Arc4x?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam

Newly Enlightened
I've seen only brief mention of this flashlight. What exactly is it? More powerful version of the Arc4? I don't see it for sale anywhere, unfortunately, or else I spose I'd be interested in purchasing one.

If anyone could provide me some information, I'd be much obliged.

was_jlh

Enlightened
Welcome Adam, if you will search this forum ( Arc ), you will find more threads than you can read at one time on the subject. Set your search date range to newer than one year.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
4x.jpg

Adam

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies, guys. I guess that means it isn't available for sale /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif.

paulr

Flashaholic
Adam, they show up for sale sometimes. Ray sold one recently for $375, if I remember right. If you're still in the market after hearing that, ask around, maybe something will turn up.

Adam

Newly Enlightened
Yowza! Quite pricey indeed! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

More than anything, I'm rather curious as to how these folks managed to obtain them in the first place?

Overall, I'm looking for as powerful a light as I can find that's somewhere between the size of the upcoming Inova T3 and the Arc4+. I'd prefer something the size of the Arc4+, but I need something very powerful. This is why I asked about the X.

I'm "technically" an IT technician at a laboratory, but I end up doing a whole slough of things there and I keep needing a decent flashlight. Since I'm a flashaholic like the rest of your chaps, I figured I might as well go for the gold and get something I'll really like. Unfortunately, I can't find consistent enough figures for output to be able to determine which light is indeed the brightest.

I'm thinking about waiting for the Inova T3 and seeing how that tests out. I mean, the Inovas are pretty slick looking but, let's face it, the Arc4 is far slicker (not to mention it has that gadget factor that us flashaholics flock to). Although, I'll admit, I think the LSH-P is the nicest looking.

Maybe someone can help me out with this? Argh! So many flashlights, so little time.

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like you might need to get yourself a decent incan. But befor I go into that can I ask if theres a reason that you need an led? Or is it just the "Its an LED" factor?

Adam

Newly Enlightened
I suppose there are a variety of factors. Admittedly, the cool factor of LEDs is involved. However, I also like the lower power consumption as well as just general beam characteristics. However, some of the incandescents I've noticed do produce the right type of light. Just a little more mundane I suppose, and seemingly bulkier.

paulr

Flashaholic
If you want an LED light brighter than a regular Arc4+, I'd say ease off on the size requirement and get a Surefire L4.

Arc made a few Arc 4x's (there were only a few because the LED's in them were so rare) and sold them here on BST. There was generally a feeding frenzy whenever one became available. I guess more will probably show up sooner or later, as LED's improve.

Adam

Newly Enlightened
Hmm, reviews I've read seem to indicate the L4 is dimmer. I guess not?

Any idea how bright the T3 might be? Doesn't seem like a whole lot of information is available on it.

I kinda want to have a light for EDC. With the size of the Arc, I could fit it in a pouch to take care of it. If it's an Inova...it's cheap enough that I won't much care I spose so I'd just throw it in my pocket. I guess no 4x, though, either by inability to find one or inability afford one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JanCPF

Enlightened
Hi Adam, welcome to CPF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

The overall output of the L4 is higher than any available Arc model. I would suggest that you buy an L4 and an E1e. Then if you want something a bit more EDC'able than the L4, you just put it's KL4 head onto the E1e body (combo known as TW4) and run it on one 123 cell. It wont be as bright as the stock L4, but if you are lucky to get a good low Vf luxeon in that KL4, it will still be very bright allthough it probably wont be thowing as far as an Arc4+. The KL4 is more of a flood beam or a "wall of light" as we like to call it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Jan

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have an Arc4x but I have had two Arc4+'s and a Surefire L4. The L4 is brighter but puts out more of a flood, were the Arc4+ beam is tighter. So the L4 lights up "everything" in front of you because of it's wide beam angle. The down side of the L4 is that it's longer and only runs at full brightness (65 minutes). I do have some shots comparing the Arc4+ at it's brightest level compared to the L4:

arc4inside3.jpg

Wisti

Newly Enlightened
If you want a very bright light and you like the form factor
of the LSH , lok for a modded LSH !
Some of them are even brighter than the 4+ although with
less runtime and most of them are in the price range of
$100 to $150 .

RayT

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
Adam, they show up for sale sometimes. Ray sold one recently for $375, if I remember right. If you're still in the market after hearing that, ask around, maybe something will turn up.

[/ QUOTE ]If that is me that you are talking about I have yet to see the light as I have not received the light. Peter has said the light may be available around the end of July.

I patiently await the arrival before deciding what I am going to do with the light. I have an Arc LSH and a Surefire A4 and A2. I may not need the Arc but since when is need a factor in owning these lights so saying I may not need the light is irrational statement.

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not you RayT.... there are talking of This_is_Nascar (Ray aka T_I_N).

Sorry for the confusion.

RayT

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
cue003 said:
Not you RayT.... there are talking of This_is_Nascar (Ray aka T_I_N).

Sorry for the confusion.

[/ QUOTE ]
No need to apologize, confusion is part of my life and this is just caused another brain cell to be fried.

Adam

Newly Enlightened
Wow! Thanks for the information, guys! Special thanks to Sean for the pictures! It looks as if the Arc4 has more the type of beam I need. I'm going to be doing things such as needing to get the light focused over a fairly long reach, so a floodlight type projection would actually hurt me more than it would help me.

Now what's this about modified Arc LSH's? That sounds intriguing. I actually prefer the LSH's design, but it seems as if the Arc4 is a superior product performance-wise. RayT, are you getting an Arc4x?

Oh yeah, and thanks for the welcome, Jan /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Adam

Newly Enlightened
I just noticed an ad for HDS systems which alleges to have made a 60 lumens modified Arc4? Anyone know anything about these guys?

Mattman

Enlightened
RayT, we tend to refer to several members by their real names at times. Instead of Gransee, we'll use Peter...instead of This_is_Nascar, you'll see TIN, T_I_N or Ray...and when you see the name Wayne, you have to put it in context to figure out if it's an Elektrolumens reference or a Sandwich Shoppe reference. It's a confusing world, isn't it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.