SF C-3 Centurian vs. Luxeon V5 LED

Silver

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I'm new here and new to "lights." I'm looking for a carry light that can be used in a lighting emergency or as blinding personal defense. These 2 lights caught my eye. The Luxeon puts out more lumens but is slightly heavier and longer than the Centurian. And the Luxeon is LED. Any opinions or experience as to which one I should go with? Or maybe alternative choices? And what is the least amount of lumens that will temporarily affect a person's eyesight, even after it's off? Thanks.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Silver, Welcome to CPF!

Using a flashlight to temporarily 'blind' somebody is not a magic solution to trouble. It's one way to gain enough advantage to follow up with the action. Therefore it's destraction and disorientation technique that requires training and practice and a selection of other tools and techniques in order to prevail.

I'm not familior with the "Luxeon V5 LED" model. SureFire have an L5 but I don't suppose it really makes a huge amount of difference between the C3 and the L5 because they are both quite broad beams but what the L5 lacks in range it makes up in shockingly brilliant white light.

From a personal perspective I think white LED light to be more blinding then incandescent light.

Al

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to agree with Size15. I have zapped myself with 60 lumens of Led light and 120 of incandecent and the led had me blinking more.

Silver

Newly Enlightened
Wow, and the Luxeon puts out 120 lumens of LED light. Should be powerful.

Yes, Size15s, I agree with what you said on not relying only on a blinding light in trouble. I also carry a knife, and pepper spray and Gray Poupon (for discriminating tastes) and tampons, etc.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, you use the light to maybe give yourself time to draw your handgun (legally carried of course), and then use the handgun to fight your way to your rifle/shotgun.

God bless the 37+ states in this wonderful country, that allow legal firearms carry. They believe that it is a good thing NOT to disarm all the potential victims. It works too.

Crime rates in "shall issue" states are LOWER across the board, than states (countries) that disarm their citizens.

*Retired*
I had one time where someone used a flashlight to dazzle and challenge me. Since I did not know who or what it was, I *immediately* swept their legs out from under them, before they identified themselves. As I was about to pounce on them, I saw the flash of metal on the left breast pocket. I was on the hotspot trying to talk my way out of the situation, for quite some time...whew!

Side note: The officer was rather shocked and kinda stunned, until he realized what happened to him...

TXCaver

Newly Enlightened
If the officer was close enough for you to sweep him when he turned on his light, he SERIOUSLY screwed up! I hope he learned from that experience.

Like JohnK said...just use the light to buy a second or two to escape or bring a weapon to bear. (And use the light from an appropriate distance.)

As for the C3/Luxeon question, In my experience, incandescents are brighter in a "tactical" sense, but I haven't seen the newer Luxeon lights first hand yet. One of those things on my "to do" list.