Arc LS review

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my Arc LS (#018) a couple days ago. Overall impressions:
- Form factor: This is what I got my Arc LS 123A for. I wasn't looking for a Maglite 2AA replacement, which is why I didn't bother with the LS 2AA battery compartment. The LS 123A's form factor is excellent. The LS has the same head width as the SureFire E1. The E1's body is thinner but longer than the LS 123A's body. There is a very important distinction here: The LS 123A fits comfortably in my watch pocket, the E1 doesn't.

- Beam: Nice! It is what I expected, a nice bright light with wide-enough focus to be useable for general use. The SureFire E-series beamshaper fits the LS, but unlike the E1, the LS does not really need the beamshaper in order to be useful. The beam is nice and white with some yellow around it, though the yellow doesn't bother me at all.

- Fit and Finish: Very nice! HA is well done, though I'd like to see more aggressive gnurling.

- Switch: Okay, here's where I rate the LS 123A as unacceptable. The switch is harder to turn than I'd hoped, but to some extent this is the price to pay for water resistance, so I don't mind. What I do mind is that even two-handed, I can barely get the LS to turn on at all. Reading other threads, this is a problem Arc knows about, and they plan to send out a solution at some point. Until then, the LS is relegated to "novelty light", or rarely-used just-in-case light.

In Summary: With the switch fixed, this light could be a fave, perhaps beating out the E1, and probably being on par with the E1 at the very least. Great form factor, great beam, nice fit and finish -- can't wait 'til the switch gets fixed!

Joe

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Joe,
you can fix your lithium LS today! I had the same problem and wrote Peter Gransee about it. A few minutes later I got an answer about the fix. While I waited for a second answer about the method of foam washer removal, I plucked the thing out in bits with a needle nose plier. When I got down to the cobalt/gold contact plate, I switched to thumbnail to avoid scratches. Luckily (?) the stickum isn't of a permanent type, and rubs off cleanly..then Gransee's email arrived advising to do pretty much what I'd done - but to use a plastic tool for the remaining bits..
If you have a hole punch tool the right size, that is, a little wider than the nipple on 123 lithium, you could just widen the hole,carefully, if you're willing to risk a scratch..this is the fix Mr. Gransee will be mailing out; another foam ring with a wider hole...

..a little silicone lube on the threads, and some 'exercise' -- and the light turns off and on nicely. I hold it 'backwards' (with light facing into palm) to turn the back end easily, the lanyard flange/hole makes a good thumb rest, then flip it back over..
I'm using 123's that are dim in my Surefire -- still makes a nice bright light, a good throw, using about 480 ma at 2.2 volts.
I wonder how much time is left in the battery..?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
As you have probably read, Arc plans on modifying the foam retainer ring to more easily fit the 123 battery and has promised to send the modified retainer rings to current Arc LS owners. Meanwhile, you could modify the retainer yourself with a soldering iron to make the hole bigger or remove it all together although you would then have battery rattle.

I agree with your points and would add that I wish the circumference of the battery packs were a bit smaller as I think the batteries are too loose inside them.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
gee: ya, the inside of the battery pack provides pretty roomy digs for the battery. I scratched my head about why Arc would have milled out so much extra metal. The only guess I could come up with is that the unit balanced funny with all the extra metal, so Arc milled out some extra to fix it up.

Joe

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, pliers and fingernails it is. If I mess up, I could always just wait until the official Arc fix gets mailed out. Right now, I have the unit sitting at home tightened up just a hair before it turns on. I was hoping that would compress the foam a bit, but in retrospect that sounds like wishful thinking!

Joe

Forge

Newly Enlightened
This is all soooooooo depressing! April is a LONG TIME to wait.
frown.gif

Gman

Enlightened
All 123 batts are not the same diameter, especially around the "crimp" at the top, so a little extra room is nice.

When the threads on the LS burnish in it will turn more easily, they're fresh and I suspect a standard 60 degree non modified cut. That means the tops of the thread pitch will need to wear a liite. The black you see in the grease and on your fingers is aluminum from that happening. Give it time and exercise and it'll get much better.

FWIW, I've been using the E2 beamshaper on my LS and I actually prefer the beam it gives, especially for close work.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, enlarged the hole, cleaned and re-silicone-greased the threads. The action is still a bit gritty, but smoother and a bit lighter than it was. It also turns on easier. I'd say I got the action from "unacceptabble" to "acceptable". I'm going to play with it a bit, see if I can get it to "fun to play with" smooth.

Joe

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joe Talmadge:
gee: ya, the inside of the battery pack provides pretty roomy digs for the battery. I scratched my head about why Arc would have milled out so much extra metal. The only guess I could come up with is that the unit balanced funny with all the extra metal, so Arc milled out some extra to fix it up.

Joe
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The reason for the extra room was to further prevent a bad battery from swelling up inside the housing and getting stuck.

Peter Gransee

JoeyL

Enlightened
I was lucky enough to get one of these and I have no problems at all. The stiff switch turning is a minor problem for me. I put some Pledge furniture wax on a q-tip and put it on the thread and O-ring. This seems to work well.

What I really like is the beam and intensity. The color is a better white than the sample LS'es I ordered before to put in flashlight modifications. With a fresh battery it puts out more light than a fresh E1 but more diffuse so it doesn't throw as far.

I am really impressed with the fit and appearance and I know a few friends who will really appreciate them when they are easily available.

Great job, Peter!

Termac

Newly Enlightened
I've found that my Sanyo Industrial NiMH AAs cave in a bit under compression in the LS, while my Rayovac NiMHs are holding up a little better.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last update. I stuck a little circle of aluminum foil into the hole. Now the LS lights up much easier. I imagine I might be sacrificing some light, because the contact isn't as good? In any case, it's easy to turn on and off now.

Joe