E1e/L4 problem

Dave_in_PA

Newly Enlightened
I have read here often of combining the two, so after getting an L4 I tried it. The light output seems no better than combining my E1e and KL1. I love the L4, but would like a slightly smaller combination (while still bright) for some occasions.

Any advice?

Dave

W4DIZ

Enlightened
Hi Dave,
The ARC LS is a great choice.Get one with a twist pack and it is a very small light with good output.You can find them on the BST forum and sometime on Ebay.The Friefly by Doug speck is another good choice.
P.S If the standard ARC is not bright enough you can buy or have one modded with a nice Lux3.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
normally the KL4/E1 combo (called the TW4 after the vendor who first sold it) puts out a lot of light albeit in a flood mode without any hotspot. If you happen to have a high Vin LED that might cause problems, it might be dimmer than normal. Try using it with a fresh battery before discarding this fine option.

Other lights in the very small and bright categotry:
Fire~Fly
modded Arc LS (Jets22, Chop, CM, ...)
Lambda's Nano Mate
McL4
etc.

bernhard

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Dave_in_PA, another posibility would be to get a battery tube that houses the 1750 Li-Ion rechargeable cells if you are wiling to consider rechargeable. I suspect that you might get more power to the KL4 head from one of the Li-Ion 123 rechargeables as well but don't knowthat for a fact. Obviously if you go to Lux III, you can get a much higher lux output from a single 123 than you will from either the KL4/ E1e or the KL1.

Dave_in_PA

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the good ideas. After I posted this, I realized it maght have been one of those subjects that have been beaten to death. I also thought I should have tried the fresh battery idea before typing this. The L4 is at work so I'll try it tonight when I go in.

Thanks for the prompt responses! (and I'll save my money for the modded ideas, of course!)

Dave

Dave_in_PA

Newly Enlightened
...just a note to advise everyone that I did try the fresh battery and...poof! Nice, clean, bright light. I really didn't think the other battery had much time on it, but I guess I was wrong. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

Thanks for the advice, it saved me enough by not replacing the light, that I can buy a new one, right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Dave

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Dave, the KL4 is bright on the L4 body and on the E1e it is slightly dimmer. Nevertheless the brightness is still a little brighter than the KL1. I had clocked an E1e + KL4 combination with fresh battery at a full 1hr 15mins of run-time before it starts to flicker and go into moon mode. I guess I am quite very impressed with it.

akula88

Enlightened
Here are some examples of SF LED heads in single cell-configuration :
1xCR123.jpg

The last one houses 1xPila 168S LiIon rechargeable... technically still a single cell .

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I recall correctly, the KL1 runs at about 350mA on a single cell. That's still plenty enough juice for a 5W to give you lots of light.

If you want to get more out of that KL1, you could simply swap the emitter for a better bin and swap the optic for a reflector.