CMG/Gerber bonfire

Andy

Newly Enlightened
I need a tentlight for a trip this weekend. Does anyone have one of these lights? Do you like it? I probably need to order one today to have it by Friday, any leads? Thanks, Andy

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one and like it. Funny shape, and I find the rocker switch with it's rubber cover a bit awkward. If I were doing it, I'd make the low setting even lower for possible all night use. It should take rain and the like fairly well (not that it should be raining inside your tent...).

If you feel the need, and it fits your budget, I'd recommend it. If you have it, I suspect you'll use it and find it useful.

BTW, you might shop around a bit, I recall a big spread in prices.

Doug Owen

scott

Enlightened
I have a Bonfire. I bought it before there were so many other choices available. For what it is, it is huge. I'd buy an Infinity or Infinity Ultra and put a whitish film canister (Fuji) over the end to diffuse the light. It will be smaller, lighter and more practical for other things. I'll gladly sell you my Bonfire cheap if you really want one.

Scott

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Hey Scott, that's a good ideer. I was just going to hang the Ultra-G, but the film can makes for more even light, and tho there's a sacrifice is amount of light, don't matter out in the woods. We're going camping this weekend, too.

Andy, welcome to CPF and why dontcha stay awhile! If you still want one, and Scott doesn't sell you his, Campmor says they ship 99% of orders within a business day.

Also, there's the regular Bonfire, with three white LEDs and the Blaze Bonfire, which has 2 white and 1 red LED, costs a whopping eleven bucks more, tho. Anyways, I may be stopping by their store (Campmor, that is) for the first time this week, I can get ya one if you like. You're still stuck with some kinda overnite charge, tho.

welcome again, Andy,
daloosh

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
daloosh said:
Also, there's the regular Bonfire, with three white LEDs...

[/ QUOTE ]
Just to make things clear here, the regular Bonfire has yellow LEDs, not white ones. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
I destroyed the test sample by dropping it face-first three or three and a half feet; so please try not to drop your Bonfire.
My web page about the Bonfire is right here if anybody is interested.

paulr

Flashaholic
They are cute, but the Ultra makes plenty of light to see around a tent at night. Just tape a piece of white paper over the end if you want to diffuse it.

Andy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Everyone: I just ordered a Bonfire Blaze from Kevin at the Battery Station, he's overnight for me since he's in Iowa. I come here now and then, but I've got flashlight issues and I don't need any encouragement to buy anymore, so I don't come here all the time. Best regards, Andy

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I think the Bonfire Blaze is good, though a a bit oversized.
If you don't drop it face-first, it shouldn't give you any guff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I use mine every night, and have used it every night since early January 2003.

My page about it is right here if you're interested.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a lot less weight, size and expense, I'd just hang a Dorcy AAA from the top of the tent. And it's not just a tent light, but a handy flashlight, too.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
So I made it to Campmor tonite, traffic into Jersey was quite good, surprisingly. That Bonfire is much larger than I expected, for a 2AA light. Looks functional and useful, but a bit large for what it does.

They also sell the Gerber Ultra for $22.99 and the Sonic for $12.99. I'll stick with hanging a Countycomm Ultra-G in the tent.

However, I couldn't resist the older PT Eclipse at $5.97, got a red one with white LED!

daloosh

DaveT

Enlightened
This might make a pretty good tent lantern.
Folds to size of a pack of cigarettes. Takes 4 AA batteries. Two light levels rated at 100 hours/200 hours battery life. Has a folding plastic hook and hole for hanging on string/paracord. CHEAP - under $4 at Office Depot (some stores it's by their flashlight display, others it's behind the cash register with the batteries). However, I don't see it listed on their Web site - only the larger, more expensive 4-D fluorescent folding lantern.

Energizer Folding Lantern

JJHitt

Enlightened
I picked up a Bonfire at a second hand store for a couple of dollars. I didn't like the diffusor, it didn't spread the light evenly enough for my tastes. Ended up using a nailfile on the LEDs to get it 'just right'.

Now I use it every night. But I would not buy one for the asking price, I'd go with the Infinity and a film can.