Best bulb for 4AA?

bucken

Enlightened
I know that there's probably several variables that could make a difference (type of reflector, focus, etc. but, generally speaking, what would be the brightest bulb that anyone might recommend for use with 4AA batteries? 15-20 minutes use at a time, not really concerned about running time.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
if pr base radio shack has some xenon and halogen 6v bulbs.
halogen may run hot so watch for melting plastic.

bucken

Enlightened
Sorry, I forgot to mention it. Just a standard PR type base.

I guess I never really thought about Radio Shack being a source for flashlight bulbs. I'll have to check that out the next time I run by one.

I have noticed that many bulbs have all kinds of voltage ratings (4.8V, 5.2V, etc.). How does one know (without actualy buying & trying) what can be used for a particular light? Does higher voltage (or amperage) necessarily mean more light?

Brock

Flashaholic
Yes Radio Shack has a good assortment of lamps. A Carley lamp would probably have the highest output for 4 cell (6v). I would suggest the HPR-50 = RS part #272-1189. It might be to much of a load for AA cells but if not it will be quite bright. Probably ok used in short bursts. Are we talking alkaline cells? Lithium AA would drive the lamp much better. If you are running alkaline the XPR113 RS part #272-1183 might be brighter since it want a little less voltage.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not knowing which flashlight you are working with, I have had the best luck (w/4AA alk.power) with the XPR113 (800mA) bulb.

The problem with the HPR50 was that it just melted the crap out of my plastic reflector!
frown.gif
-it was turned on only about 10 min.

On an identical new flashlight, I am using the XPR113 (which has a much better focus) and does not overheat the reflector.
-Good performance for a two buck bulb.
smile.gif

bucken

Enlightened
Thanks for the replies. The reason I asked is because I have several different lights using a 4AA source. Some are Dorcy (typical WalMart) lights and lanterns, but my favorite is the Energizor ArcWhite. Too bad they didn't make it a little sturdier. And yes, the battery of choice is alkaline.

Brock

Flashaholic
I would now agree with videocal on this one. The XPR113 (800mA) bulb should give you the best service and hopefully won't melt the reflector. I only use the HPR50 in open air or metal reflectored lights. It is also true that the HPR50 has a difernt location for the hotspot so it might make your light either more of a flood or more of a spot.

FYI on the Radio Shack halogen bulbs...

I bought one a while back for my Maglite and was not happy with it at all.

The quality control was very poor. The element inside the capsule was off center, so the beam was very non-centered also.

So, I would recommend physically going to Radio Shack vs. ordering online and keep your receipt.
smile.gif
Maybe even take your light along and install the bulb to check beam quality...

I only tried one, so I don't know if I could find a better one when I go back. Haven't had the time yet...

kb0rrg

Enlightened
I have been relatively happy with the Radio Shack xenon bulbs. I have one for a 3D mag. The beam quaility/brightness/whiteness is better than the stock mag bulb or the White Star bulb. The Carley bulbs I have for the 3D are whiter and brighter still, but the beam quality is terrible compared to the Radio Shack bulb.

bucken

Enlightened
I really appreciate everyone's feedback on this. Just to let everyone know, I stopped at Radio Shack after work today and got both the XPR113 (Xenon) and the HPR50 (Halogen).

After trying both, I have to agree that the XPR113 is by far the best choice for my ArcWhite. Brightness, whiteness, and even overall shape of the light is definately better than the factory bulb (which really wasn't too shabby to start with).

I'm getting a nice, uniform round beam that that spreads out nicely from the hot center.
The HPR50 may have been slightly whiter, but I really couldn't tell if it was brighter, or not. The beam was very rough and uneven (probably not good focus) with odd looking "cold" streaks through it. When I get time, I'll try it on some of my other 6V lights.

In all, I'm very pleased with the results. Thank you all!