8D Mag mod. for rookie

flashlite

Enlightened
Tried to do a search but didn't find anything. It appears as though the tail end (female) of a D cell Mag has the same threads as the top end (male). Does anyone know of a simple mod to combine a 6D Mag with a 2D Mag for a 12v power pack? I'm thinking of keeping both switches for a 9v "dimmer" option but I'm not sure of the best way to do that yet or if I will even be able to run a 12v bulb on 9v. Would I be able to run one of those zillion watt cigarette lighter deer spotter bulbs in it (assuming I can make one fit)? Will heat be a problem with the stock Mag reflector? I obviously don't know a whole lot about electronics so any info. would be greatly appreciated. I have no specific purpose for this light.....just looking for a campfire conversation piece. Thanks

theepdinker

Enlightened
On the mechanical side of your post.
The thread count per inch is the same for head & tail. Problem is different diameters.
If you want a 8 cell body, I could do that pretty easy.
For voltage regulation you'll need to talk with one of the forum electronic wizards.
Theepdinker

flashlite

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
theepdinker said:
The thread count per inch is the same for head & tail. Problem is different diameters.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooops. I just eyed it up. They looked to be the same diameter but I didn't measure. My first rookie mistake!

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Using 1/2D cell NiMh batteries you don't need an extended body. In fact they are not exactly 1/2D but 3/5D. If you take 10 cells you get 10x3/5D = 6D. This means you can put 10x 1/2D cell into a Mag6D or 10x1.2 = 12V. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif