Dorcy AA - 1W or 3W

alberto

Enlightened
There's been a number of threads regarding modding the Dorcy 1AA, but if someone could just answer a few questions:

Which is better, 1W or 3W (runtime vs. brightness?
Which LED? LD or HD? Where to obtain?
Will the SO17XA reflector fit? Any mods necessary?
What replacement lens? UCL? O-ring?
Any other tips, things to watch for?

Thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

red_robby

Enlightened
I've done about a dozen so let me answer what I can...
it makes more sense to use a good 1W, the led never gets more then 350mA (spec'd current draw for 1W)
if you are going to use the SO17XA reflector then you want to use a HD (the reflector is designed for HD)
I'm not sure about a replacement lens, the head is one unit so the bezel is a part of it, glass could be tricky...

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I use a pastic disk from Tap plastics as a lens. Other lenses should fit. I use an o-ring to hold it in place. The o-ring fits in the groove near the end of the bezel. I don't have the measurements for the disk nor the o-ring that I used.

Daniel

Zman

Enlightened
I think its been posted elsewhere, but I'll add that the SO17XA fits under the existing lens of the AA. Its a bit snug, but I deepened the slots in the existing lens to allow a bit more flex.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
On the question of 1w VS 3 watt....

The dorcy electronics will only push about a watt into a LED with a K Vf. I get 30 lumens from mine with a TWOK Lux III when running a 3 volt battery. I should be able to do the same or better with a Q or R binned 1 watt that has a Vf of H or J.

I have a QY1H just waiting for me to install it in a Dorcy.