X5T Flickering

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Inova X5T is flickering again. Not the flicker of a dieing LED, but that of a twisty tail switch that's not making good electrical contact. What's the best solution? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

simbad

Enlightened
Since the X5 is not regulated the flickering won't be any other problem than maintenance, that means threads,springs and battery contacts IMO.

StuU

Enlightened
Try using a pencil eraser to reach into the barrel and firmly clean the positive contact........

C

Cosmic Superchunk

[ QUOTE ]
Echo63 said:
i would say try cleaning the contacts with a swab (like the ones you clean your ears out with) soaked in alcohol

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly what I did when my X5 started flickering. After cleaning the contacts with rubbing alcohol, I applied a little Radio Shack Lub Gel to the threads and o-ring and it was as good as new.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gave all the contacts a cleaning with a pencil eraser, but it still flickers. Isn't it likely that the problem is somewhere in the tail switch, in an area you can't get to with an eraser? The battery contact plate in the tail has to make contact with the tail body, somehow. Those contacts are internal to the tail switch.

People have had similar problems with the tail sw. in the Dorcy AAA. One suggestion there was to use the lanyard hanger to spin the tail sw. internals while the light was activated.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the reason why your light flickers is due to the fact that the contact spring is not in solid contact with the battery. And the cause of it most likely is a dry rubber 'O' ring. Try some cleaning and greasing like what the others have said and you would be fine. Mine flicker once and after the cleaning and greasing it works perfectly.