• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired E series LOTC 2 stage Upgrade offer

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys,

At the moment, I can offer to take your Z52 LOTC tail cap and modify it into a two stage tail cap. I will re use some of the components. I don't think I can promise to be accountable in guaranteeing that you will receive the same tailcap that you sent me. Because of this, I only want to modify like new caps at this point. I want to "cook" these as well as dissasemble them in groups where possible. I can't tag each component with your name and hope to keep track. I confuse too easily! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

The price for a modified LOTC turn around is $40 and that includes domestic priority mail and the PayPal fees. For Global Priority or International Air mail I ask for an additional $1.50.

I don't want to open the flood gates completely until I have had a chance to get a feel for how this works. By the same token, I see no reason to set some arbitrary number of slots. I think I'll let this go open and if need be, place a "pause" post here if things seem to be getting out of hand.

How I would like it to work:
Please post here of your intent to send me a tail cap(s). If you want to discuss resistor values or have questions about that, please post them here and not in a PM or E-mail. In addition to posting here, please send me an E-mail with your CPF name as well as real name and mailing address and let me know what you are sending and how you would like it resistored. From this e-mail I will set you up in my build schedule and have the base module built and ready for a quick turn around when I actually get your switch(s). Please no Pay Pal until you have received word that the switch is headed back to you.

For the time being, I am offering resistor boards with the following total resistance; all rated at 1/2 watt power:

15 ohm - good for boost [BB] and 1x123 with Lux III

22 ohm - good for L4 and other boost [BB] 2x123 with 5W

30 ohm - good for DB and other step down 3x123 and 5W

60 ohm - good for DB and other step down 2x123 and Lux III

As more is learned and shared here, I suspect that other values might well become prefered. The resistor board in these switches can be changed out by the individual and with proper equipment, the resistors themselves can easily be changed.

For those of you who want to do your own modding, Wayne will be offering modules and parts in the shoppe. If you are comfortable in taking your existing tail cap apart, as an option, I can send you a completed 2S module which has been resistored along with a replacement jam nut. You remove all from your LOTC but the rubber boot itself. You install the S2 jam nut and then snap the switch module up in place. If you would like to purchase the completed module with jam nut, the price is $33 including the domestic priority mail and Pay-Pal fees.

EDIT: Color code added for Darell and like minded individuals:
color-code.jpg

kj

Enlightened
Don,

I have a few Z52 that have already been taken apart /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif May I take the following 2S modules?

- One (1) 15 ohm
- One (1) 22 ohm
- One (1) 60 ohm

If it's too much, please let me know.

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
Don, (phillyjudge here), I would like to run my "TW4" on a 2s cap...15 ohms sounds good, but would 22 be too much? in case I wanted to use it on the L4...or would 15 be too bright on the L4?

Geoff.

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like one- 22 ohm 2S module with jam nut.

please
e-mail sent
mut /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

marcspar

Enlightened
Don,

Can you supply (for an extra cost) the Z52 LOTC tail cap itself?

Thanks,

Marc

jtice

Flashaholic
Just a quick question, that might be kinda hard to answer...

I have a PR-T LuxIII DB911, and would love a S2 for it.
Can you give me an idea of what the light output will be like on low? Can you tell me a light, that it will be comparable to?

Thanks, I think I will go for one of the 60 Ohm DIY ones at first.

-John

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
Don:
I'm sending 4 new Z52 LOTC's. Email will be next.
Thank you,
oldgrandpajack

EDIT: Email sent. Need your address.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys,

I'll check the e-mails on my PC later today when I get back from the dentist. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Real quick,
The 15 ohm works on the L4 but on my bench test, the power looked to be at 1/5 watt so I am a bit concerned about the longevity of the resistors. Waynementioned that these resistors can handle more power with a decent path for thermal relief and I suspect that the resistor PCBitself, coupled with contact to thebattery tube may well be up to the task but ultimately, I don't know. The god news is that the reistors can be changed easily as can the resistor board itself. If a resistor were to blow, you would loose the low level of output but you would not endanger or effect the high output. For the TW4, I think the 15 ohm would be the proper selection. for the L4, I think a better balance is available from the 22 ohm. This is just my opinion and it's really still too soon to be stating absolutes.

Marc,

I have a few complete caps but don't want to get hammered on TK's based on the LOTC's so I am not offering them as an option here. However, send me an e-mail and I think I can aid you in getting a completed unit.

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
jtice said:
Just a quick question, that might be kinda hard to answer...

I have a PR-T LuxIII DB911, and would love a S2 for it.
Can you give me an idea of what the light output will be like on low? Can you tell me a light, that it will be comparable to?

Thanks, I think I will go for one of the 60 Ohm DIY ones at first.

-John

[/ QUOTE ]

John,

I'll try and take a stab at giving you an answer as I believe my L1-PR-T-DB917 has a resistor level somewhere around 60Ohm IIRC. The low is pretty low...probably lower than what you would expect. BUT due to the reflector design, it gathers up all of that light into a nice beam with a very soft corona. As an example, on low, I can distinguish lighter colors at about 30', but the darker colors look black. I can *see* out to 90'+, but cannot distinguish any colors. I can easily manuever around my house, but need to be more cautious when outside in a darker colored enviornment. I can't really compare it to any other LED light I have because the beam pattern is so different. It will EASILY beat out my Arc LS1 for throw, but the Arc is putting out way more total light. If really pressed to make a comparison, on a ceiling bounce test, I would ballpark total output on low to be Arc AA X 2. Maybe others with the newer L1s can give you a better idea.

Hope this helps.

Brian

jtice

Flashaholic
Thanks Brian,
About an Arc AA x 2 would actually be perfect! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I understand it being hard to compare, due to the totally different beam patern.

Thanks, Im in for on 60 Ohm one then. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Are we not supposed to send these yet?
Let me know when and where. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
I'll step back for the moment so that others might get those, too, as they are so magnificent! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif
bernhard

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Kenji,
No problem! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Some of you have stated wants here but I have yet to receive E-mails. I will only work from E-mail. I hope none of you have sent PM's cause I don't look there very often; should turn the dang thing off!

I will respond to your E-mail and at that point, schedule in the build in my spread sheet. I plan to have the modules ready to put into your tailcaps when i get them. Go ahead and send the tail cap(s) as soon as you have received a confirmation E-mail in response to the one you send me.

If I am not being clear here, perhaps some one can paraphrase for me?!?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Thanks guys.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Jtice,

What Brian said! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Actually the L1-PR-T's have 70 to 75 ohm resistors so the 60 will be a tad brighter. When someone can quantify what a tad is, I have a bunch of tads that need quantifying! I also have some windows that......

Oh yeah, when I respond to your e-mail, my address is in my sig line along with my fax and phone number. (at the bottom) People miss it all the time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
For those of you who want to do your own modding, Wayne will be offering modules and parts in the shoppe...

[/ QUOTE ]

When will the modules and parts be available at the shoppe?