Are the "snowbirds" right?

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Are the \"snowbirds\" right?

Last night I came home to a 10-12"" thick and 20' long limb hanging from one of my pine trees. It's large enough that if it fell on you there be serious injury involved. The lowest part was still about 4' off the ground. My son found it very entertaining to swing the limb whenever he could sneak out of the house. Needless to say I had to cut the limb off so here's the story. I tied a rope to it and pulled it, no good. I tied two ropes to it and my wife and I pulled, no good. I tied three ropes to it and pulled it with the truck until the ropes snapped, no good. I finally got out a pole saw and cut it off about 10' above the ground. At some point the rest of the limb will fall (the heavy part) but at least it's no longer an attractive nuisance. All those methods only took about 30 minutes but I was completely soaking wet with sweat when I finished even though it was 9PM.

Although it's tough to see, the point of my story is the snowbirds who leave the south during the summer are the smart ones. It's so sticky-hot already I just hate it.

This is the now the official 2004 "how bad is the heat in your neck of the woods and high humidity is not your friend so I feel a need to whine", thread. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

freeze12

Enlightened
Re: Are the \"snowbirds\" right?

I know what You mean by the heat as this snowbird (Buffalo,NY) will be heading down to South Fl. (Arcadia) soon...call Me crazy but I like the heat!Nothing but Rain over here.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

High in the 90's here today, humidity isn't really measurable any more, you have to wear goggles and a snorkle just to go outside. If your activity outside consists of more than the short walk to mailbox then you're better off driving with the AC blasting... Thank god I only have to walk to the mailbox once a day...

The thing that gets me most about this particular climate is that it doesn't even cool off during the night. If the high was 95, it might have dropped to 85 during the night. At least there is no sun shining on the roof, but still the AC chuggs along all night long. It does a good enough job, but boy oh boy do you pay for it.

I'm not from here, I was born in Chicago, so I just don't wish to handle it here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Unfortunately, we're not old enough nor financially well off enough to take the summers off and go north for a few months /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif But someday.... Ah, happy thoughts...

lightemup

Flashaholic*

If it makes you feel any better we're in the middle of winter here! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

We are gonna hit mid 90's today with mid 70's humidity.

My Dad's truck picked a GREAT time to crap out! He had 5 Kegs and all the other stuff needed for a party to kick off the Pasadena Livestock Show and Rodeo fiasco.

It gets no fuel from either tank. ARGH!
It will fire on Ether.

I'm about head to toe sweaty from hooking it up with a tow rope and getting it about 8 miles home!

While I'm the chief mechanic around here, I'm stumped on this! Truck's gonna go see Mitch on monday!

If I could get somewhere where 70's are the norm, I'd LOVE to winter there!

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast

It is in the very low 70s here. When the sun is unimpeded by clouds it hits the mid 80s but due to my location a wind is usually blowing,it is in the 60% humidity most of the time and it drops into the 60 to 65 degree range at night. So far no complaints from here; well maybe a bit too much rain but better that than the alternative! I moved south to get out of the snow belt but didn't move quite far enough, after moving in we ( my new location) got the most snow for a long time and one of the latest snows; 13th of april. The funny part is, In December while I was coming down from Ohio to finalize the house purchase it was in the 60s at night and the 70s during the day, I had visions of year round fishing here, maybe 10 months instead.

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast

Little Rock is only slightly less humid than Houston. It hasn't gotten too bad here YET, as the temperature has only hit 90 five times in the last seven days. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Arkansas is in a really bad spot, as moisture from the Gulf passes over us as it heads northward. This pattern holds all summer for the most part. Afternoon pop-up thunderstorms are commonplace, and it's not unusual to get them for as many as seven or eight consecutive afternoons. Those really help get that humidity up there.

AZMAN

Newly Enlightened

Here in Prescott, AZ I actually get excited when we get some clouds in the sky. Sounds wierd but I'm actually sick of the sun. Can't wait for monsoon season to kick in during July.
Can't remember the last time it rained...none so far in June, May's total was ZERO....must have rained sometime in April I think!!

Temp has been nice lately mid to upper 80's..... EXTREMELY LOW humidity. The desert air always cools down very rapidly here at night making the nights great.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Move to my home town area of northern Vermont. High 70s is normal, 80s happen quite a bit but rarely if at all during the summer does the temp break 90. Also rare is a night that you can't be cooled down by simply sticking a fan in the window. Of course live somewhere else the other nine months of the year. I was up there over Memorial day weekend where they experienced a frost.

Greta

Flashaholic

We've been hitting at least 110 every day for the past week or so. If we're lucky, the lows may slip down into the upper 70's. Usually, when I get up in the morning at about 6AM, it is already in the 80's on my back patio. Last night, when I was sitting out by the pool listening to the waterfall at about 11PM, it was still around 100... give or take 1 or 2 degrees. The humidity is starting to get up there now too... we finally hit double digits last week... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I love this time of year.... 'cuz the snowbirds go HOME!!!

14C

Enlightened

I've lived in Western Massachusetts, Connecticut, Florida, Las Vegas and Central Nevada, Missisippi, spent a year in Iceland and now live in Reno.

Florida was just OK in the winter. Way too humid, weather and power problems, bugs and snakes....and SNOWBIRDS...almost died twice beacuse an elderly driver did not see or pay attention to a sign.

Vegas is OK because the humidity is low but Reno has seasons and the Sierra is .....well I can't describe it accurately...you have to feel it. The Winters are mild compared to other places but you usually have a white Christmas...something I missed in Vegas.

I think if you grew up with seasons you end up missing them if you move to a place that does not have the changes.

Greta

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
I think if you grew up with seasons you end up missing them if you move to a place that does not have the changes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ain't that the truth? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif ... I grew up in upstate NY... not too far from geep... I miss it ALOT!!... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

14C

Enlightened

Upstate NY...I remember the farmland...I remember Poughkeepsie..ahhh..well...lotta years ago

dark star

Enlightened

Yesterday foggy all day here northwest of LA, got up to the 70s /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
We call it June Gloom but I wish it would last all summer. Next week or two it may be 110 but it will be dry desert heat which is not so bad.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu

It seems Alexander Graham Bell minded the heat in the US too.

http://www.capebretonisland.com/AGBell.html

In the summer, he would travel to Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia:

"Baddeck, Cape Breton Island, is where Alexander Graham Bell, mostly famed as the inventor of the telephone chose to build his Canadian residence. Why?.. Here are his own words:
"I have travelled the globe. I have seen the Canadian and American Rockies, the Andes and the Alps and the highlands of Scotland, but for simple beauty, Cape Breton outrivals them all."

BellMus.jpg

He kept busy, though, designing and building a hydrofoil craft. Not bad, considering it was about 1919 or so.

214-a.jpg

http://collections.ic.gc.ca/heirloom_series/volume4/210-215.htm

Here's a shot of his 'cottage':

212.jpg

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
14C:

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't miss it a bit. The only way I ever liked snow was through glass.