A clean car is a happy car.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Wowie! I think it's been over a year since I last detailed a car, but I jumped back into it feet first tonight and detailed my sisters Volvo.

Some random thoughts:
-Should have started ealier, ran out of sunlight so who knows if I got all the polish off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif (Yes I checked with a flashlight but still)
-Zymöl products (The polish) rock! All natural, smelled like I was putting sun tan lotion on the car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I think I'll eventually replace all my chemicals with theirs, but that means $38 wax for Volvo, $38 wax for Saab, and a third can of $38 wax for the American car. Heh, or not, but geez it's good stuff!
-I think that 1 sedan has as much leather as our entire minivan did!
-I picked up a California silicon water blade and feel at $8 it was a good investment. Easier and quicker than a chamos.

My favorite detailing tip is to use the Turtle Wax Zip Wax car wash with the wax already in it. It's' no substitute for a real paste wax, but the wax in the Zip was makes your car pretty much self drying. Helps a lot.

Eric_M

Enlightened
I've seen those Califirnia Silicone Water Blades and they looked interesting. They work pretty good?

Eric

Topper

Flashaholic*
I wash mine at least once every three years weather it needs it or not. I learned long ago that if its clean the wife seems to need it quite often.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Eric Maier said:
I've seen those Califirnia Silicone Water Blades and they looked interesting. They work pretty good?

[/ QUOTE ]
They do, actually. But you only need them for an un-waxed car. If you keep your car waxed, the best way to dry it is... drum roll... with the hose!

Those of you who wax often will understand, the rest of you will just have to assume I'm not blowing smoke up your butt. You can quite easily chase the water off your car if the wax job is good enough to bead the water. I kid you not. I completely dry my cars with nothing other than water touching it. (well, I then have to blow out the creases, but the surface is all dried this way).

Monolith

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Saaby said:
-Zymöl products (The polish) rock!

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you mind giving Zaino Brothers a try and letting me know which is better? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm too lazy to do all that waxing to find out....

Zaino Brothers Review

unnerv

Enlightened
I have used Mothers, Zymol, and Zaino, and Zaino to me is the best. You really only need to do it twice a year if you have an outdoor car, but if you place multiple coats on it is spectacular. Here are a few zaino shots of my brothers G35, girlfriends 14 year old CRX and my SVT Contour.

g35zaino1.jpg

g35zaino2.jpg

g35zaino3.jpg

crxzaino.jpg

svtzaino1.jpg

svtzaino3.jpg

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
NICE!!!! Looking cars!

I lusted for one of them CRXs back in the 80's!

My truck is kinda like Toppers car. Every couple years whether it needs it or not! The paint looks like excrement anyway....

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
I've started using Klasse on my truck - Can't really tell yet, as the truck is 5 weeks old - yes, the shine is better than factory

Last week it was - wash, clay, klasse All in one, followed by Mequires Carnuba - I don't have the Klasse S&G - that's coming.

My big trick? Go out and buy some Quick Detailing spray, and use it every day or two - keep it clean

Monolith

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
unnerv said:
I have used Mothers, Zymol, and Zaino, and Zaino to me is the best.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, if you need some more practice after all those cars, I'll drop mine off.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Skyline

Enlightened
Just Zaino'd my car a couple of weeks ago. I love the stuff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Btw, if you've never clay bar'd your car, you need to do it! It's practically the best thing you could do for your paint. It'll make your paint as smooth as a baby's a**. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Also, just ordered a Porter-Cable 7424 Random Orbit Polisher. I should be getting it in a few days. Hopefully, it'll inspire me to Zaino my car more often. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

20021101200000_7424_72dpi_500.jpg

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
KC2IXE said:
I've started using Klasse on my truck - Can't really tell yet, as the truck is 5 weeks old - yes, the shine is better than factory

Last week it was - wash, clay, klasse All in one, followed by Mequires Carnuba - I don't have the Klasse S&G - that's coming.

My big trick? Go out and buy some Quick Detailing spray, and use it every day or two - keep it clean

[/ QUOTE ]
Hey! Those are all my secrets too. I swear by Klasse. It is done once/year, and Quick Detail (I use Clear Pearl which used to be [still is?] the only one with carnuba wax in it) is used regularly. Use it on the entire car. Windows, mirrors - the entire exterior. Use microfiber, of course.

Use the S&G, and the protection and shine will last about four times longer than any "real" wax. Hint: Figure out how much S&G to use by reading the instructions, and then use about 25% of what you thank that means. Less is better! Use more (where you can actually see it) and you'll spend hours getting it off - and wasting it!

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
BTW for you detail nuts, or wannabes like me, go to Autopia and drop in the forums there - oh boy, they are as obsessive about detailing cars as we are about flashlights

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
I'm sure both those EVs still got brake dust and road film etc - not from themselves, but from others, the rubber particles in the road, rain (wait, you live where it doesn't rain - nevermind - I have to QD every day or 2 because of rain) etc

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
My wife did this yesterday, not her fault. Which one of those fancy waxes can help me buff it out? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

LezliSub0001.jpg