Gerber Infinity Ultra- Cutting Costs

gadgetgeekman

Newly Enlightened
I picked up a replacement InfinityUltra which was lost. It was the new Gerber packaging and to my surprise it did not include the neck strap. I guess they're getting cheap.

Lou

haley1

Enlightened
I noticed the turning action wasn't as smooth as well. Or maybe it was just on this one unit.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
I have both CMG and Gerber. I think they are in transition. I've got Gerbers in light and dark green with white LEDs and black with red LEDs. None of them had the lanyard. They all turn on by twisting the head. I read that the Gerbers were going to turn on by twisting the tail. The quality was the same as near as I could tell.

batterystation

Enlightened
Mechanics should be identical. They did drop the lanyards. I am still not sure what I think of the whole "transition" yet. I think it is more bad than good though I do like Gerber products as a consumer. I guess time will tell.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
No lanyard? Too bad. The Infinity is one light that I frequently hang from lanyard in a tent or boat. Also hope they don't move the twisty to the tail. On small lights I prefer the twist head, so I can do it one handed.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
If they have to cut costs somewhere, I am glad it is by eliminating the lanyard. It is easy enough to add a lanyard yourself, but if they start scrimping on LED quality or manufacturing quality, then this might no longer be a great light.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
RonM said:
...Also hope they don't move the twisty to the tail. On small lights I prefer the twist head, so I can do it one handed.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've heard anectdotal reports that they are going to move the twisty from the head to the tailcap. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
I cannot confirm this though, so maybe this rumour is just wrong. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't help it, what business does a baby food company have running a flashlight company? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Having children, I just picture baby food jars every time you mention gerber...

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's what I though about Gerber when I discovered they made pocket knives. Then I got one and learned that they make some really good, serious knives. I guess it's the same company that makes baby food. It seems like they should have started a different brand name for the hardware.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
NOT the same company!!!
Gerber is owned by Fiskars, now, but when they were independant, they made VERY nice stuff

paulr

Flashaholic
Gerber even in the old days was sort of the Mag Instruments of knives. Their stuff had certainly better quality than the usual junk from the dime store, but was never anything to get a connoisseur excited.