless and the innocent makes them cowards.

Kram

Newly Enlightened
Clearly an act of evil, blind, ignorant, misguided hatred. His family has my prayers.

Mark

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
14C said:
Even if they are ready to die for a cause or do so that will never change the fact that taking the lives of the helpless and the innocent makes them cowards.

[/ QUOTE ]

To die for a cause when you are afraid of death is heroic. These deluded fanatics are cowards because they believe they will go directly to a perfect life in heaven with 72 virgins. Of course no one has told them how old those virgins really are.

Brightnorm

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
God bless Paul Johnson and his family.

Damn, this situation just gets more and more disheartening. I have been generally supportive of the US's policies there, but I think we need to completely reinvent our foreign policy and this time let's develop some real long-range vision.

The vision should be that our grandchildren will not live in a world where Americans are hated in the Middle East or anywhere else in the world. In fact, what ever happened to the America that everyone loved and wanted to become a part of? How can we get that image back? If there is any part of the world where we have the opportunity to be liked, it is in the Middle East since we pour billions of dollars in there to buy oil.

The way I see it is that the Arab states didn't have a primary hatred of the US, what they had was a primary hatred of Israel over their land dispute/war with the Palestinians. They percieve the US as Israel's big brother due to the support we give to Israel (financial, political and military). And of course now we are hated for our direct military actions in Afghanastan and Iraq.

The first step to reaching the vision is a complete withdrawl of any American presence or influence in the Middle East including in Israel. It will take a while to be forgotten, but it must start sometime. If any meddling needs to be done, it is the UN's responsibility, not ours. Let's get to the point that no one in the mideast even knows that there IS an America. Except of course for our billions of dollars flowing in to purchase oil. You can't hate something that doesn't exist.

After that, all we need to do is figure out what the people want and deliver it. That is just marketing and public relations. We Americans are not good at much, but we are world-class at marketing and public relations. American soldiers tromping around in foreign countries year after year is not good public relations.

We are trying to deliver Democracy to the region, but they apparently don't want it. Fine. Fall back to a focus group and figure out what they want rather than what we think they want. If they want us to be invisible, then we should be invisible. If they want Madonna CDs, send them.

I am not saying that we should make concessions to terrorists, but that we should be pursuing policies that prevent another generation of terrorists. The fact is that you cannot win a war on terrorism unless you avoid it. Let's stop using a mid-20th-century mentality on foreign policy and get into the information age.

Let's get a new vision.

Stickles01

Newly Enlightened
Lurker, I totally disagree, I don't think we should give them anything, other than the cold shoulder. Yeah it is EXTREMELY BRUTAL and UNNECESSARY what these hooded cowards did, but I don't think that any Americans, or anyone else in the coalition should be working there, unless you are military, and armed. We did what we had to do, if we gave up and released some of those al qeuda (however you spell it) prisoners, do you really think that the rest of the militants would just give up and say "Oh, ok, we'll be calm now, and send us some Madonna CDs cuz she's groovy.", hell no, they would cause more havok because there are more of them! Christ Almighty!

IMO, what is wrong with war today IS the information age, we hear entirely too often what happens on almost a minute by minute report. I've heard back in WWII that the US didn't hear reports of THOUSANDS of soldiers dying until weeks later AFTER the US had captured whatever beach and mountain and valley, so the loss seemed acceptable because they accomplished their goal.

I think that these terrorists deserve all they get. I just wish that I could be the leader of all this, things would change, beheadings wouldn't seem so bad compared to what would be done there.

Back when the Twin Towers were hit, I was attending college. There was a bigscreen TV in the eating area. There are usually a couple hundred people there either watching TV, eating, or studying. When the planes hit, three young, muslim men stood up and started cheering and waving happily, all the while others there were disgusted in disbelief in what they were actually doing. Needless to say, they got battered by an angry mob, (just what should've been done). I have no idea why these people hate us, don't really care enough about them or anything they stand for, now that all these things have come to pass, to research it.

If their own people care enough about their own honor and integrity, they would put a stop to this VERY quickly. But obviously they don't, and they've been harboring this type of behavior for waaaaay too long. IMO, let them all rot. But I have read parts of the Kuran, somewhere in Surah 5, around verse 15 it says that it is imbedded into their religion to hate Christians. I consider myself a Christian, and have read nowhere in the bible that says that we must hate muslims.

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
("The first step to reaching the vision is a complete withdrawl of any American presence or influence in the Middle East including in Israel. It will take a while to be forgotten, but it must start sometime. If any meddling needs to be done, it is the UN's responsibility, not ours. Let's get to the point that no one in the mideast even knows that there IS an America. Except of course for our billions of dollars flowing in to purchase oil. You can't hate something that doesn't exist.")

We must never get to the point that we have abandoned Israel, and there is no way to get to the point that any of them would forget we exist. Not realistic.

Jerry

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
What Joe said!!!!
AT the very least, behead each of the prisoners that Paul Johnson died for. They are held by the Saudis, it just might happen if the Saudis are the ally they claim to be.

Topper

Flashaholic*
Nuke before Ignore. Face it they would prefer to kill masses but willing to kill us one at a time if thats the best they can do. I have no respect for terrorist nor do I feel inclined to try to make them happy--on second thought if we nuke them they git all those virgins,if that is what they want maybe we should help them after all.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first thoughts always go towards the family and the sadness they must feel. Whatever the reason, there is now a son, brother, etc. who will not be coming home.

I have to really question how far civilization has "progressed". Just in my 41 years on the earth, I have serious doubts on whether humanity as a whole, has moved forward or backwards.

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
geepondy,

While mankind has progressed in technology, he has not improved morally. In fact he has not changed in his basic nature, which is evil. Man is only restrained by his moral outlook.

Here is what the Bible says.
2 Timothy 3:1 ¶This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
13 But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived.

Sounds like today, and all around us.
The radical Muslims follow a false religion and it does not restrain their natural, evil impulses. That is not unique to the Muslims, but it is true, and we see the fruits of it today.

Jerry

Raven

Enlightened
I forced myself to look at the pictures, though I won't watch the video under any circumstances. It's important to look at the pictures in order to understand just exactly what we're dealing with.

Plus, we've all seen the Iraq prison pictures, so this is necessary in order to put things in a proper perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.