• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired AUCTION: Li14430 light Offer Upgraded!

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Auction with % benefit to CPF. Ends Sunday June 27 11PM EDT.
Offered for sale at auction, light similar to one pictured below. Also included are two Li-ion 14430 size cells [light requires only one cell] and appropriate charger. Chief Wiggum says In short, it's very bright, very small, 2 level light with long very constant output runtimes that's RECHARGABLE. I believe that he has it pretty much right.
Larry_turn_me_on.jpg

Full details concerning this light can be found at this link: Lots O'lumens
Be aware that none of the lights pictured in the linked post or this one are the actual lights you are bidding on. I do not own a camera and therefore I am unable to take any pictures of the actual lights offered for sale. Be assured that externally they are pretty much similar to those pictured. As described in the linked posts these lights were manufactured in a reflector version and an optic version. They were also manufactured in a variety of low and high current settings. Winning bidder will have the selection of any one of three different lights described below with option to purchase second choice at same bid price.

Option A Optic version with approximate Low/High current settings of 110/520 mA. This is the light used to produce the runtime graphs which were linked to the Lots O'lumens thread. Beam peak lux@1M L/H is 160/470. TXOJ Lux III emitter.

Option B Optic version with approximate Low/High current settings of 60/700 mA. Estimated regulated runtimes Low/High are 10 hours/50 min. Beam peak lux@1M L/H is 100/590. TV1J Lux III emitter.

Option C Reflector version with approximate Low/High current settings of 60/700 mA. Estimated regulated runtimes Low/High are 10 hours/50 min. Beam peak lux@1M L/H is 30/160. TV1J Lux III emitter.

Since I don't have beamshots to offer, a brief description of the optic vs reflector beam patterns is in order. They are very different! Comparing Options B and C. The optic produces a distinct, broad, spot about 28 degrees beam width with a half intensity beam width of about 15 degrees. It also produces a wide but relatively dim spill. On High, 30 degrees off-axis reads about 3 lux@1M. The reflector produces a smaller and dimmer spot than the optic but has a much brighter and more uniform spill. On High, 30 degrees off-axis reads about 19 lux@1M.

Of interest to Non-US bidders, the charger can accept inputs from 100-240VAC, 47-63Hz.

Disclaimers
This light was designed and built by three yahoos with no known prior experience in commercial production of flashlights. While designed and built to exacting standards, this light has been in existance for only a few days and thus statistics on long term reliability are shakey at best.

Use of "bare" li-ion cells which are removable from the powered device by the customer is generally not a design condoned by li-ion cell manufacturers. The electronics and associated cell as used in this light and the associated charger have been evaluated by me for safety for creditable failure modes. They [light and charger]have not been evaluated for safety with regard to all possible forms of abuse . I subscribe to the notion that nothing can be made "fool proof" because the fools are so damned ingenious. Bad ideas include, but are not limited to, using inappropriate charger, crushing or otherwise mechanically damaging cell, use of cell in devices other than this light, storing cell in your pocket along with a wad of steel wool. By bidding on this light you agree to hold harmless, me or anyone else associated with design and construction of this light for any damages, real, imagined, or consequential, associated with ownership or use of this light and associated accessories.
Whew, enough of that BS.

These lights operate at high power and thus can get quite hot. Those with high currents set at 700 mA and above are designed on the assumption that for extended operation the light will be held by a bare hand for heat dissapation. Larry reports that he was able to hold one of his set for >700 mA for the entire duration of a Star Trek rerun barehanded. I believe that he said that he did swap hands occasionally. If set down for long, it will get too hot to comfortably pick up. We choose not to inscribe in tiny letters "Caution! Hot!". We believe that if you pick one up under these conditions it will soon be self evident that it is hot. Instructional video not included.

Unless Sasha sees fit to alter it for reasons of her choosing, let's end this auction at 11 PM EDT, Sunday June 27. Winning bid will be last bid timestamped by CPF as 10:59 or earlier. I reserve right to cancel auction if CPF is down for any portion of the last hour of auction. If winning bidder does not exercise his option to purchase second light, I may [but am not obligated to] offer choice of second light to the next highest bidder at their last bid price.

Be aware that I will be leaving for an extended trip July 2 and will be incommunicado for most of the Month of July. If payment is not made by July 1, there will be a considerable delay in consumating this deal.

10% of proceeds from light(s) purchased by winning bidder will go to CPF for operating expenses.

Finally, here is a picture of the Li14430 compared to an ARC AA and a CMG Infinity. As you can see, you don't get much for your money.
Top to bottom: ARC AA, Li14430, CMG Infinity
Larry_comparison.jpg

Offer Upgraded!
I should have thought of this before. Included is one free upgrade: your LED, my labor.
One of the aspects of this light design is that it permits changeout of the LED. This doesn't mean it's particularly easy to do. If your tool set consists of a #2 phillips and a Weller soldering gun, your chances of success are limited. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I personally would have trouble doing it with anything short of a stereomicroscope and just the right tip for my Metcal soldering station. At some future date if you find what you consider to be the perfect emitter, say an "X" bin Lux III [yeah, dream on], I will install it for you at no charge. Shipping risks are yours, however.

Last edited:

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: AUCTION: Li14430 light

[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
$275

[/ QUOTE ]
Huh?? Don, I expect you to be selling these, not buying them. Look out folks, I think this is a shill bid. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

marcspar

Enlightened

$350

Due to the shoddy workmanship and bad reputations of its creators, I doubt anyone will bid higher.

I must be slightly off to even bid this high - it does not even have a krypton bulb, for gosh sakes....

Marc

Raindrop

Enlightened

Assuming that a street addresss could be provided where I could express mail a Postal Money Order if I were lucky enough to be the high bidder /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif $425

~Greg

Hoghead

Flashaholic*

Deleted by Hoghead, I had second thoughts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

jtice

Flashaholic

Great to see one of these being sold here....

even though the very first bid was over my head! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*

Very very very nice and small collector Flashlight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif
But

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif No time nor money to bid for this beauty before my holidays /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

Shill Alert! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif I don't think the pics have really done the light's size justice. Here one is with an E2e:

site1061.jpg

If you aint picky about a few thou, it's the same size as a pair of 123's!

Larry

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

Now, those are very effective photos! Inside an E2e's mouth!

Oh man... sorry to miss this one.

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmmm..., one bid in the last 3 days. I'm thinking that maybe I should end this early and just send it to Brian.
Nah, I might **** someone off. Instead, let's sweeten the pot:

Offer Upgraded!
I should have thought of this before. Included is one free upgrade: your LED, my labor.
One of the aspects of this light design is that it permits changeout of the LED. This doesn't mean it's particularly easy to do. If your tool set consists of a #2 phillips and a Weller soldering gun, your chances of success are limited. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I personally would have trouble doing it with anything short of a stereomicroscope and just the right tip for my Metcal soldering station. At some future date if you find what you consider to be the perfect emitter, say an "X" bin Lux III [yeah, dream on], I will install it for you at no charge. Shipping risks are yours, however.

Greta

Flashaholic

*BUMP*

<font color="red">Ends TONIGHT!!!</font>