Old time shaving

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wondering how many of you do the old time badger brush and shaving soap. My father did for a long time, but now uses shaving gell--as I have done for years.

Now, after hearing about all the "old style" premium shaving products that are better than the gells and foams, I'm considering giving it a try.

Any reccomendations?

-Jason

Joel

Newly Enlightened
Jason:

I've been using shaving soap and a Badger brush for close to twenty years now and I like it better than any foam that I've ever tried. The shaving soap that I like the best is from the UK - purchased from "Taylor of Old Bond Street." You can find their shop on the Web now, I used to make a long distance call to place an order. My favorite is the "Gentleman's Shave Cream" from the Eaton Collage Collection. It's a bit pricey at 6.50 (UK pounds) but a container will last quite a while. I'll usually purchase about four at a time to make the transaction worthwhile. Every so often I'll try a new high-tech foam that comes out on the market but in the end I always go back to shaving soap and a brush.
Joel

bald1

Enlightened
I've used a brush and shaving soap since I started shaving over 4 decades ago.

Perhaps the best brush I've owned (and still use) I bought from Germany here:
Shavemac

There are a lot of shaving soaps out there to choose from but unquestionably real badger is THE way to go in brushes.

--Bob

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to have to ask for a late B-day present. Shavemac has some nice sets. The art of shaving is one of the sites I had looked at the other day, but WAY overpriced. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

Thanks guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah,

A real badger brush is a very nice thing. That and some good shaving soap turn shaving into an art form. A meditative experience. And it has a nice feel to it.

On the other hand, those big long straight razors scare me. I tried to shave with one of those once, and I lost my nerve. Didn't even try it. Besides the new Gillette blades are incredible. Expensive, but worth it.

kaseri

Enlightened
I have been shaving with a badger brush and shaving soap for a long time. I am currently using a Merkur Slant Bar razor like this one.
Mercur_Soligen_Safety_Razor_198.jpg

I am starting to shave wit a straight razor as well. Believe it or not you don't cut yourself any more with a straight razor than you do with a normal razor. Go figure /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif Another interesting product is shaving "oil".

capnal

Enlightened
I got my first brush and soap set for this past Christmas. Didn't like it much at first and stopped using it until recently I picked up a new interest in it. I still think I might be using the wrong kind of soap. I have a Surrey (USA) brand brush, and I am using their soap. I mean, it lathers well, but my face just feels all torn up after using it rather than the gel-in-a-can. Some of those gels are great with the aloe and other ingredients. Nonetheless I have the Aveda shave cream, Kiehls, and an American Crew for a higher end shave cream products. I can use the American crew with my brush, and it even is in this large mouth round container.

About two weeks ago the wife and I were in Nordstrom's in Dallas looking at their high end Art of Shaving line. Nice stuff. I am thinking possible future gift potential.

To sum up, I would say that I really like using the brush and soap. However, the gel in a can is much faster for me. I think my next step will be to find just the right product to use with my brush.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
SHAVING BRUSHES
YOU'LL SOON SEE 'EM
ON THE SHELF
IN SOME MUSEUM
BURMA-SHAVE

(This set of signs is in the Smithsonian Institute's collection)

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow old thread. I use a Schick Krona with Derby Extra blades. I'm currently using Colonel Conk Amber soap but I also have some from Derby and a few home made ones.

saabgoblin

Enlightened
While I persopnally haven't shaved in a number of years, don't hesitate on using a brush because you can warm them up and have a nice lathery warm shave! Basically, I just use a clipper from time to time but I started using a brush over 18 years ago and I found the method to be very relaxing and you can really work the lather into your beard and it's nowhere near as chemically feeling as any of the can stuff.

sol92258

Newly Enlightened
I have several boar and badger brushes, a gaggle of vintage DE razors - mostly Gillettes, a couple of Schick Kronas, several adjustable razors, and even a straight (which I haven't started learning to use, yet).
And a drawer full of shave soaps and creams.
I love the traditional wetshaving, it's much better and closer, and even fun and enjoyable.
In fact, it's some discussion about flashlights on The Shave Den that enlightened me to this forum!