Just acquired an ACRO X990: *PICS ARE HERE!*

Whiplash

Newly Enlightened
After reading kenshiro's superlight reviews, I decided on the KumKang HID Searchlight and began searching the web to find one. I came out unsuccessful, however, as not even KumKang's site has the flashlight listed. They have a different model, not the one kenshiro reviewed. After reading his review and subsequent comparison of the McCulloch X990, and finding out that it is made here in the states, my next goal was to buy one of these. I ordered it from www.brightguy.com, and it arrived a few days ago.

bmrx990.jpg

(More pictures are below)

Wow, this light is insane! After looking at the pictures of the light and at the car charger, I thought that the battery was a slim stick that slid into the bottom of the flashlight. Upon receiving it, however, I discovered that the battery is the bottom of the flashlight. The stick part of it slides up into the lower housing, and the battery cells are contained in the base. The light came with two batteries, a notable improvment over the KumKang, which seems to have its battery built in, thus making its potential runtime shorter and a battery failure probable cause for an entire light replacement (as far as I can tell).

The light is relatively heavy (probably somewhere around 8 pounds), but I have always had the somewhat subconcious belief that heavy things are of high quality. The battery and main body casing are made of extremely durable plastic. It is "soft," capable of absorbing shock, yet extremely tough. The light housing, on the other hand, is made of relatively thin aluminum. While the chromed main housing and black matte lower housing feels good to the touch and serves as a heat sink for the light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif, it seems very susceptible to dents and scratches, something you do not want on your new $500 flashlight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif We'll see how is fairs later on.

After carefully perusing the manual, something I do not usually do, I plugged in the wall charger and began the 4 hour nearly unbearable wait to full charge. Each battery last 70 minutes continuous use, which is excellent for a flashlight, especially considering that it puts out 3200 lumens of light, while the Surefire M6's high output bulb puts out only 500 lumens (still quite a bit) and lasts only 20 minutes. The second battery will come in handy on long camping trips, as it provides the light with 2 hours and 20 mintues total run time. (I am sure most of you already know most of this flashlight's specs, but for those who don't, I am going into detail).

After charging, I went outside to turn it on (it was now dark outside at 8:30pm), and I flicked the switch. The light output of this thing is indescribable. It is extremely bright at first ignition, and only gets better from there. After it had finished its 10 second warm up to full power, I could aim probably over 1/2 a mile to illuminate apartment buildings from my second floor window. I was able to illuminate a helicopter flying overhead, probably unnerving the pilot in the process.

I love the whine that the HID ballast makes as it powers up. Makes the light sound all the more serious and insane. I will be posting pictures of it soon, so stay tuned!!!

Cliffnotes and pro's/con's
Pros: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
Insane light output
Simply badass because it is an HID flashlight
The familiar whine of HID as the light powers up
Rugged (for the most part) casing
Two batteries for 140 min total runtime
Durable custom-moulded case for transport and protection
Only $500, and brighter than some of the $2000 searchlights out there
PURE white light, with the familiar colored halo of HID
Tiltable head for any configuration

Cons: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif
Easily scratchable (and most likely dentable) light housing
Case could have had light padding to protect the light head (I will be adding this myself with some microfiber cloth)
$500, more expensive than some smaller, possibly more practical lights out there

Update: Here are the pictures. I couldn't get any good beamshots into the air with my camera, but I was able to get some good ones otherwise.

First, here are pictures of the light itself:

5.jpg

7.jpg

6.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

9.jpg

And here are the beamshots I was able to take:

Here is the spot mode on the wall of my garage about 50 feet away:
10.jpg

Here is the flood mode on the same garage from the same distance:
8.jpg

Here are a couple of pics I took of the light from the front. The pics are about 45 degrees off axis. The light is focused in spot mode, and the pics are taken within the spill cone of the light. The main beam of the light would probably destoy the camera. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The first one is taken with the same camera setting that the above pictures are taken with. The second pic is taken with a different setting, and shows more of the true light color. The first pic is a little more blue than the actual beam is in person.
0.jpg

1.jpg

Hope you like them! If anyone knows how to get some better beamshots, let me know and I will try.

-Wes

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Just acquired an ACRO (McCulloch) X990: pics soon!

Whiplash /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif on the new acquisition and welcome to CPF!

Nice review of the X990 thanks.

BEAM SHOTS! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Later
Sway

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast

Looks like owning an HID is becoming the standard for all CPF members, How much was that kidney going for on Ebay? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for your review and awaiting beamshots.

Alex

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast

Eh, HIDs are going for 50 bucks on ebay (if you look hard enough and get a wrecked headlight assembly). Then add a 50 buck or so Thor and TA-DA, DIY HID! And you still have all your body parts.

cheese

fracmeister

Newly Enlightened

On my last 9 day campout with the Boy Scouts I took the x990 and two fully charged batteries. Lasted all I needed. WAAAAAY out in the woods with no moon it got dark at night and that made this thing the second best light at camp. I managed to drop it about 20 feet on some rocks. I felt sick. But no damage at all... must have been good karma night.

Best light at camp? My VERY bigtime green laser.

TheQase

Newly Enlightened

i would love to see the beamshots, and pictures as well... i have wanted an HID light for so long its not funny. So the more pics i see, the more i can debate about it. i really want a maxabeam, but just cannot afford it...

fracmeister... what kind of laser you have?

J_Oei

Enlightened

Ya think that BrightGuy would do a group buy?

Wonder what price we'd get...

bmsmith

Enlightened
Re: Just acquired an ACRO (McCulloch) X990: pics s

Hmm.. J_Oei. I would be interested in a GB for the X990 if the deal was good.

TheQase

Newly Enlightened

i would be interested in a group buy -- depending on the price of course

Whiplash

Newly Enlightened

Sorry for the delay in the pictures and beamshots. I have been awaiting my RMA'd camera for a while. It should be here soon though. BrightGuy would probably do a group buy. When I ordered the X990 from them, they only had two in stock, and I don't think they carry much more than that on hand. The flashlight probably doesn't sell all that fast due to the price. But I'm sure they would jump at a group buy if they had enough people. It would probably interest them to sell so many of such a rarely-sold item so quickly. I'll try to find out.

And what is this laser you speak of? Sounds sweet.

-Wes

TheBeam

Enlightened

Nice pics Whip.
Could you Please, take a few pics at farther distances?

Thanks in advace

indenial

Enlightened

A group buy does sound interesting. I've never participated in one. Does it really result in a substantial savings in price?

bmsmith

Enlightened

indenial: It usually can result in some amount of savings. Of course it depends on what the item is and how the seller (dealer) is willing to negotiate down to. A guesstimate would be 5-10% or so. Doesn't seem like much, but 10% of $500 is $50, which would be a great deal.

Whiplash: Sorry for hijacking.
Back on topic: Nice pics, although I too would like to see some more far-away shots if possible?
Is the brownish color at the bottom of beamshot #1 due to the newness of the bulb and the salts within it? I think I remember SilverFox talking about that and how it will be better as more hours of use are put on the bulb.

Thanks for the pics!

Whiplash

Newly Enlightened

Yes, I will take some pics at greater distances soon. I know of friend whose house has a two-story window overlooking a parking lot, and you can see some apartement houses about 1/2 mile away. It lights up the apartments like a beast. Group buys do usually save you a little bit off of the normal price. You might be able to get one for $20-$30 off of brightguy's original price.

bmsmith: don't worry about thread jacking; you were discussing the light anyway. Yes the brownish color is from
the bulb's newness as far as I know. You can actually see the tint on the bulb itself if you look at it when it is off. I too have heard that it gets better as the light gets some hours on it. More pics up soon!

-Wes

J_Oei

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
But I'm sure they would jump at a group buy if they had enough people. It would probably interest them to sell so many of such a rarely-sold item so quickly. I'll try to find out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whiplash, did you hever contact BrightGuy about the group buy? (I don't want to contact him and have him think that there are two groups...) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Whiplash

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Whiplash, did you hever contact BrightGuy about the group buy? (I don't want to contact him and have him think that there are two groups...)

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, I did contact BG yesterday via email and I am awaiting a reply. I will try to find out by phone today as well.

Edit: I just got off of the phone with bright guy. I told him we would probably get about ten people to do it shipped to each person individually. Greg said that the best they could do would be $475. Not a huge savings over the original price of $495. The hassle of going through the group buy probably outweighs the $20 savings...

-Wes