Woohoo! New to the boards, and extremely excited!

Whiplash

Newly Enlightened
Hey what's up?
I've been a gadget enthusiast all of my life, and particularly interested in flashlights, but I never knew there were others like me!!! For the past couple of days I have been surfing the forums and I read kenshiro's reviews and have just been researching various manufacturers and their flashlights. Can't wait to learn more about everything. Sweeeeet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Woohoo! New to the boards, and extremely excit

Hey there Whiplash, get ready to whip out your wallet. Welcome to the CPF. What do you have for lights now? CYA later.

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Please do the following before going any further:

1. Cut up your credit cards.
2. Get a second job.
3. If you are married, tell your wife that you have a mistress and will be sending your paychecks to her.

These steps will ensure your sanity in the following months.
Welcome to the CPF!

georget98

Enlightened

Just think of the fun you'll have watching your friends' react to a $200 flashlight that goes through $25 worth of batteries in 40 minutes.

capnal

Enlightened

You (might) try this...
I just recently made a spreadsheet of all the lights remaining on my wishlist including pricing and sorted by priority. This at least gave me a visual of what I had laying in front of me....only 52 items on my list remaining to buy. That is actually really sad considering how many I ALREADY own.

My point? Make a list! That way you can legitimize your spending!

Whiplash

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Hey there Whiplash, get ready to whip out your wallet. Welcome to the CPF. What do you have for lights now?

[/ QUOTE ]
I have a Maglite 3D and a McCulloch X990 (too late for the credit card!)
[ QUOTE ]
1. Cut up your credit cards.

[/ QUOTE ]
Heh, sounds like a good idea. Surefire's stuff is expensive! But it's so...tempting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
[ QUOTE ]
Just think of the fun you'll have watching your friends' react to a $200 flashlight that goes through $25 worth of batteries in 40 minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]
I jsut had a load of fun watching my friends react to a $500 flashlight that lights up the whole room like daylight. I just added my review of the ACRO (McCulloch) X990 to the HID forum. Dude the light is insane. I don't know if I will be able to stop the spending after seeing this thing.

The spreadsheet thing sounds like a good idea. My goal, though, is not too own every, or even as many, flashlights as I can, but rather to find the badass ones and own those. X990, check.

batterystation

Enlightened

Yeah, we sell batteries and I can't keep up. You know you're a flashaholic when...........
Seriously though, welcome aboard. This is not only a fun place, but it is full of the most knowledgeable, generous, and fun people you will ever meet. I can personally vouch for over 4000 of them. Well a lot anyway.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

welcome Whiplash,

You must have ARC and Surefire products in your arsenal no matter what ya do.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
nikon said:
I think we need a 12 step program.

[/ QUOTE ]

Flashaholics Anonymous - it has a ring to it.
We might not have coffee and donuts at the meetings,
but the place will be well-lit!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
PhotonWrangler said:
[ QUOTE ]
nikon said:
I think we need a 12 step program.

[/ QUOTE ]

Flashaholics Anonymous - it has a ring to it.
We might not have coffee and donuts at the meetings,
but the place will be well-lit!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Why, I'm not certain I know what you mean, sir. I find that a late night brandy helps me increase the extent to which I test my lights. As we all know, extensive testing is a contribution to the clan that we have an obligation to perform.

batterystation

Enlightened
There is a Flashaholics Anonymous thread burried deep in the Cafe somewhere. I am in denial though so will have nothing to do with it. Besides new members are too new to even have to deal with that yet (Ha but it won't be long).

Whiplash

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for all of the welcomes and links. ARC and SureFire seem to be the top manufacturers as far as I can tell. Right now I am looking for the best LED flashlight I can find. Something compact with a Luxeon 1 watt or 5 watt LED prefferably. Maybe you guys could point me in the right direction. Is there even a company that puts a 5W Luxeon in a flashlight?

-Wes

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, you could go with a Surefire L4- 5 watt LED, small enough to pocket, good quality.

L4

Or you could go the custom route. Lots to find there. The L4 is a great start, though

daloosh

Flashaholic*,

Welcome to CPF, Whiplash, and why dontcha stay awhile!

You'll certainly get whiplash from the high speeds at which your paypal will see money go by! Especially if your second light is HID. Geez, at this rate by the sixth or seventh you'll hit a couple grand!

I'm sure you'll see and hear a lot here about one and three watt Luxeons, the other more common 5W is the Nuwai. And you'll certainly want to drop in an LED module like the Diamond in your Mag, if you haven't already, right?

Hold on to your hat, and welcome again,
daloosh

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

Hey there Whiplash - "Welcome to The Club"!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I can't even keep up with all the posts anymore, but it sure is interesting trying!!

Try and read up on the rules and policies here and there as you see them posted as "stickies", it may answer a lot of your questions before you need to ask them!

Enjoy and once again - "Welcome!"

turbodog

Flashaholic

Maybe he could buy the photon king that was in the threads a while back.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif