Which flashlight has the farthest throw on AAs

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just wondering which flashlight that runs on rechargable AAs has the farthest throw. It should fit in a coat pocket, if it sticks out that is OK. It would be great if it was dimmable or had more then one brightness mode.

I have searched and looked in the flashlightreviews, (great site), but can't figure out which one it is.

So what are your thoughts? Which flashlight is it?

Thanks

Keith

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very good question. I don't have an answer, only another question:

Would you include AA lights with, for lack of a better word, 'odd' battery configurations? The Blaster Jr comes to mind with it's '3 to D' converter. It's roughly 6 inches long -- but as thick as a D cell light, and should have pretty good throw. There are also the 'double barreled' AA lights.

I want the answer, too.

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I would definatly include the Blaster Jr., since it is after all still just running on AAs. I woudl include the Doubel barrled AAs and the AAs all in one line like a pager.
And I would include the commercial mods, so a mag with a different head could do it too.

Just farthest throw, read spot light, hand held, coat pocketable, and runs on AA's (expecially rechargable AAs).

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Though it's not an "off the shelf" item, I would vote for a boosted Arc LS with a Fraen optic running on the TSP-AA pack. Add one of Gadget_Lover's spring mods to give it dual brightness. The VIP with the upcoming AA pack would be even better.

Peter

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Mini-Mag modded with a Fraen and a sammy from the Shoppe would be a good choice too. It would do everything the modded LS would (except the dual brightness, I think) for less money.

Peter

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Ah yes...the Surge! The only light that I own that illicits a near religious responce from almost everyone that lightst it off outside on a dark night! Usulally get something like: "Holy s--t! What is this thing? A F...g light sabre?"

May not have the longest throw, but difinately puts out an impressive wall of light!

K-T

*Moderator*
Haven't seen the Surge but the UKE 4AA is supposed to throw far, too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
You might try this one.... It runs off of 2 AA batteries.

turbomm10.jpg

It's discussed in the killer minimag thread. Look for the picture of the palm tree. Yup, that's over 300 feet.
Killer mini mag thread

Daniel

Last edited:

capnal

Enlightened
Please!!
Consider the Streamlight Tasklight 3AA, 1 watt Luxeon. Streamlight rates this light at 35 lumens. (BTW, because it only has a lux. they call it just a task light, NOT a "twin task")

I just got one of these, and I was really impressed with it's performance. You won't be disappointed.

Task Lights

tasklight_spec_06.jpg

kd9uu

Newly Enlightened
It looks like BrightGuy's first shipment of
Streamlight 2AA Juniors came in, web page
they would probably be a good bet though I don't know of anyone reviewing it yet. The [I assume] unregulated 3AA version is [as mentioned above] quite stunning for a stock light but would not be so bright for so long with NiMh as a boosted type light would be.

Another stunning light is the Dorcy 1 or 2AA modded with 1 or 3 watt Luxeon emmiter and Fraen LP. Gadget_lover taught me about taking apart Duracell branded CR-V3 to get cheap 3V 1AA cells [other brands may not work!!], I use one in the mod'd 1AA Dorcy, VERY bright!! 2AA Dorcy modded with Fraen, a LUx and some NiMh would be a wonderful throw if your optic and emitter are perfectly centered [not every light I make turns out this way]. Next I'll try a SO17XA reflector in the Dorcy lights, it's been done already by another CPFr. My guess is that will have a very uniform beam and some spill, less throw than Fraen? Probably.

Dorcy's new 2AA 1W Lux light,
model #41-4265, should be forthcoming any month now, sigh.

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
PocketBeam said:
So, we have the Arc LSHF-P Shown here if teh lin works - http://store.yahoo.com/flashlight/arclsnfomo.html

And the Princeton Tec Surge.

And then finally the Gadget_Lover mini-mag mod. Daniel that shot of the palm tree 300 feet away was beyond impressive. So where do you get the spacer for that? And what were the otehr parts you used and from where?

Thanks,

Keith

[/ QUOTE ]

i can't believe that the Arc LSHF is even being mentioned with the Blaster Jr. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

don't think the arc can touch the Blaster Jr.'s 2600-3000 lux. and that's the Blaster Jr. version 1 with 1 watt and resistance added. i can only imagine the new Blaster Jr. with 3 watt and no resistance to be hitting close to 4000 lux if not more especially with the revised 30mm optics.

yes the blaster Jr. is a little more "hefty" but it's about 1/3 the price and stills fits in a coat pocket.

im sure the Arc LSHF is a nice light, but don't think it's $150 price tag makes it a better throwing light.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry Guys!!

If running off rechargeable AA's is the only criteria, then a 3D mag with 3 triple AA to D's and a WelchAllyn 1185 bulb eats them all up! The only reasonable thing brighter and with more throw doesn't fit in a tube or cost less than 300 bucks!

If in line AA's, then a 2C mag with MrBulks battery extender and 6 AA's with a WelchAllyn 1111 or similar comes to mind!

Bill

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
For easy, it's hard to beat a Koehler Bright-Star 4AA running off a 3C/D cell Krypton bulb. That thing really has a tight and bright beam on 4 NIMH cells.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sotto, how about the Xenon instead of the Krypton bulb?

Haven't tried the 3 with 4 cell combo, but I run the 5 cell Xenon with 3 123's and it is bright!!

Bill

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
PocketBeam said:

And then finally the Gadget_Lover mini-mag mod. Daniel that shot of the palm tree 300 feet away was beyond impressive. So where do you get the spacer for that? And what were the otehr parts you used and from where?

Thanks,

Keith

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad you liked it Keith.

I built the spacer from a rod of delrin. It's turned down to the diameter of the D cell mag head, then threaded on the outside. The inside is bored to the diameter of the minimag and a plastic set screw mates with one of the minimag threads. The reflector is from a mag. It's had the neck cut off.

The minimag is using a T binned Lux III with a K Vf. The converter is a madmax-plus-wideopen sandwich. I could run it brighter, but I don't want to unless I move to an aluminium spacer for better heat transfer.

The batteries used during the palm tree photos are L91 lithium AA. It does quite well on NiMH too.

Oh. it's also got a hi/low kroll switch for when you only want to see across the yard. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Daniel

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
bwaites:

I personally have not had good luck overdriving the Xenon bulbs. Last Christmas I bought a 3D M@g, put 4 C cells in it, and promptly blew two 3D cell Xenon bulbs. A 3D krypton bulb worked fine (and still does).