Best bets for 3D Mag drop-in conversion?

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
I'm most interested in a Luxeon conversion, but I could be swayed to a multiple-5mm Nichia setup. The color I'm most interested in is white, but I'm open to others.

I have a Tektite Trek-14 in green, and I'd like it to outperform that.

Remember, I specified a <font color="green"> drop-in </font> conversion. I lack the patience, tools, and the physical eye-hand coordination to deal with soldering, grinding, or drilling anything.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm curious why there are not more drop ins of the style Inretech makes. That is to say, ones that replace the bulb AND reflector.

I'd love to see some regulated options like this.

-john

Surelight

Newly Enlightened
Diamond 3W LED lamps are the best value. Innexpensive, simple (non regulated) and very bright IMHO make this flashlight something else. long runtime (more than 2 DAYS to 10% of power) and fully focusable (excellent spot, but the flood beam is not that good).

nt1g

Newly Enlightened
I have both the everled and epieon4.5. While the epieon
is a lamberian beam, it doesn't have the focus that the side
emitting everled does. Also the everled goes into my 6V
Brinkman Maxstar square battery light. From 3-9volts
I'm considering going to 3C Mag since that offers the SAME
light output(the reflector assy is the same as the 3D), with a little less weight/size.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the price of an everled and the brightness of a slightly underdriven lux3 there's this at www.goldengadgets.com.
I just got mine for my 3d mag for 47 bucks shipped.
I really like it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
It's not an inretech killer by any means, but it's slightly brighter than the stock bulb and won't ever burn out.
With nimh batteries, it's using 650-850 milliamps.
The stock bulb used 850 milliamps with the same Supreme Power 9000mah batteries.
There is also a 20 led version for only 23 bucks.

You could also go with an underdriven trilight3 for that 3d mag and get good, super reliable results for a 130 bucks.
Either way is a great choice.
You can also put 4 c cells in that 3d mag with a paperboard tube battery acid catcher in it and run that trilight3 with great results that will impress your friends. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif
www.batterystation.com and www.amondotech.com are good places to go for rechargeable batteries and smart chargers for them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Good luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I've read from other's posts here on CPF, apparently the Everled works at optimum with a 3 cell setup, so you might want to take that into consideration as well?

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you want your flashlight more for spot or flood beam? Multiple 5mm will give you a nice flood beam but as you know your ability to spot is lost with that kind of conversion. If you want basically the same beam characteristics as you Maglite beam patterns, then I want to chime in and say the EverLED sounds perfect for what you're asking for. It's a 1watt and about equal in output to the stock incandescent bulb. The conversion is just as easy as putting in a new bulb.
If you want more light then that and can wait a little longer, one of their customer service reps told me they will have a 3watt everled soon!

grayman4hire

Newly Enlightened
Get a Hotlip and a 3W Luxeon. Pretty easy to install and really nice. I modify two of my maglite 3D and really happy with it.

grayman

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
All- sorry for the 1-month+ delay; work's been killing me.

Leukos - What kind of timeframe are we talking here? (I'm more interested in a Luxeon than a multi-5mm.)

grayman - What's a Hotlip, and where would I get one?

Stanley - While I do have 3, 4, 5 (I think), and 6-cell Mags, for the purposes of this post, I'm interested in the 3DMag.

3rdshift - For personal reasons, I won't buy anything (more) from goldengadgets. Thanks for the pointers, though.

nt1g - I have a 3D I'm looking to upgrade, so the 3C comment is something I'll have to remember for another day. Where would I get an epieon... Everled?

Photonion - Where would I find out more about these emitters?

bajaiman & Craig - thanks for the links, I'll check them out (hopefully soon, but I'm supposed to be working right now (~5.5 hours after most folks hit the door running), so I won't be holding my breath /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif).

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kris, the Everled will run in your 3D mag at optimum performance. Having said that, it will also run in all your other mags that use anything from 1 to 6 cells (max 9v).

L

LED Supply

Thanks for the plug 3rd_shift /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Latest posts