How to block a specific web addy?

rycen

Enlightened
Is there a way to do this?I need to block a addy from being used on my pc.

*Retired*
Yup.

Edit your hosts file. Found in C:\windows If not there, create a file called hosts , with no extension.

First part is IP on your end, second is the IP or addy of the one you want to block.

127.0.0.1 ad.doubleclick.net
127.0.0.1 ad.ca.doubleclick.net
127.0.0.1 ad.de.doubleclick.net
127.0.0.1 ad.es.doubleclick.net
127.0.0.1 ad.fr.doubleclick.net
127.0.0.1 ad.it.doubleclick.net
127.0.0.1 ad.jp.doubleclick.net
127.0.0.1 ad.kr.doubleclick.net
127.0.0.1 ad.nl.doubleclick.net
127.0.0.1 ad.no.doubleclick.net
127.0.0.1 ad.se.doubleclick.net
127.0.0.1 ad.uk.doubleclick.net

rycen

Enlightened
Thanks.I am not sure what to do though.I found C:\windows but dont understand what to do from that point.

AbnerCadaver

Banned
Depending on your OS (Win98, 2K, XP) it may be located in a different directory. For instance, I have XP Pro, and on my system, the hosts file is located in C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\ but be advised, this file has no extension, that is, instead of hosts.txt, it is simply called hosts. An easier alternative to editing you hosts file is to d/l a nifty piece of freeware called spywareblaster by JavaCool it is located at http://www.spywareblaster.org if you're interested. It has a "Edit Hosts File" button under Tools.

Cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif,

Abbie

rycen

Enlightened
I have Windows XP. I got the point of hosts and clicked on it but it wouldn't allow me to open it. Also, if I can get to this point,what is displayed on the screen when the blocked website is attempted to be viewed?

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
rycen:
"Also, if I can get to this point,what is displayed on the screen when the blocked website is attempted to be viewed?"

---------------
I think it just appears to do nothing.

I don't know much about XP but this is the way some 'ad blockers' work. The host file (as already mentioned) exists under slightly different names with different OSs.

Empath

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
rycen said:
I have Windows XP. I got the point of hosts and clicked on it but it wouldn't allow me to open it. Also, if I can get to this point,what is displayed on the screen when the blocked website is attempted to be viewed?

[/ QUOTE ]

The hosts file is a text file, but has no extension designating it as such. You have to open it with a text editor like Notepad. Right click, "open with", "notepad". Or open notepad, and use it to open hosts.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get Spybot Search and destroy from spywareinfo.com and load the hosts file after you run the cleaning utility, sometimes those ads are associated with some crapware that is installed in your computer without your consent.

Try that and also install Spywareblaster and internet SPYADS and get a firewall like zonealarm or Kerio, that should help A LOT with pesky ads and strange PC behavior.

HTH
Alex

Empath

Flashaholic
Depending on the sophistication of the person you wish to block it for, you can do it directly from within Internet Explorer, if that's the browser you're using. Open the properties, click on the security tab, highlight the restricted sites icon, click on the 'sites' button and add the URL you want restricted.

Latest posts