SpaceShipOne (my pictures)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is what I did with my monday! (sorry for the poor quality and unedited pics)

Taxi roll out was at about 6:37am. You can see the dawn sun to the left. In fact the sun was a major contender in most of the pictures making it difficult to photograph the vehicles.

The dawn of a new era in space travel:

SS1small01.jpg

SS1 in boost phase. Boost starts at about 50,000 feet alititude and burns for about 75 seconds to 250,000 feet. The vehicle then coasted to it's max altitude of about 330,000 feet. Altitude was verified by nearby Edwards AFB tracking station. Several problems during boost phase including some, "loud bangs", buckling, trim problems, etc. In fact, this picture does not show it as well as one of my other pictures but the boost phase was not straight, the vehicle did an S on its way up. Mike had to fight it to keep the vehicle pointed in the right direction. The motor shut off prematurely. This cost them some alitude and they just barely made it. They were just 400ft over their 100km goal. Some fixes and this vehicle will be able to make even higher altitudes. The smaller contrail on the left is either the WhiteKnight mothership or (more likely) the tracking jet (I don't know it's designation but it looked like a black 2 place Alpha jet). I say this because the angle suggests the contrail was too high to be the WK and that position is also optimal for photographing the accent.

SS1small02.jpg

SS1 gliding back to the airport. Wing is in conventional configuration at this point. Small propeller chase plane folling to see if they could determine any sign of damage from those loud bangs during accent. Turns out there is some buckling around the nozzle (see pic below) but the vehicle is ok to land.

SS1glide.jpg

The triumphant Mike Melvill. Btw, the registration number "328KF" was selected because that is their target altitude.

SS1Melvill.jpg

Sitting on the tail gate of the truck is Paul Allen and Burt Rutan. Rutan is wearing the yellow shirt.

SS1Melvill2.jpg

The famous sign.

SS1small03.jpg

Larger image of sign photo.

Here's a quick edit of some of my video footage. It was really tough to contend with the sun, follow these small dots without a tripod and contend with a cranky autofocus on my Sony (I finally just stuck it in infinite focus). On glide return, I mistakenly followed the Starship (one of the tracking vechicles) instead of the SS1. On the landing roll I caught up with the right vehicle though.

SS1 Video (wmv, 15.1mb)

Peter

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Re: SpaceShipOne (my amatuer pictures)

Hey Peter. Is that the privately owned shuttle thing that was on the news last night? It sounded interesting what this guy was doing.

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast

You lucky dog!

I'm kind of cheering for the Canadian teams to win
the X-prize, but Rutan always seemed to me to be
the team least likely to blow themselves up.

Bravo Burt and team.

Greg

Turd_Ferguson

Enlightened

Cool Peter! Sounded like great fun. I really like the fifth picture. Looks like you got a shot of the buckling of the rocket motor shroud. There appears to be a small dent in it if you look close. Very cool!

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the video Peter.

I don't know if we can say for sure right now but this may
go down in history as the beginning of something very
big.

Greg

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow, that's great! Surely one for the history books.

Thank you for taking the time to share the photos, Peter.

K-T

*Moderator*

Thanks a lot for the pictures - must have been impressive to watch the shuttle take off into the orbit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

BillM

Newly Enlightened

Great shots Peter. As a kid, I grew up in the first space race. It's nice to see another one. Wish I could have been there.

Bill

Dcon67

Newly Enlightened

Very Cool!!

That ship is going to give me the funds to purchase an Arc 5 next year too...LOL I was lucky enough, to purchase SpaceDev stock last year at .37 cents a share on a whim. So I have been following their progress for quite a while now. Sure wish I had bought more of it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*

Very nice Peter, better information than one on TV. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Maybe Arcflashlight ArcXX the first Flashlight in the world to go to space with spaceShipone /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator

Peter....could you reduce the size of the pictures to 700-800 pixels wide? My monitor does not go as wide as your big pictures and I have to scroll the screen to see the pics or read the text. Thanks for the pictures....wish I'd bveen there!

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast

Since it appears there is some interest in this topic.. I will work on the post this evening to clean it up, make it display better on all monitors (thanks for the heads up Roy, don't delete my thread please /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) post links to some higher res images for wallpaper, etc.

Peter

Steve_Chism

Newly Enlightened

Man I wish I could've been there...I live about 20 minutes from the airport, but I had school. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif Oh well, I got video! thanks Peter! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just noticed in my pictures that there is a shroud around the rocket nozzle that wasn't there in earlier press photos.

Peter

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I can't wait until we make the first warp flight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
(04-05-63 is the date of the first warp flight from the Star Trek movie). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.